Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page >

so many products out there how do you decide what to use...

Notices
Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so many products out there how do you decide what to use...

Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 PM
6spdg37s
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default so many products out there how do you decide what to use...

I been trying some chemical guys products lately... i used to use adams products previously. But each product line has multiple choices of the same product. chemical guys has 10 diff waxes, 10 diff glazes etc;

what makes you decide one over the other ?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Received 532 Likes on 408 Posts

That is the problem with Chemical Guys. They have 10 of everything, and none of them are really that great anyway. LOL

While I have tried many different products on my own, I also wasted too much money. What I ended up doing was joining a couple FB pro detailing groups, subscribed to some popular YouTube pro detailers, and joined the Autogeek forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there if you look for it. My current regiment of detailing products I use are all due to product reviews and recommendations by pro detailers.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 291 Likes on 247 Posts

Pretty much going with what the professionals recommend in the forums for each specific task (seats, trim, paint, glass, etc)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 521 Likes on 428 Posts

Oh thats easy, just buy them all. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
Former USMC (05-05-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 PM
mdb917
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the many confounding issues with detailing products is the over abundance of choices. I'm not saying going back to when only Turtle Wax and Blue Corral were the only options is preferable.

Most of the serious detailers on this and other car forums and/or detailing forums have broke their credit card several times chasing the 'ultimate' product. As FYRARMS states, paraphrasing here, is absolutely true in that you get to a point of spending way too much money and find there's diminishing returns.

My suggestion is to pick up a couple of products that are highly touted by someone you trust - can be on the forums or personal friends or Facebook groups, etc. Try them and if YOU like them, use them.

One caveat to that may be that detailing product's technology is changing just like almost everything else so if something intrigues you down the road try it. If it works, great, if not then you still have your favorite to fall back on.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 AM
Former USMC
CF Senior Member

Received 110 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
I been trying some chemical guys products lately... i used to use adams products previously. But each product line has multiple choices of the same product. chemical guys has 10 diff waxes, 10 diff glazes etc;

what makes you decide one over the other ?
Greetings,

There are many to chose from and many "tout" best shine, easy to apply, lasts forever, perfect results, etc. In other words, many stretch the truth when it comes to advertising. Years ago, I conducted an experiment on the hood of my BMW...yep, sectioned off the hood in several sections and applied several different waxes...the results were revealing.

I personally use Griot's Garage products...they have a complete line of great performing waxes, polishes, pads, dressings, cleaners, etc.

The bottom line - good luck...try a few.

Semper Fi
Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

ZAINO
Old 05-06-2019, 12:58 AM
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 173 Posts

As a pro detailer, and tried more products than 42 people, go with ceramics. My "go to" product is Feynlabs Ceramic Lite
It simply kicks butt over any of the other products I tried. I was a staunch Zaino user and built a very successful business with Zaino, but as the Ceramics creeped in, I found Ceramic Lite to outrun everyone. A little obscure, but that is good.
Price per lb, as they say, it simply outruns waxes, polymers and anything else.
Very easy to apply, it has decent durability. Top it off with Polish Angel High Gloss after every wash, and your car will simply look incredible for a very, very long time.
I am in the process of building another detail business in Orange County, Ca, and not even wasting my time on anything but Ceramics, with Feynlabs Ceramic Lite, and Polish Angel being my standard detail product.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 AM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
As a pro detailer, and tried more products than 42 people, go with ceramics. My "go to" product is Feynlabs Ceramic Lite
It simply kicks butt over any of the other products I tried. I was a staunch Zaino user and built a very successful business with Zaino, but as the Ceramics creeped in, I found Ceramic Lite to outrun everyone. A little obscure, but that is good.
Price per lb, as they say, it simply outruns waxes, polymers and anything else.
Very easy to apply, it has decent durability. Top it off with Polish Angel High Gloss after every wash, and your car will simply look incredible for a very, very long time.
I am in the process of building another detail business in Orange County, Ca, and not even wasting my time on anything but Ceramics, with Feynlabs Ceramic Lite, and Polish Angel being my standard detail product.
So what would happen if you use that Polish Angel High Gloss detail spray on a Zaino car? Will this product still outperform the Zaino Clear Sealant and Z-8 Detail Spray?
Or would there be problems mixing up these two products using Z-7 car wash, AIO, Z-6, Z-8, and ZCS? with the Polish Angel High Gloss ?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:30 AM
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON View Post
So what would happen if you use that Polish Angel High Gloss detail spray on a Zaino car? Will this product still outperform the Zaino Clear Sealant and Z-8 Detail Spray?
Or would there be problems mixing up these two products using Z-7 car wash, AIO, Z-6, Z-8, and ZCS? with the Polish Angel High Gloss ?
Angel Polish will out perform Zaino's Z8 2X.
You know I have been a very solid Zaino advocate but unfortunately they have fallen behind. I will leave it that with inquiries as to where he is at with ceramics.. Polish Angel over anything else will kick butt with durability and shine. It is THE ULTIMATE detail spray
Old 05-06-2019, 02:58 AM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
Angel Polish will out perform Zaino's Z8 2X.
You know I have been a very solid Zaino advocate but unfortunately they have fallen behind. I will leave it that with inquiries as to where he is at with ceramics.. Polish Angel over anything else will kick butt with durability and shine. It is THE ULTIMATE detail spray
If I were to use that Angel Polish spray over the Z-6 regular Zaino detail spray , higher end Z-8 detail spray and ZCS would there be any kind of problem crossing these two brands? I would still use the Z-7 carwash, and the Zaino AIO..The ZCS and the other Z-8 spray is very costly especially using them both together in their maintenance pack.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:43 AM
endus
CF Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Started out on the autopia forums and advice from a friend that detailed cars for extra cash to get some guidance, and then just experimented from there. I would say you will just know when you hit on a product or process that works for you. This was late 90s early 00s and the field has gotten pretty big since then.

If I had to recommend a simple way to start I would suggest Menzerna polish and Pinnacle for everything else. Pinnacle is always bubbling under the surface...widely used but not tremendously popular. I don't know why...EVERY product of theirs I have used has been both extremely easy to use and delivered excellent results.

Last edited by endus; 05-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM
ssg10587
CF Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

CG seems like all their stuff is just okay. I personally would check out Meguiars and Carpro products. Also Turtle Wax gets a bad rap but I've liked many of their products. Id recommend giving their products a try and seeing how you like them.

I also read a ton. Wasn't too keen on fusso coat but more I read and when I tried I loved it and have it on all my cars.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:01 AM
BIGMAC
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ZAINO
I have used Zaino for years and have tried numerous other products but keep coming back to Z. However, I now prefer Bead Maker as the final step applied over All-in-One and/or Z-2 polishes instead of Z-8 Spray Seal or ZCS Clear Seal. There are a bewildering number of great products out there and it just comes down to personal preference- like Coke or Pepsi.

BIGMAC

Last edited by BIGMAC; 05-07-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:15 AM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGMAC View Post
I have used Zaino for years and have tried numerous other products but keep coming back to Z. However, I now prefer Bead Maker as the final step applied over All-in-One and/or Z-2 polishes instead of Z-8 Spray Seal or ZCS Clear Seal. There are a bewildering number of great products out there and it just comes down to personal preference- like Coke or Pepsi.

BIGMAC
Never heard of Bead Maker. Do you use this in addition to the Zaino or have stopped using Zaino and strictly using only the Bead Maker product?
Where did you get this product?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM
BIGMAC
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Never heard of Bead Maker. Do you use this in addition to the Zaino or have stopped using Zaino and strictly using only the Bead Maker product?
Where did you get this product?
I still use Zaino AIO and Z2 as a base. I use Bead Maker as a final coat and as a drying aid and quick detailer instead of Zaino Z8 and ZCS. Google Bead Maker and you will find numerous reviews and discussions. It can be purchased on line from a number of places including Amazon.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGMAC:
FYRARMS (05-07-2019), LS WON (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGMAC View Post
I still use Zaino AIO and Z2 as a base. I use Bead Maker as a final coat and as a drying aid and quick detailer instead of Zaino Z8 and ZCS. Google Bead Maker and you will find numerous reviews and discussions. It can be purchased on line from a number of places including Amazon.
Found it and it costs a lot less than the the Polish Angel.
https://psdetailproducts.com/i-23875...rotectant.html
$10.95

In fact it costs a lot less than the Zaino Clear Sealant for $29.95 and the Z-8 which is 19.95.

Last edited by LS WON; 05-07-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:23 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Yeah, once you use Bead Maker, it is hard not to become addicted. I started out buying the $10 bottle to try it. That bottle now lives in my "trunk bag" that I take to car shows and race events.

I ended up buying an entire gallon and a spare 32oz bottle from P&S. I had a spray nozzle from another product that creates a perfect atomized mist, so I used that in the 32oz bottle. This is my go-to garage setup. For me, Bead Maker is the perfect topper and after-wash drying aid product. Cheap, smells great, spreads nicely and flashes quickly, adds noticeable gloss and provides extra protection. And it works well on top of any wax or sealant, and any surface. I mean, literally. Paint, glass, chrome, plastic, silicone, vinyl, etc. When I am done wiping down the paint, I use the damp MF towels to wipe down my seats and interior panels. Polymer goodness!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Gixxerman
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Suggesting car care stuff is like the C7 C8 debates... people have their systems and protect them and their virtues vehemently. I use Griott's, Adams, Mr. Pink, Meguiars, Blackfire McKees.. etc. etc. I find what works for my use and stick with it...nobody makes everything the best. I would suggest Griot's Speed Shine go to for years and they even have a show version now that can be used in sun. Just stay away from overly cheap walmart or off brand garbage.. use tried and true at least and do research, maybe get samples and test it. Good luck !
FYRARMS (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:53 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gixxerman View Post
I would suggest Griot's Speed Shine go to for years and they even have a show version now that can be used in sun.
I have the "Best Of Show" detail spray. It is definitely more slick than the regular Speed Shine, and it smells amazing. But, it was still a little streaky for me at a car show in the sun. My Electron Blue paint shows every little thing though, so maybe a lighter color would be more forgiving. Can't go wrong with either Griot's spray, though! I am a huge Griot's fan.
Gixxerman (05-07-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so many products out there how do you decide what to use...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: