Notices
Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At home ceramic coat

Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
03BlkZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default At home ceramic coat

I have a 2008 Z06 that has had nothing but Zaino applied since the day it was new. I am starting to get tired of applying the products to the car even though it looks great. I am curious to how the at home ceramic coating products hold up over time. I'd it better to do it yourself or pay someone and are the at home products as good as what a pro would use. I would like to hear from some that have applied it themselves and how it is holding up.
Thanks!
Pic for attention!

The following users liked this post:
stig-zzz (05-19-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:52 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 291 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't have the months/years duration on my C7 answer for you, but I've tried the Blackfire, Kamikaze Miyabi, and Kamikaze ISM Coat 2.0. I applied them all myself after paint correction.

Blackfire is the easiest to apply, it flashes within 45 seconds and you just wipe it off. I put it on my black truck and it stays shiny, looks like a regular wax job basically.

Miyabi is also easy to apply and very reflective, like glass. I prefer this one on my C7, which is also black.

ISM is not quite as forgiving but looks like a very fine wax job to me. Definitely pull the car outside or have very bright lights in the garage, you'll miss some spots in the crevices of the body if you don't, and then you'll have the do the whole panel over again. When I tire of the ISM coat, I'm taking it all off and just putting on 2xMiyabi next time.

Both the Kamikaze products are a little more hydrophobic than the Blackfire, water flies right off as you're washing the car.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Adam's Polish
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

If maintained by our Boost you can get up to 2 years with our Ceramic Coating and right at a year with our Ceramic Spray.
Both are easy to apply.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/ceramics.html
Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
03BlkZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish View Post
If maintained by our Boost you can get up to 2 years with our Ceramic Coating and right at a year with our Ceramic Spray.
Both are easy to apply.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/ceramics.html
I noticed on your website that you offer a few paint correction kits as well. Would this be a good kit for me? I have never done paint correction but I'm pretty handy and think I can do a good job.
https://adamspolishes.com/media/cata...s_21mm_kit.jpg
Old 05-16-2019, 05:21 PM
CJ Willys
CF Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

... ty
Old 05-17-2019, 09:47 AM
ssg10587
CF Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Honestly man it sounds like you have a black car and are just tired of always cleaning it Trust me I hear ya since my DD is black with soft paint.

Ceramic coatings are great but I haven't had the experience that they keep the car cleaner than a wax or sealant. They just do the same thing except last longer.

You may want to consider Collinite 845, finishkare high temp wax or fusso coat. They last a while and are easy to apply. Ceramic coating, I think, are also a bit pricey and can be finnicky.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 AM
JDSKY
CF Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 94 Posts

I have no experience with Ceramic coatings but feel compelled to post about your car. The paint on your car looks fantastic for being over 10 years old and it just looks great.

I am a huge fan of impeccably maintained black cars and as an owner of 3 of them in the past am now just that, an admirer of other's black cars. Hopefully you end up with a product that helps keep that ride looking awesome.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 PM
victorf
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I applied on my '05's terrible looking original exterior rubber trims with ceramic coating 6 years ago and since, they always look like new and maintenance free. But foolishly continuing to waste time on maintaining body paint with conventional sealant.

Decided to ceramic coat using Kamikaze on a new car purchase last year as well as on my '05,

Done last July on both cars.

Almost a year without the traditional time consuming and redundant sealant and polishing to maintain the "look".

Washing weekly is a real pleasure now and all without follow up with reapplication of trim/rubber sealant as well.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:30 PM
03BlkZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDSKY View Post
I have no experience with Ceramic coatings but feel compelled to post about your car. The paint on your car looks fantastic for being over 10 years old and it just looks great.

I am a huge fan of impeccably maintained black cars and as an owner of 3 of them in the past am now just that, an admirer of other's black cars. Hopefully you end up with a product that helps keep that ride looking awesome.
Thanks! My car is pretty much a garage queen and has been since day one of ownership by my father In law. It gets driven about one day a week and maybe on the weekend if weather is decent. The car gets washed after every drive to help maintain that look but it takes soooooooo much time. I'm just looking for something that has longer lasting hydrophobic abilities that is easier to maintain.this is my second time owning a black Z06 so it has been a constant in my life but the older I get the less I want to spend time in the hot garage applying polishes and sealants.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM
BudgetPlan1
CF Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 132 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

For me and my individual preferences, Kamikaze has exceeded my expectations and is what is on my personal cars. 22ple is a very, very close 2nd...excellent products as well.

Kamikaze offers a bit more complexity and depth of appearance than 22ple and the Zipang offering with its "...semi self-healing characteristics, meaning that the appearance of small swirls or imperfections in the coating surface will reduce when exposed to heat.", is a nice plus. Not a suit of self healing armor by any means but a nice benefit.

The Kamikaze stuff just plain works for me and I enjoy using it.

However...

First thing you should do is decide what YOU want out of a coating; things to consider:

1. Durability, longevity

2. What kind of appearance? i.e. hard, candy-like gloss or deeper, warmer wax-like glow

3. Ease of application important?

4. Climate; what might work nice in Arizona (dry) might not be so nice in New Jersey (rain/snow)

5. Do you like beading or sheeting?

6. Are self-cleaning characteristics important to you or are you gonna wash your car weekly regardless?

7. How much do you wanna spend?

8. Daily driver or hobby car?

While quartz/glass/ceramic coatings are all in the same general category with respect to LSP’s, there are subtle differences in them and you may as well go with one that is strong in your primary areas of concern.

And FWIW, claims of hardness, scratch resistance and such are, IMO, way over-marketed with coatings. While they may provide some minor resistance to light marring, it's a harsh world out there and many things (jewelry banging paint around door handles, boxes hitting trunk areas while loading, leaning on hood of vehicle with grimy sweatshirts, etc) *will* leave a mark. Problem with coatings is the only way to remedy those marks/marring is to re-polish (removing coating) and re-coating that area, generally an entire panel as many coatings don't lend themselves well to spot fixes. If you're horribly OCD-ish about having a totally defect free car for 2 years, a coating may not be the best way to go...

Longevity is likewise impossible to truly predict due to variations in climate, vehicle usage and maintenance habits. Claims listed on packages/advertisements are generally somewhat, uh...optimistic. Not always, but usually...

I live in NE Ohio so all ny findings/thoughts are based on that climate. The characteristics of a coating that matter most to me are:

1. Great Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.

2. Durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs. Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to our Corvette during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.

3. Appearance: Well, stuff has to look good. Has to accentuate body lines, curves and hard edges. It needs to make me stop and admire it when walking towards it, walking away from it or catching a glance in the garage when I take out the garbage.

Have tried a few different coatings, watched 'em over the course of 20k-40k miles in NE Ohio, variety of vehicle usage and maintenance patterns.

To be honest, of all the coatings I've tried, there were really no bad products but some did particular things a little better/different than others so I went with the one (s) that excelled in areas I found important.

Read, research, try a few if you can. Or, just go with someone else's favorite as determined by insightful comments such as 'Product XXX is the shiznit!" with no further elaboration on why it's so funk-tacular.

YMMV. Keep in mind that what may be best for me may not be best for you. Lotsa varying considerations.

If you like reading, kept some notes and thoughts on coatings I have used over the past 2-3 years. 20+ different coatings, 15+ different toppers/boosters used in about 36 different combos. Can find 'em here if interested:
https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/
Old Today, 08:38 AM
Lotsacubes
CF Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Used Feynlab Ceramic Lite. Easy to use and the result is terrific. I did 2 coats. I don’t have the variety of product experience as BP1 above, but I’m impressed with Feynlab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At home ceramic coat

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: