Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is Meguiar’s ultimate wax the Best over

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Is Meguiar’s ultimate wax the Best over

The counter polish? Need to know what is.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:34 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Meg's Ultimate Wax (paste or liquid) is a good quality product. However, a couple things here...

a) Define what you mean by "best". Best what? Best gloss? Best durability? Best price? Best ease of application?

b) This product is used for protection. But, you ask about polish, which is used for correction. What task are you doing?

c) Ask 10 different people what is "best" and you will get 10 different answers. There is no correct answer, either.
The following 2 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
Alwyn678 (06-19-2019), yamabob (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

One correction. 10 people 11 answers.. Also what is " best" in one area-driving will not be in another due to conditions-climate etc will affect the product.

Last edited by yamabob; 06-18-2019 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Meg's Ultimate Wax (paste or liquid) is a good quality product. However, a couple things here...

a) Define what you mean by "best". Best what? Best gloss? Best durability? Best price? Best ease of application?

b) This product is used for protection. But, you ask about polish, which is used for correction. What task are you doing?

c) Ask 10 different people what is "best" and you will get 10 different answers. There is no correct answer, either.

Excellent answer.

I guess ease of application (with out and swirl marks) and durability are most important.

I am in Georgia (heat & humidity)

Last edited by Alwyn678; 06-19-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Why must be it an OTC? If so ( and I can't believe I'm about to say this ) Turtle Wax Seal and Shine
Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've always used Meguiar's wax. Back in the day it came in a black plastic tub with a screw on lid and was some good stuff. Came with a Meguiar's shield metalflake sticker like this one on the left. If I could find the same formula now I'd buy it.

Now a days.....I always use Meguiar's #26 yellow in liquid form and have had great results.

Last edited by OLE442; 06-21-2019 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
I guess ease of application (with out and swirl marks) and durability are most important.

I am in Georgia (heat & humidity)
Okay, a couple more things...

a) The wax you use doesn't cause swirl marks. You do. Make sure you use proper applicators and proper microfiber removal towels.

b) Heat kills waxes and sealants, so you definitely want a durable one. I highly recommend Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. It is probably one of the most durable bottled wax/sealant hybrid products on the market. Holds up well to heat. You will have to check around, as some Advance Auto and other retailers carry it on the shelf. Otherwise, just buy it online.

c) I also agree with yamabob. If you can't find the Collinite 845 on the shelf, or you want something that is MUCH easier to apply and remove, pick up a bottle or two of Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. Turtle Wax knocked this one out of the park. Good durability for a spray product, and you can coat the whole car in a couple minutes. I will bet it lasts longer than the Meg's Ultimate Wax, too. It is a much newer product made with newer tech.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OLE442
Now a days.....I always use Meguiar's #26 yellow in liquid form and have had great results.
Meg's #26 is a great carnauba that definitely provides added gloss. I have a bottle of it on hand, as I always have over the years. Unfortunately, #26 doesn't last very long. It is an excellent "show wax" at best. The Georgia heat will kill that wax pretty fast.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:02 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Meg's #26 is a great carnauba that definitely provides added gloss. I have a bottle of it on hand, as I always have over the years. Unfortunately, #26 doesn't last very long. It is an excellent "show wax" at best. The Georgia heat will kill that wax pretty fast.
I have always used the liquid and had decent results. I used to be a car detailing machine but since I got into my mid 60's there seems to be more important things to me that hand detailing and hand waxing! Priorities change. My street cars have paid the price. I even take them through the local Mike's Car wash which NEVER used to happen. Things that can happen to the finish on my drivers that used to bother me are not as big a deal anymore. In 10 to 15 years it won't matter to me anymore so why get all shook about it. I might see if I can get the paste version of # 26 yellow to see if that formula holds up any better. The liquid is so easy to apply that I hate to make the switch. I wonder if any of the new stuff uses the original formula as the original Meguiar's that came in the black tub, with included applicator pad and that nice metalflake sticker? I'd sure like to try it again! It was great stuff. I've used Meguiar's products almost exclusively since the late 60's.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OLE442
I might see if I can get the paste version of # 26 yellow to see if that formula holds up any better. The liquid is so easy to apply that I hate to make the switch.
Honestly, don't switch if it works for you! It is a nice wax, and if it isn't on a daily driver, it will last a while.

I wonder if any of the new stuff uses the original formula as the original Meguiar's that came in the black tub, with included applicator pad and that nice metalflake sticker? I'd sure like to try it again! It was great stuff. I've used Meguiar's products almost exclusively since the late 60's.
The new stuff has changed, but definitely for the better! They blend synthetic polymers with the carnauba, which makes it easier to apply and remove, less dusting, and makes it last longer.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 06-21-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Meguiar’s ultimate wax the Best over

Quick Reply: Is Meguiar’s ultimate wax the Best over