Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Product review: A car duster (blasphemy!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:28 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Default Product review: A car duster (blasphemy!)

Yes, I have been very anti-car duster for a long time. I had used the popular California Car Dusters for yeeeears before I really started actually caring about auto detailing. I do still own a few. However, the big ones have been permanently dedicated to removing light brake dust from the face and spokes of my wheels after a drive. Roll up to a car show, lightly dust off the wheels, then give them a wipe-down with some waterless wash or wax-free detail spray. *boom* Done. I do use one of the mini versions for quickly removing dust and random pet hair from my interior. The little one works well for that.

Since I refuse to drag a dirty paraffin wax-soaked mop across my polished paint just to remove light dust, I have always used the much safer method of dust removal: waterless wash or detail spray and soft MF towels. Unfortunately, that method takes more time, especially if you want to do a proper job and not accidentally put micro-scratches or swirls back into the paint. Also, if I am doing this job outside at a car show or cruise night or whatever, there is a good chance that the sun-baked paint will cause whatever I wipe on the surface to smear or streak. I just want a fast and safe way to remove light dust from my clean paint without having to spray and wipe the whole car down. I mean, chances are good that I just sprayed and wiped down the whole car down before I left my garage.

Well, I was watching Scott at Dallas Paint Correction on YouTube talking about a simple alternative that quickly removes light dust from the paint without causing any damage. He recommended a genuine lambs wool duster many people use in their homes. Super-soft, and the lambs wool has natural lanolin in it, which gently attracts dust and pulls it up into the fibers away from the paint. I bought one from Amazon and have been using it on both of my cars.

My Z06 is always clean, but gets dusty sitting in the garage for a few days. This duster works perfectly for removing dust before pulling it out for a drive, and after putting it away for the night after cruising. I just gently tickle the surface of the paint with the tips of the fibers (no pressure) and the dust is gone. I would say it doesn't pull up every dust particle like a California Duster does (that sticky paraffin wax grabs everything), but the lambs wool kind of picks up 80% of it. The remaining 20% it kind of pushes off the car without actually touching it. Like a reverse static charge or something. Anyway, I checked my paint with an LED light, and there were no signs of any micro-scratches or streaks or anything. I have used it a few times and still see no damage. Two other neat things about this duster are that a) it fits in the same storage sleeve bag thing that the California Duster comes in, and b) it is easy to clean. You know those little "troll doll" things you spin and make their hair poof out? Yeah, I do that to this duster outside of my garage and it kicks out most of the dust it just picked up. Like, roll the handle fast in your palms like you are trying to start a fire at a campground. Since there is no paraffin wax in the duster to hold dirt in, it just kind of flies out when you spin it hard enough to defeat the static charge. When it does get dirty, you can wash it by hand with mild soap and let it air dry. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

Here is Scott's video on it. He gets a little silly in this one...

The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (07-22-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:29 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Used the duster and then snapped this picture. No streaks or micro-scratches after use, even on my soft carnauba application!

Old 06-20-2019, 03:09 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

She's purdy
FYRARMS (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good looking Z.......

Need to design a flux capacitor to decharge my car of ESD, at 8% humidity down here the more I wipe it down the more things magically attach to it......and when I get back from a cruise fagetaboutit.
FYRARMS (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:04 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I have two detail sprays in my arsenal that seem to help lessen dust clinging. Kenotek "Showroom Shine" (my favorite) and Chemical Guys "Extreme Slick Synthetic". Both are pure synthetic detailers with anti-static properties. Kenotek is my go-to detailer I wipe the car down with before pulling out for a drive. My car wears carnauba, so it is normally a dust magnet. Both detailers seem to help.
SixAddict (06-20-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 PM
CDNZ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^
Nice to see your car! Beauty!
FYRARMS (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Thank you, sir!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Dave in Pa
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I have two detail sprays in my arsenal that seem to help lessen dust clinging. Kenotek "Showroom Shine" (my favorite) and Chemical Guys "Extreme Slick Synthetic". Both are pure synthetic detailers with anti-static properties. Kenotek is my go-to detailer I wipe the car down with before pulling out for a drive. My car wears carnauba, so it is normally a dust magnet. Both detailers seem to help.
Because I read another post where you said you liked the Kenotek, I ordered some and have used it recently, did like the way it went on etc. But now that you mention the anti-static properties I realize that I am seeing less dust!! DBGM paint on my 01 Vert so the dust thing does bug me. Thanks for the great info!! Dave
Old 06-21-2019, 07:24 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave in Pa
Because I read another post where you said you liked the Kenotek, I ordered some and have used it recently, did like the way it went on etc. But now that you mention the anti-static properties I realize that I am seeing less dust!! DBGM paint on my 01 Vert so the dust thing does bug me. Thanks for the great info!! Dave
Glad to hear it is working well for you! It really is a great product!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 AM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Good so far in regards to lambs wool duster. Has helped with pollen and overall dust and pollen in the air. Been using it on my black honda, which has a terribly soft clearcoat and I dont think I am picking up any scratches.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ssg10587
Good so far in regards to lambs wool duster. Has helped with pollen and overall dust and pollen in the air. Been using it on my black honda, which has a terribly soft clearcoat and I dont think I am picking up any scratches.
Excellent! I soooooooo prefer this over the California Car Scratcher. I haven't noticed any surface damage either. It is just so soft!

Get notified of new replies

To Product review: A car duster (blasphemy!)

Quick Reply: Product review: A car duster (blasphemy!)