Notices
Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product review: Turtle Wax ICE "Seal 'n Shine"

Old 06-22-2019, 06:04 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Received 781 Likes on 548 Posts
Default Product review: Turtle Wax ICE "Seal 'n Shine"

Figured I would make an official product review thread for this stuff...

So, today I washed and polished my pearl white Infiniti G37X daily driver. Even though I already gave her a spring detail in April, I really wanted to try this new Seal 'n Shine product without having any base protection underneath it. Just so I could give it a fair evaluation as a standalone means of protection. She was wearing a base coat of Chemical Guys "White Light" glaze/sealant hybrid, a layer of Collinite 845 wax/sealant hybrid, and a top coat of P&S Bead Maker, so I had to take it all off.

Washed with Adam's Polishes "Strip Wash" soap.
Wiped down with 4:1 dilution of 3D #109 "Orange Citrus" degreaser.
Rinsed off and dried with forced air.
Polished with Poorboy's World SSR-1 polish on Lake County CCS green foam medium polishing pads.
Wiped down with Chemical Guys "Wipe Out" surface cleanser.

The surface seemed very clean at that point, so I applied the "Seal 'n Shine" as the bottle instructed. Pretty much just goes on like any other spray wax or detail spray. Spray the panels, spread it out with one MF towel, and buff the residue with a second MF towel. Did the paint, windows, and lights. Here are my notes about the application:

1) Same consistency as most spray waxes. A little thicker than a detail spray. Spray head is decent.
2) Smells like baby powder or a Glade bathroom deodorizer. Not terrible, but not as nice as fruity scents.
3) Spreading it was a little "grabby". Not slick and fast like a spray wax. It felt similar to spreading Sonax "Brilliant Shine Detailer" when I dilute it.
4) Buffing it off took some muscle. The ICE "Spray Wax" removes much more easily. It is no surprise this is supposed to be durable. It feels like it.
5) My paint is well-polished, so it is difficult to identify any added gloss. However, I judged it like this... With just the "Seal 'n Shine", my paint looks more glossy than when it wore a coat of glaze and a layer of wax. But, it looks less glossy than when I topped my glaze/wax combo with Bead Maker. It is in the middle. I did notice that the metallic and pearl in my paint didn't jump out as much as it did before. That "White Light" glaze and Collinite 845 does wonders. I am guessing this would make a good topper for my previous glaze/wax combo in the future.

We are supposed to get rain overnight and tomorrow. I will try to snap some water-beading pics and check out the hydrophobic properties of this stuff. I am going to leave this stuff on as long as I can to get an idea of how durable it is. I drive it daily around Chicagoland and it gets parked outside most of the time, so it will take a beating. I do miss the appearance of my glaze/wax summer combo coat, so we will see if I can hold out before caving in and re-detailing this car again soon. LOL

Overall initial opinion is that it definitely adds gloss, and it definitely bonds to the surface quickly and firmly. I mean, when it flashes, it takes a little work to buff it off. It already seems tough. Hard to judge white paint in photos, but here are a couple right after finishing...

Oh, and here is a bonus "look back at it" photo of the Z06 when I pulled it out of the garage. Finishing polish + acrylic glaze + Collinite 845 + Bead Maker = I can't make "Electron Blue" paint look any better!

The following 7 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
acrace (07-05-2019), CamarosRus (06-23-2019), capevettes (06-22-2019), CDNZ (06-22-2019), JerriVette (07-04-2019), mdb917 (06-28-2019), SixAddict (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:08 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Oh, one more thing. I noticed in a couple YouTube videos that the "Seal 'n Shine" bottle label says something about the blend being a carnauba emulsion + polymers + SiO2. My label doesn't say anything about SiO2 being an ingredient. I am not sure if they already changed the formula or what. Just an observation.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:15 PM
charley95
CF Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Pretty muggy here in Peoria. I wonder if that had anything to do with wipe off? I used it today too and it really wasn't too much effort to remove for me. Of course I only did one panel and all the door jambs. Looks good in your pics. Here's my fender with the TW S & S.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:38 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Yeah, definitely humid today. That might have been part of the problem. Wipe-off wasn't too bad, just not as easy as a detail spray or spray wax for me.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:18 AM
dmyers
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That electron blue looks awesome
FYRARMS (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM
bigcypress
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

two questions : 1] is it as hard to wipe off as the old simonize in the yellow can 2] would your blue vette be the same color that my wife's 2004 convertible is or is the 2004 just similar in color yours looks bluer but difference may be that i'm usual seeing her car in the garage . . . peace
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 AM
ShagVette
CF Senior Member

Received 477 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
That electron blue looks awesome
Yup, and those rims look great!
FYRARMS (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigcypress View Post
1] is it as hard to wipe off as the old simonize in the yellow can
I have never used a Simonize product in my lifetime. However, the answer is surely "no". This is a spray product, not a paste. It removes like any other spray wax or spray sealant.

2] would your blue vette be the same color that my wife's 2004 convertible is or is the 2004 just similar in color yours looks bluer but difference may be that i'm usual seeing her car in the garage . . . peace
"Electron Blue" was only available in the 2002 and 2003 model years.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM
ssg10587
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Debating between this and the regular spray wax. You used both Fyr or just the seal so far? Looking for a drying aid and for a layer on top of my sealant.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Debating between this and the regular spray wax. You used both Fyr or just the seal so far? Looking for a drying aid and for a layer on top of my sealant.
I have used both. The "Spray Wax" spreads and removes more quickly for me, but the "Seal 'n Shine" is definitely more durable. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. They are very similar. If layering on top of a base sealant, I would probably choose the "Seal 'n Shine", as the polymers may cross-link with your base layer. Should be super-durable!
ssg10587 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Got some rain overnight. Snapped some quick pics when I left for work. I never put much faith in water beading as a sign of a product's protection capabilities, but it is always good to see that there is something going on. Beads seem pretty tight and round. Not as tight as the beads from Collinite 845, but tighter than when I top the paint with P&S "Bead Maker" or Kenotek "Showroom Shine". So far, so good...

Old 06-24-2019, 12:32 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Old 07-04-2019, 02:57 AM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Been parking the daily outside every day and night. We have been getting rain storms just about every other day. Bucket-washed the car once using a wax-free soap since applying the Seal 'n Shine. I have also wiped down the car twice to remove dust and water droplets after a light shower. I was as careful as possible to use products that didn't really add any protection, as I really want to test the Seal 'n Shine by itself. I stayed away from using detail sprays, and I didn't even use Optimum No-Rinse, as it does leave polymer protection behind. I was gifted a bottle of Adam's Polishes Waterless Wash, so I used it. Very nice and slick product, and like everything Adam's, it smells amazing.

So far, so good. Seems very hydrophobic. This morning after last night's storms...

acrace (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 05:20 PM
acrace
CF Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the reviews. I always am on the lookout for an easy to use, easy to find, economical product for my wife’s and daughter’s cars. I saw this product a few months ago and have heard good things about it.
FYRARMS (07-04-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Another update:

Brian at Apex Detail puts "Seal 'n Shine" up against two good SiO2-infused "ceramic" spray sealants and it destroys them in the durability tests! The Turtle Wax actually held up against an industrial cleaner at 100% (non-diluted). Next, he is going to put it up against two entry-level true ceramic coatings! This stuff is AMAZING, and even MORE amazing at around $9 per bottle. LOL

Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 PM
charley95
CF Senior Member

A Tuber from Australia just did an excellent review on TW S & S. His channel is " Car Craft Auto Detailing". He's by far my favorite reviewer.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
ufso
CF Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

ZAINO 'till I die!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by charley95 View Post
A Tuber from Australia just did an excellent review on TW S & S. His channel is " Car Craft Auto Detailing". He's by far my favorite reviewer.
Added him to my list!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ufso View Post
ZAINO 'till I die!!!
Wrong thread.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 PM
charley95
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FYRARMS View Post
Added him to my list!
He's definitely a master IMO.
FYRARMS (07-11-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Product review: Turtle Wax ICE "Seal 'n Shine"

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: