Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a heavy brake dust cleaner safe on all wheels.

Notices
Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please recommend a heavy brake dust cleaner safe on all wheels.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 AM
important
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Please recommend a heavy brake dust cleaner safe on all wheels.

Looking for something safe on an wheels and is effective for caked, baked on brake dust.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Received 754 Likes on 535 Posts

The latest on-the-shelf brake dust-dissolving secret is Eagle One Wheel Cleaner "for Black and Plasti-coated" wheels. Make sure it is the one for Plasti-coated wheels, as the bottles look the same. Walmart sells it for under $5. It works as well as the $20 iron removers I have used. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. If the wheels are that caked on, I would let this stuff dwell a while, hose it off, then apply it again and use a wheel brush to agitate the rest off. Then just rinse clean.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:04 AM
important
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FYRARMS View Post
The latest on-the-shelf brake dust-dissolving secret is Eagle One Wheel Cleaner "for Black and Plasti-coated" wheels. Make sure it is the one for Plasti-coated wheels, as the bottles look the same. Walmart sells it for under $5. It works as well as the $20 iron removers I have used. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. If the wheels are that caked on, I would let this stuff dwell a while, hose it off, then apply it again and use a wheel brush to agitate the rest off. Then just rinse clean.

Bro, if you recommend something, I know its good.

Strange thing, the reviews on Amazon claim it cant be used on aluminum or PVD. Not sure which type of wheels this refers to.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by important; 07-07-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Jimnc
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Sonax.
The following users liked this post:
Dragon Tamer (07-09-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:31 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by important View Post
Strange thing, the reviews on Amazon claim it cant be used on aluminum or PVD. Not sure which type of wheels this refers to.
Make sure you get the one that is for "Black and Plasti-coat". I think that reviewer bought the wrong bottle for what he was looking for. No surprise, as Eagle One screwed the pooch by making the bottles look the same.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM
important
CF Senior Member

Make sure you get the one that is for "Black and Plasti-coat". I think that reviewer bought the wrong bottle for what he was looking for. No surprise, as Eagle One screwed the pooch by making the bottles look the same.

Ok, so you have to buy the right one for your wheel.

Fyr, have you tried Sonax?

Last edited by important; 07-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Fyr, have you tried Sonax?
Yes, sir. I have used Sonax, Meguiar's Ultimate, Eagle One, 3D BDX, BDP, P&S Brake Buster, Jax Wax, Chemical Guys, and many more. In my opinion, they all work great. It just boils down to what you like and how much you want to spend. The iron-removing "bleeding" cleaners are great, but are generally more expensive than regular cleaners. The Eagle One being the exception. Plus, I don't always need a bleeding type wheel cleaner, as my wheels never get that dusty that often.

My go-to wheel cleaner for my daily is P&S Brake Buster. It doesn't bleed red, but it is a little thicker so it dwells good. It removes brake dust almost as good as the bleeding types, even without using a brush. Plus, it actually adds anti-corrosion protection so your rotors don't get as rusty when you rinse them off. An entire gallon is under $20.

My go-to wheel cleaner for my Z06 is Meguiar's "Hot Rims Aluminum", which is their most gentle wheel cleaner. Super-safe for my brushed and cleared wheels. My Wilwood brakes dust terribly, and while I wish I could use a bleeding wheel cleaner, my zinc rotors and nickel-plated calipers don't like any. They can become permanently stained.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Ok, so you have to buy the right one for your wheel.
This is the one you want. The bottle and the sprayer are both terrible, but for $4.44, it doesn't matter. I bought 2 bottles of this stuff and poured them into my old Kenotek Wheel Cleaner bottle, which has an awesome spray head!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:28 PM
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

FYRARMS, Are you familiar with Meguiars D140 Wheel Britener ????

Says its OK For Clear Coated Wheels

I applied GTechnique G5 coating to my Brushed/Clear Coated SIGNATURE Wheels
and have used Meg's D140 once ...and noticed this last nite

Peeling or Clear Coat Failure ?????

SEE Clear Coat Failure ????
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Yikes. I am familiar with D140. I don't use any acid-based wheel cleaners, though. They are best for neglected, baked-on dusty wheels. All my wheels are kept clean often, so I only need gentle stuff.

What dilution ratio did you use?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:29 PM
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member

Meguairs Wheel Brightener D 140

I honestly dont remember my Dilution Ratio (if ANY??)

Label Says "Safe on Clear Coated, Factory Painted, & Chrome Wheels"

NOT FOR USE ON POLISHED ALUMINUM OR ANODIZED.....

Guess I'll be using Dishsoap Detergent In Th Future

Did You LOOK at My Pictures???

Dammmmmm
Old 07-09-2019, 02:57 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
Meguairs Wheel Brightener D 140

I honestly dont remember my Dilution Ratio (if ANY??)
Whoa. D140 is heavily concentrated acid cleaner. For the DIRTIEST wheels, a 4:1 water-to-D140 ratio is reommended. For most other wheels, guys are using a mild 10:1 water-to-D140 ratio. Assuming you used the D140 straight out of the bottle, it isn't surprising it caused damage.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Guess I'll be using Dishsoap Detergent In Th Future
Honestly, you keep your car as clean as I do. Just use regular safe pH-neutral car wash soap in a separate wheel wash bucket. Grab a set of Wheel Woolies brushes and you are all set.

https://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolies.html
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM
important
CF Senior Member

Yes, sir. I have used Sonax, Meguiar's Ultimate, Eagle One, 3D BDX, BDP, P&S Brake Buster, Jax Wax, Chemical Guys, and many more. In my opinion, they all work great. It just boils down to what you like and how much you want to spend. The iron-removing "bleeding" cleaners are great, but are generally more expensive than regular cleaners. The Eagle One being the exception. Plus, I don't always need a bleeding type wheel cleaner, as my wheels never get that dusty that often.

My go-to wheel cleaner for my daily is P&S Brake Buster. It doesn't bleed red, but it is a little thicker so it dwells good. It removes brake dust almost as good as the bleeding types, even without using a brush. Plus, it actually adds anti-corrosion protection so your rotors don't get as rusty when you rinse them off. An entire gallon is under $20.

My go-to wheel cleaner for my Z06 is Meguiar's "Hot Rims Aluminum", which is their most gentle wheel cleaner. Super-safe for my brushed and cleared wheels. My Wilwood brakes dust terribly, and while I wish I could use a bleeding wheel cleaner, my zinc rotors and nickel-plated calipers don't like any. They can become permanently stained.
I just bought the gallon sized Sonax Full Effect.

I need something with a little more umph as I'm not as diligent as I should be and the brake dust tends to bake on by the time I get to it.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 PM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

The only safe wheel cleaner is a PH natural soap and water. There is NO safe wheel cleaner from a can or bottle, but there are acceptable levels of harshness for wheel cleaners to remove caked on dust and iron. They are not intended to be used frequently and all of them will tell you the amount of time it can remain on the wheel before it can cause damage. You'll also note that the will recommend you test in an inconspicuous spot incase there are adverse affects. Everybody uses them, it's to what degree they are used and how frequently.

I have found Blackfire Wheel & Tire Cleaner (BF-750) to be a good product. https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wheel-cleaner.html

Before we sold my daughters old beater car, we used oven cleaner and it worked great! Would't recommend you use it on anything, but we were in a pinch cleaning it up and the can was just sitting there waiting to be a wheel cleaner instead of Oven cleaner.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member

So maddening that I FXXKED UP even a very small area on my $3500 SIGNATURE Wheels

NO warnings , NO Instructions Come with Wheels , NOTHING

Meguairs label says "Safe on Clear Coated" but I probably didnt have it
deluted enough....Lucky damage isnt worse..I suppose ????

I try to be so careful with EveryThing...Now This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replacement cost on THESE Wheels is only $3500

Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

So maddening that I FXXKED UP even a very small area on my $3500 SIGNATURE Wheels

NO warnings , NO Instructions Come with Wheels , NOTHING

Replacement cost on THESE Wheels is only $3500
I love those wheels.

It's not the end of the world, there are shops that can strip and re-clear that wheel and cost is only about $100. I do understand the frustration though.

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 07-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

I just bought the gallon sized Sonax Full Effect.

I need something with a little more umph as I'm not as diligent as I should be and the brake dust tends to bake on by the time I get to it.
I understand! And the Sonax Full Effect is an amazing product!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:39 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

I understand your frustration! It happens to all of us. We try to take the utmost care of our stuff, but make a silly mistake and have to live with the consequences. I totally have been there!

Just use your gentle car soap and soft cleaning tools from now on. I don't think your sweet car gets dirty enough to ever need a strong wheel cleaner anyway. She is sexy!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:56 PM
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member

Ive used Non Chlorinated Aeresol Brake Clean to remove grease spots and that didnt hurt the CLEAR POWDER Coat

IF I wanted to buy "something" other than SOAP What Brand/Product wont hurt the CLEAR POWDER COAT

Chuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please recommend a heavy brake dust cleaner safe on all wheels.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: