Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

90 ZR-1 polished wheels that have been neglected.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 90 ZR-1 polished wheels that have been neglected.

If this is the wrong place forgive me mod please move to appropriate section.

Hello, I am trying to clean these up and re-polish them. They were pretty nasty when I bought this car as it was neglected, and I neglected them as well when it was my daily beater. Now it's time to attempt to make them presentable as I repainted the car.

Check out the photos.
These things are nasty

I used Carpro Iron X Iron Remover on two of these wheels and they got a bit better. But the back side of rim still has a long way to go and Unused the whole spray bottle of the cleaner. It kept changing color even on the last round. If there is a better cleaner let me know.

I tried baking soda and vinegar mix on the front face with grey Scotch Brite but still has a long way to go.

The back of these wheels are nasty between road grime and brake dust. it appears the recessed areas were never stripped of the factory paint and I'm sure the rear of the rims were not touched.

After cleaning I tried a mother's polishing cone on one of the recessed areas of the wheel and to see what I could do and it's a lot of work come was getting torn up and it took a lot to remove some of the black nastyness.

Im looking for suggestions on products to clean these and what would you do to attack these.
I know I have rust on lug studs and the brakes the car has been sitting for some time they are on the list of things to do.

I know the lighting sucks but these are the pics I have.

Thank you for any help

Last edited by phrogs; 07-23-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:13 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I think I'd send them off to a wheel shop. Although I don't know how they could duplicate the machine finish on them. Someone will chime in soon. That's a huge task you have if you want them to turn out nice.

Quick Reply: 90 ZR-1 polished wheels that have been neglected.