Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start.

Guys, what products do you recommend to strip absolutely every bit of old protectant from a car to get to a 'fresh start' baseline?

This car of mine has had various waxes, polishes, and even a bit of Zaino on it at one time or another.

Now I've got a streaky finish from some weird combination of old protectant and contaminated polishing towels, and I just want to take everything off of the car, dissolve away everything but the paint, and start over.

Any good products that are quick? I will note that DN Alcohol and Dawn don't seem to faze the streaky crud on my car right now. I can push the streaks around with a cloth, change the direction of the 'lay' of the streaks, but nothing wants to take them off.

~Matt
Old 04-06-2003, 09:13 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start. (Matt Black)

Have you tried a quality paint cleaner? Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion would be an example. I'd also wash the car following it's use if you wanted nothing but bare paint.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:22 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

:iagree:

You might also want to throw a claybar treatment in there and use 3M Perfect-It II on any scratches (applied by hand) assuming you find any.

Finish with the car wash before appling your protection system.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:47 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Default Re: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start.

Most definitly a clay bar!

Here's the process I suggest:

Step 1: Wash & Dry
Give your paint an intensive pH Balanced wash (if you still have Zaino's use that as it is pH Balanced, otherwise let me know what one you have and I'll be able to tell you if it is or isn't). This may also be a good time to visit a DIY pressure washing facility. What you could do is take your bucket and car wash solution and a cotton towel there (some frown on this, but if you pick a time when there aren't many people there you should be safe). Use the "Plain Water" setting. If you have a driveway pressure washer that is preferred as your water is probably better quality than the DIY place. I like to, once every 6 months to a year, pressure wash as sometimes it just frees up trapped dirt behind emblems, moldings and seams. Don't hold the nozzle closer than 6-9 inches.

Step 2: Clay
This is an essential part of the process. Here's an inter-forum link to a claying guide I posted awhile back.

Step 3: DeWax
I prefer 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner as there is no doubt of all wax and/or road tar will be gone. It will also ELIMINATE those streaks you're talking about.

Step 4: Inspect
At this time you can mist on some dilluted car wash solution 35:1 to the panels if you have a bit of wax residue.

What waxing system do you plan on using?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start. (DetailingDude)

Okay, thanks, all.

Hmm...where's a good place to get a couple of gallons of the 3M Adhesive Remover?

I am not sure yet about what system I will return to. I've been using Meguiar's products. I tried Zaino, but had a bad experience with it probably due to improper application.

As to scratches...the car is black and ten years old (I've only had it for three years). It is swirled, scratched, and chipped, acid-spotted on the rear deck panels. It needs a paint job, but I'm not ready for that money-wise just yet.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:34 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

I wish I lived near you I'd come there and detail that baby and you'd swear you got new paint.

In the mean time.... you'll only need one of these: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...me_us_gsa_3_0. Apply it with a 100% cotton towel.

And you can buy it here: http://selector.3m.com/aad_wtb/ss.as...2=474&FT_104=0

[Modified by DetailingDude, 10:37 PM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-07-2003, 07:26 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

If you wash your car with Dawn and then clay the car real good you should get any wax products off your car, 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover can be used as well.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

Step 3: DeWax
I prefer 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner as there is no doubt of all wax and/or road tar will be gone. It will also ELIMINATE those streaks you're talking about.
I'm sorry, but IMO using a strong solvent on your entire car to perform something as simple as removing your wax is just Plain Insane! Adhesive remover should only be done on a few areas here and there to remove tar or sap....not to "de-wax" your entire car. I'm with RubyRed on this one..just use a mild paint cleaner/polish like PPCL and you'll be fine. It's a pretty idiot-proof product....extremely easy to use and does a terrific job.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Default Re: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start. (Intermezzo)

3M GPAC is quite idiot proof as well. It will leave nothing behind on the paint and requires pratically no physical excertion when applying to remove wax and road tar.

The absense of pressure is very important when going after Road Tar which often has tiny dirt particles through out the 'node'. Often Road Tar is on the lowest parts of the car so microscopic scratching isn't always as aparent as if it were on the hood.

On Tree Sap I prefer using Margarine as Tree Sap is a microscopic resin which, as the Margarine softens it, it also adds some lubrication to the surface softening the impact of the resin on the paint.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

In response to the "Paint Cleaner" suggestion, I have used a good paint cleaner, the Meguiars product. It doesn't work. You have no idea about these streaks. Whatever this film is, if I could figure out a way to make it optically clear, it would deal Zaino a death-blow.

It has resisted Dawn, Palmolive, Z7, Z6, Meguiar's Paint Scrub, Meguiars Quik Detailer , Mother's car wash, denatured alcohol, and "Goo Gone". And no, trying all those products produced no strange reactions or further damage to the paint. It just didn't remove this mutant film from the surface of the car.

It may be the mutant offspring of Zaino and the local industrial fallout.

Next up - I 've rinsed all of my washing towels with a strong solution of white vinegar, and I'm going to work on it with clay and the 3M product.

[Modified by Matt Black, 5:47 PM 4/7/2003]
Old 04-08-2003, 04:56 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

are you able to post a pic of it?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Yep. I just need a bright sunny day, and I'll get a shot and put it up.

May be a couple of days. Forecast is grim.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:15 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

Question for detailing dude after i clay bar the car and then use the 3m adhesive remover to get down to bare paint can i use 3m swirl remover to get rid of any other swirl marks? also if so what would be my next step? I use zaino..... Thanx.... :thumbs:
Old 04-10-2003, 08:35 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can go to a local auto paint distributor and get a gallon of Prep Sol. It's a degreaser that is used prior to sanding or painting. It will remove any old wax or grease on the car. Use two towels. Apply with one and take off with the other. If you just use one towel you will just be moving the wax and grease around. After you've wiped the entire car down wash the car with dawn and you'll be down to the bare paint. You should then go over the car with 3M Swirl and haze remover using an orbital buffer. This will get rid of any swirls in the paint. Once you completed the swirl and haze remover wash the car again with dawn and then apply your wax or Zaino. This will give you the best finish you can get.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:42 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start. (vettfixr)

Thanks alot I will give it a try.......... :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start.

Quick Reply: Cleaning down to the paint for a fresh start.