Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap

I have used my Mr. Clean Auto Dry several times now on my navy C5. I'm happy with the results.
Has anyone used any soap in the system other than the Mr. Clean brand? If so, how did it work? I don't believe there's anything special in the soap, but I could be wrong. I assume what keeps the car from spotting when it dries is the rinse filter in the bottom of the unit.
Thanks! :chevy
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (kv397)

Haven't used this product yet, but it is something I want to try. Does the package say anything about using a different soap? Try calling the company -usually they have an 800 number for comments/questions.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:11 PM
88sk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (JDs00PewterCoupe)

I was at wal-mart& they have a in-line hose filter(plug&play) for rv's& campers it goes for $18 & it should take out the minerals that cause water spots
Old 03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
white shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (JDs00PewterCoupe)

i dont know but all i have heard about it is that its amazing :yesnod:
Old 03-08-2004, 09:13 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

I want to use this myself when its warmer.. not sure about other soaps either...
Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (Traceys2vettes)

I want to use this myself when its warmer.. not sure about other soaps either...
Bought the whole kit .....tried it on my black vert. yesterday......It really does work! The box very clearly says DO NOT use other soaps .....doing invalidates the warranty AND, having used many, many, car wash soaps this one really is different.....the car was amazingly clean....actually, maybe too clean. The jury is still out on whether it strips the wax. Several things to keep in mind: 1. do it in the shade 2. work fast......you WILL see spots whereever you let the soap solution or the plain rinse dry on the car 3. have a clear understanding of how to use the thing so that you are not fumbling around in the middle of the wash process. ( I learned some of these the hard way ) Bottom line.......it's a well thought out product that really works if you follow the directions carefully! :hurray:
Old 03-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Overtorque
Intermediate

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (blittle)

:iagree:
Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I have this system and I think it is an ok product. I did notice that if you follow the directions you will end up using ALOT of soap. When I bought the refill soap, I decided to use it in a bucket. One bucket for soap, another bucket for rinsing the wash towel. This method seamed to make more, richer, thicker suds, AND I used less soap. Then I simply use the Mr.Clean thing for the filtered water rinse.

This method is effective, but don't let the used water sit too long. Mr. Clean says there is a polymer in his soap, and yes there is. If you let the bucket sit over night, the polymer will bond with the dirt and make a sticky scum that is HELL to get out of the bucket.

So, in my opinion, if you can find a good inline filter as mentioned earlier in this post, then all you need is to buy the soap and a couple buckets to get a good spot free wash without wasting too much soap.

Dale
Old 03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
0rion
Racer

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (mitchydkid)

I'll stick with my Zaino. :)
Old 03-09-2004, 01:04 AM
MSD44
Pro

A friend called me this past weekend to tell me about a free demo that was going on with the product. I am a skeptic about these fad car wash systems. So, before I blew the $18.00 (Without a coupon) I took my beater, a 1999 Explorer, deep burgundy in color, over to let them do their worst. I have to admit, I was impressed with the results. My truck was also a mess before they got it after the on slot of rain that hit So. Cali. Their was not a spot on my car. That impressed me. Though the guy running it told me that using a California Car Blade DOES make a difference. It helps with the drying time; also, if you don't get the whole car with the spot free rinse, this will help with keeping spots off. So I bought it, and took it home, and gave it a shot on my 01. All I can say was wow. It did use a lot of the soap... so I may just try the multiple buck idea. All in all... I am impressed. Thought I will not let it dry all by it's self on my 01, Will still shamy it, it is sure nice not having to rush threw drying before spotting occurs.
:thumbs:
Old 03-09-2004, 06:09 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I have one and it really does work for eliminating water spots.

I only use the spot free rinse on the Mr. Clean. I wash it just like I always have but now only use the Mr. Clean to rinse with. Works great!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 AM
jcmuley
Intermediate

I used it on my 04 comm. vert and my wife's 04 Jeep Overland, black in color. I have used the soap that comes with the kit, and Meguiar's Gold Class soap and the results are noteworthy. No There are spots, but they are small and diffuse. My only complaint is the reduction in flow rate caused by the filters used for de-mineralization. This RV inline device interests me. What is it called? Thanks all. John.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (jcmuley)

here is a dumb question (haven't seen it asked before)... do you just spray on-then off the soap; or do you actually wipe the soapy solution around with a washing rag?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:06 AM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

:cool: Something to try :cheers:
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (Mike Mercury)

:skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (Mike Mercury)

here is a dumb question (haven't seen it asked before)... do you just spray on-then off the soap; or do you actually wipe the soapy solution around with a washing rag?
You should use a wipe with the soapy solution. It's not scrubbing bubbles. :D

I used it on my Camaro last week. Not bad, and it does make washing go faster. The unit is pretty flimsy, though, and the cap for the soap is nigh useless.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (88sk)

I am also interested in the inline filter. Sounds like I could use this with Zainos wash and be very happy. My quick dry without spots is really a yard blower :). Still interested to know about the wax/polish/zainos stripping by this product. Guess I will pick one up today if I can't find this RV inline filter.

JimK

Get notified of new replies

To Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap

Old 03-28-2004, 11:54 AM
omrossi
Racer

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (Corpsvette)

I bought and love the Mr. Clean unit. At the very last minute, however, I decided NOT to use the Mr. Clean soap. I use Zaino Z7 instead, and it works great. On all of the demonstrations of the Mr. Clean soap, the water "sheets" off. To me, this seems counter to the goal of a well-Zainoed car, which is beading water. Seems to me like this stuff would probably remove, or diminish my Zaino.

So, I simply use Z7 in the Mr. Clean sprayer. It eliminates the need for a bucket, and I use way less soap than before. Then, I use the Mr. Clean to rinse the car with filtered water. The water doesn't "sheet" off, but I will accept that trade-off.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap (Corpsvette)

I am also interested in the inline filter. Sounds like I could use this with Zainos wash and be very happy. My quick dry without spots is really a yard blower :). Still interested to know about the wax/polish/zainos stripping by this product. Guess I will pick one up today if I can't find this RV inline filter.

JimK
Well, the answer to whether the soap supplied in the kit strips away your wax, the answer is a difinative YES. I can't speak for Zaino (don't use it) but the Mr. Clean soap certainly did a number on my coats of Pinnacle and Zymol. Well, it gave me a chance to use the NXT Tech Wax, so alll was not lost. :) Tech Wax = :thumbs: .

As for the advice given about using Mr. Clean out of direct sunlight, I would take it, since if you don't you will end up w/ spotting. I did.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Jammer
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I've been wanting to try this myself :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Auto Dry soap