Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:55 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Zaino Review

Ok, so I have spent about 5 hours using zaino so far. I hate to be a putz to the faithful in zaino, but I got to tell you. I am as un-impressed with Zaino as anything else that I have tried and been dissappointed in. To make a long story short, I will be going back over the car tomorrow with good old fashion Turtle Wax. No offense to the company or those who are loyal, but the wow factor just isn't there. The clay bar was cool, but really, I don't feel like it did squat. There were a few water marks on the car that I felt have been there due to the previous owner getting lazy and after using the clay bar and the number 5.......they're still there! The number 5 didn't phase them and nor did the clay bar! They are not what I would consider major either. Turtle wax hides them better than Zaino addressed them! Same with the minor swirl marks that I caused last week by using too course a terry cloth towel. No I am not kidding! At first I thought that maybe I had too much soap in the spray bottle when using the clay and that I was gliding over the areas too much but then after I rinsed the car, I realized that these spots were still there so I used just the standing water as a lubricant and that made no difference. I used everything per the instructions and I just am not impressed. Turtle Wax looks better. Ya, it shines ok but Turtle Wax shines as nice or better and it hides imperfections definately better......and with a heck of a lot less work. Here is a picture just after the Dawn wash:

Here is one after the clay, the number 5, the gloss enhancer:

Notice the lack of difference?

Here is a pic of one of the 'water spots' that were not affected by the clay bar in either situation mentioned above (you can see it to the left of the lower light reflection:

Am I doing something wrong here or is Zaino just an overpriced "wow" factor product? Again, no disrespect intended but sorry guys, I am not impressed with $100 worth of cleaning stuff that I get the same effect out of with a cheap can of Turtle Wax. All suggestions welcome and appreciated. If something for the better of Zaino surfaces, I will surely post that info. Otherwise, I will be posting how well their guarantee holds up!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:02 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Am I doing something wrong here or is Zaino just an overpriced "wow" factor product?

One of the, if not the most important step prior to using any product, especially Zaino, is prep. Claying is a big part of that, but claying will not remove, repair, hide, etc. surface imperfections. Some people say to try clay on water spots, but I've never seen clay "remove" a water spot. Claying removes imbedded particles/grit leaving you a smooth as glass surface ready for the next step.

In your case, that appears to be a mild polish of some sort to remove the water spots and mild swirl marks. Z5 is not a miracle worker, and while it certainly will make light towel scratching less visible after 3-6 coats, it won't hide water spots or all swirl marks.

Best results however, are still had by removing imperfections prior to using Zaino. Once you have the finish flawless or as close as possible, Zaino provides that "wow" factor you are looking for. (anything will look good after all this prep, but certain products like Zaino and Pinnacle Souveran will make the car look a few notches better than Turtle Wax, etc.).

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ds01c5//ZandS.jpg

Last edited by DsC5; 08-15-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:07 PM
GRT1TODAY
Intermediate

Listen to DsC5, the first time I used zaino too, I was also unimpressed. But I soon learned that I was doing some things wrong. After I rechecked a few things, it was a go... I had heads turning everywhere. To be honest, I think I either preferred the souveran look or I was just so use to it, but I can't argue with people in oncoming traffic turning their heads around to see me pass by. Get your paint as close to perfect before you put on the zaino. I actually had the best results when I used AIO, then Z7, then my first coat etc...
Old 08-14-2004, 02:11 PM
GRT1TODAY
Intermediate

P.S. I've always had the best results using a QD with a claybar. It's more stickier, and you don't have to worry about soapy water spots drying on the car...
Old 08-15-2004, 12:35 AM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with you about zanio. Also I don't get people who put pics of their car after a wax and think it's soooooo shinny. I mean it's a black car and yes in that picture it looks awesome! but it woulda looked the same without the zanio....my mom has a 99 bmw 528i which is black has 62k miles on it and hardly ever gets waxed yet it looks just as shinny as the car in the picture..

I took some pictures once after I took the wax off my car with dawn and I happened to post that picture on here and I had tons of people saying wow what a shine did you use zanio!!??!?!

I jsut get a laugh over that.....a black car thats clean is always going to reflect like all get out! so I don't get why zanio and other products get the glory for making the reflections..

so what I'm saying is I agree with you that zanio is overated. I think people think it works wonders because it cost a lot and they think they're treating their corvette good because it cost a lot and is suppsosed to be the best..

I use that new nxt stuff it's good but my gah it doesn't make a whole lot of difference after I wax it like people play up it does.

Last edited by wildman378; 08-15-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:26 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by wildman378
I agree with you about zanio. Also I don't get people who put pics of their car after a wax and think it's soooooo shinny. I mean it's a black car and yes in that picture it looks awesome! but it woulda looked the same without the zanio....my mom has a 99 bmw 528i which is black has 62k miles on it and hardly ever gets waxed yet it looks just as shinny as the car in the picture..

I took some pictures once after I took the wax off my car with dawn and I happened to post that picture on here and I had tons of people saying wow what a shine did you use zanio!!??!?!

I jsut get a laugh over that.....a black car thats clean is always going to reflect like all get out! so I don't get why zanio and other products get the glory for making the reflections..

so what I'm saying is I agree with you that zanio is overated. I think people think it works wonders because it cost a lot and they think they're treating their corvette good because it cost a lot and is suppsosed to be the best..

I use that new nxt stuff it's good but my gah it doesn't make a whole lot of difference after I wax it like people play up it does.
Yep, oddly enough I think my car is shiny. Imagine that.

Might also be worth reading this part of my post again:

"Best results however, are still had by removing imperfections prior to using Zaino. Once you have the finish flawless or as close as possible, Zaino provides that "wow" factor you are looking for. (anything will look good after all this prep, but certain products like Zaino and Pinnacle Souveran will make the car look a few notches better than Turtle Wax, etc.)."

Old 08-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

DSC5 is right on the money here. (And Zaino is NOT my favorite product either) BUT ... you need to properly prep your paint prior to Zaino, Turtle Wax, or any other item.

1. Washing --- Removes surface dust as dirt
2. Claying -- Removes imbedded dirt from finish
3. Polish -- Removing imperfections and bringing back paint
4. Waxing/Sealing -- Protecting the work that you accomplished

These are the basics and many other steps can be added in between. Zaino has NO cleaners and #5 has only basic "fillers" which hide light scratching. Zaino offers durability thats it benefit .... and good reflectivity. But as you said ... Black cars already reflect very well. Nature of the color.

What is Zaino missing .... IMO some pop !! It doesnt have any of the oils that a carnuba has and alot of people enjoy the rich look , that depth , almost like a pool of water in the way it appears 3 Dimensional. If you are a fan of that look, then onto other products such as Pinnacle, P21S or your Turtle Wax.

Now one other thing to think about with your previous favorite, Turtle Wax, is that most of their products are All-In-One. Thats means it has cleaning ability, fillers, and protectant all in one bottle. This DOESNT mean that it does all those things BEST but it can appear to look better if you miss these steps while using a product that "specializes" in only one of these areas like Zaino, Pinnacle , and even Wolfgang Concours.
The following users liked this post:
JoshVette (08-25-2016)
Old 08-15-2004, 10:40 AM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

" Yep, oddly enough I think my car is shiny. Imagine that. "

It sure is...looks great! I wasn't saying it wasn't shinny but I mean it woulda looked 98% like that if you had washed it with dawn and took that picture over...see what I'm getting at, a black car is always going to reflect like nobodys business but a lot of people see these pictures and run out and get zanio but they're not thinking that a black car would reflect like that without zanio if the paint isn't old or something. I bet I could take a picture of my mom's black car now and post it and have tons of people wondering what wax I use ! and it hasn't been waxed in about 8 months....
Old 08-15-2004, 05:47 PM
SANMAN1
Racer

I've had many black cars. Some with very good paint 2003 BMW 325i, 2001 Corvette triple black and some with so so paint. Over 3 decades of detailing cars, I can tell you that Prep is indeed #1 and that Zaino is superior on any color. I used Pinnacle, Klasse, and P21 S on previous cars with very good results, yet they did not have that "WOW" factor that Zaino can produce.

Intrestingly, in conversation with a collegue a couple of weeks ago, I found out that he created Show Cars of different vintages for many years. In fact, he won many National Championships. I asked him what polish/wax he used- he replied Zaino Brothers.

I told him that I use Zaino on my new Torch Red Z and he replied- you can't go wrong.

Just two mens opinions,
Old 08-15-2004, 06:48 PM
CLpower
Burning Brakes

I just brought zaino out of the arsenal for the first time in about a year and a half. Did the full clay and dawn and then applied 2 coats of Z2 and a coat of Z5. None the less, I'm not as impressed as I use to be w/ this product. I did it on my girlfriends silver accord. NXT really made the flake pop out and the zaino didn't do this at all. The slickness is about as equal to NXT. The reflection is great however. I just finished a 7 week wrap up w/ NXT on the car and it was still slick and beading great. I'll give Zaino 7 weeks also and then give rejex a shot after that.

Zaino is a good product, just don't think i'll be using it again.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:18 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Funny I have been using Zaino for a about 3 years and love it ,I tried NXT about 3 months ago on my truck and didnt think it shined like Zaino.Tried it again tonight and still feel the same .Thanks but it s Zaino for me from now on.I have tried the others and Zaino works best for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:31 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo1
Thanks but it s Zaino for me from now on.I have tried the others and Zaino works best for me.
Out of curiousity, what others have you tried?

Poorboys, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, UPP, Klasse, ClearKote, P21s/S100?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:11 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the past 5+ years I've been on the board there has been many flavors of the month.
Flavors of the month come and go.
Yet Zaino is still here.
Still coming out #1 in tests.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Ok, so I have spent about 5 hours using zaino so far. I hate to be a putz to the faithful in zaino, but I got to tell you. I am as un-impressed with Zaino as anything else that I have tried and been dissappointed in. To make a long story short, I will be going back over the car tomorrow with good old fashion Turtle Wax. No offense to the company or those who are loyal, but the wow factor just isn't there. The clay bar was cool, but really, I don't feel like it did squat. There were a few water marks on the car that I felt have been there due to the previous owner getting lazy and after using the clay bar and the number 5.......they're still there! The number 5 didn't phase them and nor did the clay bar! They are not what I would consider major either. Turtle wax hides them better than Zaino addressed them! Same with the minor swirl marks that I caused last week by using too course a terry cloth towel. No I am not kidding! At first I thought that maybe I had too much soap in the spray bottle when using the clay and that I was gliding over the areas too much but then after I rinsed the car, I realized that these spots were still there so I used just the standing water as a lubricant and that made no difference. I used everything per the instructions and I just am not impressed. Turtle Wax looks better. Ya, it shines ok but Turtle Wax shines as nice or better and it hides imperfections definately better......and with a heck of a lot less work. Here is a picture just after the Dawn wash:

Here is a pic of one of the 'water spots' that were not affected by the clay bar in either situation mentioned above (you can see it to the left of the lower light reflection:

Am I doing something wrong here or is Zaino just an overpriced "wow" factor product? Again, no disrespect intended but sorry guys, I am not impressed with $100 worth of cleaning stuff that I get the same effect out of with a cheap can of Turtle Wax. All suggestions welcome and appreciated. If something for the better of Zaino surfaces, I will surely post that info. Otherwise, I will be posting how well their guarantee holds up!

Did you contact Sal at Zaino or your distributor? For acid rain clay or Z-5 will not fix the problem, you need to use an abrasive product like a 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover to repair the damage. As said above the prep is the key to a great finish, wax products just keep it looking great for a period of time. How much Z-5 did you apply to your car? Did you use Z-1 or ZFX? You should get at least 2 applications per 1 oz on a Vette, many people get 3-4 applications per 1 oz on a Vette. Feel free to e-mail me directly.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

1.) You definitely need more lights in your garage if you are serious about detailing. I have atleast 12 fixtures with 2 4' bulbs as well as halogen spots and incadescent bulb fixtures.

2.) It will only look as good as the prep. You need to go over that black vette with a pc and 3m ssr first THEN do the Zaino treatment. For black there is NOTHING that compares to Zaino and NOTHING last half as long.

If your water spots are etched into the paint you may need to wet sand with 2000 or 3000 grit wet sand paper or go over it with the pc for a few hours.
The following users liked this post:
JoshVette (08-25-2016)
Old 08-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

I love answering these now. All the shines look about the same. That's right folks. It is all about prep and I don't find one wax/polish more shiney that the other. I am no pro though. For me, it is the durability I care about. That is why I only use Z5 (Z2 does provide a more 3D appearance). Layers and layers of beading protection. Nothing lasts longer, nothing. NXT was great on the wife's mini van but did not out last the Zainos on my Avalanche applied the same day and exposed to the same elements. Zainos lasted several weeks (okay, many weeks) longer.

Jim Kay
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Results

Okay I just got my Zaino last week and started the process on Thursday night. My background is I am a retired USAF Thunderbird so I believe my detail skills to be that of a Master Detailer, but that's irrelevant. I followed the instructions to the letter. I started with the clay bar (and actually clay barred my car 3 times until it felt like glass) Then I washed it with Zainos car wash. Next I used the Z5 scratch and swirl remover, and I will say after the first coat I was disappointed. I sprayed with Z6 and applied another coat of Z5, then Z6, then a third coat of Z5 and lastly a Z6 again. The instructions say no more then 3 coats in a 24 hour period. I will say my car which is a 2002, C5, with 40,000 miles on it that has always been garaged has improved 10 fold between each step of Zaino. Like I said I am waiting now and plan to begin with Z2 tomorrow to finish, but in my opinion (and that's all it is) you need multiple coats and depending on how bad your car is you need some patience and to follow the instructions to include using 100% cotton towels (not micro fiber crap from your auto parts store) and I believe you will get results like no other car products when all is said and done. I am sold on Zaino and will begin using it on my Harley's and my other vehicles from now on.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Review

Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Cliff's - Own a High End Detail Shop in Silicon Valley that uses Zaino exclusively - Read that as High Tech CEO's VP's, Venture Capitalist's that are worth 7+ figures you read about in the news. My customer list would make most detailers have to change their pants. They are discriminating and ruthlessly demanding. We use Zaino exclusively with outstanding results. Prep, Prep, Prep, is the ticket

Excellent advice in this post. Prep, Prep, Prep, and more Prep.
Zaino is not going to correct paint defects as has been stated. Water spots need to be taken care of prior to Zaino. In fact with Zaino's shine it will make them even more profound.

I own a high end detail shop in Silicon Valley and we use Zaino exclusively.
I get free samples of products all the time, why... they want me to use and endorse their products.
When you do McClarens, a Maserati, an Aston DB9, and 2 Model S's in a day, companies want us to use their products.
Zaino still beats anything, we have used.
While many claim Zaino is too complicated we have found it to be one the easiest products to deal with and the absolute best results and durability.
We put a 6-12 month warranty on our detail, ask other pro detailers if they do that.
So far in 5 years of being in business, and thousands of cars, we have redone 5 cars under warranty. 3 of of those were at our request since they came in for a hand wash and were not happy with the look. The other 2, ehhhh no doubt a user(us) screwup.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 07-13-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water spots suggestion

I suggest you try to wash your car again with Z7 car wash and then go over your water spots with Distilled White vinegar and a soft towel. Depending on how bad your water spots are, that usually helps. (And it wont hurt your paint or clear coat) just a suggestion.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I've used ZAINO since 1999 when I was introduced to it here on the CF. But as I have gotten older I find I don't have the time and energy to obsess over my cars like I used to so I tried a new routine and am very happy with the results.

1. Clay using the new NANO Clay sponge in a solution of Dawn Detergent (combines two steps into one and is very easy compared to traditional clay bars)

2. I apply ZAINO Z2-Pro straight out of the bottle. I still adhere to the ZAINO rule of Less is More and apply a VERY thin coat. Basically 1/2 ounce covers the entire car to include all painted surfaces and wheels.

3. Still have and use the 100% cotton Made In the USA towel I bought back in 1999 and only washed in liquid detergent.

4. Finish process with a wipe down with ZAINO Z6 Detail Spray and NEW heavy weight microfiber towels.

That's it. I do this twice a year on all my cars which are DD's in all weather to include winter, which usually requires several commercial car washes.

Here's my latest detail I did on the wife's 2012 CRM Volt.

And this was about 6 month old ZAINO on my 07 AO Z06

I used this photo in my CF For Sale ad.

But as many claim "A shine is just a shine" but ZAINO does last a LONG LONG time and costs about $4 per application and I don't spend all day killing myself.

It works.

Last edited by AFVETTE; 07-18-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Zaino Review