Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino mutiple STEPS MYTH

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Default Zaino mutiple STEPS MYTH

The FACTS about all these Zaino steps that you all talk about. Compare apples to apples..

Zaino...mix ZFX with Z-2, apply, let dry, remove, YOUR DONE.

NXT....apply, let dry, remove

You don't need to mix ZFX again for six months. If a week later, a month later, a day later you want to put on another coat of Z-2, Z-5, or Z-2 PRO go ahead, you don't need to mix ZFX. You will have to mix ZFX to apply multiple coats in a one 24 hour period. ZFX gives the Z-2 instant cure time to allow you to do this. Another 30 seconds out of your life.

So the truth is that there is only ONE extra step every SIX MONTHS with Zaino and that step will tie you up for about 30 SECONDS of your life.

If you want to take the extra time and effort to enhance your paint even more then you can use the additional Zaino products. But Zaino is not unique in these products. Meguiars, mothers, etc., all have them.

Zaino..Z-5 Swirl Mark Filler
Meguiars..ScratchX

Zaino..Z-6 Gloss enhancer
Meguiars..Quik Detailer

Zaino....Z-18 Clay Bar
Meguiars...CLay Bar

The other statement I hear all the time...Zaino has so many products I don't know which to use. Has anyone ever counted the number of products Meguiars has. If not let me do you a favor and suggest you get a calculator to help you out when you decide to count them.

Bottom line is that the only extra step is mixing ZFX the first time and then every six months after that. And for that 30 seconds of you life you get a superior shine that outlasts anything on the market.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

I have not uses ZXF in awhile. I get the same results whether I use it or not, a great optical clear finish.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Kevin V
Pro

I remember when people thought that surface prep and claying was only a Zaino thing. I'd hate to think that anyone would still think that surface prep isn't necessary when using other products to get the best results. I never did understand it when people mention "all the steps".
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
rtpilot
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can do my car with Zaino in 20 minutes. Same steps as any product i have used.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:42 PM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

Too bad you can't buy Zaino at the local Auto Store like you can Megueirs.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by JChrisF
Too bad you can't buy Zaino at the local Auto Store like you can Megueirs.
To bad you can't buy a Rolex at Sears like you can a Timex.

Is it that big of a deal to pick up the phone or order off the web to get a Superior long lasting product. It's more trouble to go to the auto store. One order should easily last you a year or more. One bottle of Z-2 should give you at least 20 coats on a Vette if not more. It is shipped the same day you order it and arrives usually in three days anywhere in the country.

Last edited by Crusher; 12-22-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:21 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all of the above except for Z5=ScratchX.

ScratchX actually has abrasives in it and will remove light defects. Z5 will not. It slightly fills defects.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I agree with all of the above except for Z5=ScratchX.

ScratchX actually has abrasives in it and will remove light defects. Z5 will not. It slightly fills defects.
I agree. If you read my post you will see that I noted Z-5 as a FILLER. My point was that they are both products to achieve the same result. Zaino does it by filling the swirls whereas ScratchX does it by abraiding the paint. Thus Z-5 is not an extra step that needs to be taken unless you have these problems and want to correct them. You would also need to correct them if you were using a polish other then Zaino. If it's an extra step for Zaino then it is also an extra step using any other product.

Taken from Meguiars website...ScratchX..Guaranteed to be the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand.

Taken from Zaino website...Z-5..Can be used to fill and hide minor surface scratches, light swirl marks and spider webbing!

Last edited by Crusher; 12-22-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default You forgot

Originally Posted by Crusher
The FACTS about all these Zaino steps that you all talk about. Compare apples to apples..

Zaino...mix ZFX with Z-2, apply, let dry, remove, YOUR DONE.

NXT....apply, let dry, remove

You don't need to mix ZFX again for six months. If a week later, a month later, a day later you want to put on another coat of Z-2, Z-5, or Z-2 PRO go ahead, you don't need to mix ZFX. You will have to mix ZFX to apply multiple coats in a one 24 hour period. ZFX gives the Z-2 instant cure time to allow you to do this. Another 30 seconds out of your life.

So the truth is that there is only ONE extra step every SIX MONTHS with Zaino and that step will tie you up for about 30 SECONDS of your life.

If you want to take the extra time and effort to enhance your paint even more then you can use the additional Zaino products. But Zaino is not unique in these products. Meguiars, mothers, etc., all have them.

Zaino..Z-5 Swirl Mark Filler
Meguiars..ScratchX

Zaino..Z-6 Gloss enhancer
Meguiars..Quik Detailer

Zaino....Z-18 Clay Bar
Meguiars...CLay Bar

The other statement I hear all the time...Zaino has so many products I don't know which to use. Has anyone ever counted the number of products Meguiars has. If not let me do you a favor and suggest you get a calculator to help you out when you decide to count them.

Bottom line is that the only extra step is mixing ZFX the first time and then every six months after that. And for that 30 seconds of you life you get a superior shine that outlasts anything on the market.

After every coat of whether it is Z-2, Z-2 Pro or Z-5 you are suppose to use the detail spray Z-6 after every coat but that is probably highly recommended and not mandatory and on the bottle of the Z-2 , Z-5 is says 30 minutes to wait (Is this with or without ZFX?)
I know I have heard without the ZFX you have to wait 24 hours up to 3 coats. So there isn't a need later on after the initial coats to use the ZFX. I believe the Z-5 is also just highly recommended.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

What extra steps? I wipe it on then wipe it off. I can do my vette in 20 minutes as well. Now with the new Z2 Pro there is NO wait time at all, even if you are just doing one panel.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Is your procedure endorsed by Sally Zaino?. The last time I checked their web site it has a totally different routine. The bottom line is- I've had many show winning cars over the last 30 years and I've tried EVERY product on the market (including every one of Zaino products). There are much easier/cheaper/locally available products that are superior to Zaino. Like it or not, that is the truth.

Last edited by JWD01; 12-23-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:04 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JWD01
Is your procedure endorsed by Sally Zaino?. The last time I checked their web site it has a totally different routine. The bottom line is- I've had many show winning cars over the last 30 years and I've tried EVERY product on the market (including every one of Zaino products). There are much easier/cheaper/locally available products that are superior to Zaino. Like it or not, that is the truth.
I think you've confused truth with opinion.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

There are much easier/cheaper/locally available products that are superior to Zaino. Like it or not, that is the truth.
Use what you like, that's what makes the world go around. I would bet though that your "easier/cheaper/locally available products" all sell multible products to achieve different goals.

The purpose of my post was not to tell everyone they should use Zaino. It was to clear up the myth that you have to do "All the steps". And YES it is endorsed by Sal Zaino. If it wasn't I'm sure he or any number of the Zaino distributors and loyalist would have jumped all over my post.

Also, it is obvious to me from many of your post that you are anti Zaino and Pro NXT. So why even worry about my post or others. Just use NXT and be happy.

I almost never post on the detailing forum but I read it often. I do find something interesting. It seems that almost every new product that comes along, including NXT, is always compared to Zaino. It would appear that Zaino is the bench mark for others to achieve. There are hundreds of products on the market yet they don't seem to be targeted for comparison as is Zaino. To me that speaks loud and clear about Zainos products. Again, I'm not telling anyone they should use Zaino. You should use what works for you.

Last edited by Crusher; 12-24-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have yet to find a product that wipes on and off easier than Zaino, and now with Z2 Pro there is no wait for drying. I occasionally follow up with a Z6 spritz but that is optional. IMHO it cannot get any easier unless Sal comes up with a way for the polish to remove itself. As far as products that can be obtained locally, I have yet to find one that even comes close to Zaino.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:13 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default How about

Originally Posted by agentf1
I have yet to find a product that wipes on and off easier than Zaino, and now with Z2 Pro there is no wait for drying. I occasionally follow up with a Z6 spritz but that is optional. IMHO it cannot get any easier unless Sal comes up with a way for the polish to remove itself. As far as products that can be obtained locally, I have yet to find one that even comes close to Zaino.
Klasse All In One with the Sealant applied? The car feels very smooth and slippery than the Zaino but the Klasse AIO and sealant are both on a metal car. The Zaino is on the Corvette (fiberglass).. .
Old 12-25-2004, 08:33 AM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

To bad you can't buy a Rolex at Sears like you can a Timex.
But that is my point. The Timex does just as good a job at telling time as the Rolex, it's less expensive and easier to find
Old 12-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by JChrisF
But that is my point. The Timex does just as good a job at telling time as the Rolex, it's less expensive and easier to find
Then a Timex is what you should buy if that is what you like. And don't forget, there are just as many steps to read time from that Timex as there are in reading time from a Rolex. Maybe you should consider a Sun Dial, they also tell time and you can make one yourself.

Chevrolet also makes the Cavalier. The Cavalier does just a good a job at getting you from point A to point B just like a Vette, it's less expensive and easier to find.

I'm not here to debate which polish is better, which is easier to find or whose is the cheapest. The purpose of my post was and still is to dispell the myth that you have to do "Multiple Steps" to achive a fantastic shine and lasting durability when useing Zaino. If you would like to debate the other, why not start your own post?

Last edited by Crusher; 12-25-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino mutiple STEPS MYTH

Old 12-25-2004, 10:27 AM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

Chevrolet also makes the Cavalier. The Cavalier does just a good a job at getting you from point A to point B just like a Vette, it's less expensive and easier to find.
I think I'd get the new Cobalt over the Cavalier I like the new comercials GM is doing with the Corvette

I'm not trying to debate either. NXT is the best wax I've used... I'm sure someday I'll try the Zaino just to compare. Thanks for the info... you've shed light on the fact that it is not as complicated to use as I've heard it was. I hate waxing as it is a lot of work regardless but I like the results and all waxes take effort to use. It's the results that matter and I'll try to Zaino to see how I like it some day.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be sure yall keep this civil

thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Everyone has their favorites, for what purpose they want it to serve. Personally I want not only a great shine, but great durability and protection and ease of use. Zaino to me, is the only product that does it all as well as it does. But not everyone has the same needs. A garage queen that only sees daylight for carshows doesn't need protection or durability or even ease of use. Pledge will even give a great shine and its cheap too. Use what YOU like best for what you want.

The best thing is to try out different products to see what serves your purpose and need. For me, after trying dozens of products, it is Zaino.

Quick Reply: Zaino mutiple STEPS MYTH