Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Swirl Mark Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Swirl Mark Question

A couple months ago I clayed my car, used 3M swirl remover (applied by hand) ,NXT, and some wax. It came out great but in the sunlight I could still see some swirl marks.

I tried the 3M swirl romver again, this time using a PC, and followed up with NXT. The swirl marks are better but still there. I am reluctant to use a much more abrasive polish.

Would continued use of the 3M product keep giving improved results? Would the Meguiars Swirl Remover work better? Is there anything I'm missing in the process? As I said the car and paint look really good and I don't want to use an aggresive product or cutting type pad, but would like to get rid of more of the swirl marks. Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 12:57 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive machine polish / foam pad combination. Have you tried using the SMR with a damp applicator?

The abrading ability of any polish can be changed by their application method (i.e. machine or hand application, speed and / or pressure used, using it wet or dry and / or type of foam composition (different foam compositions and / or densities have a differing abrading ability)

JonM
Old 01-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
It is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive machine polish / foam pad combination. Have you tried using the SMR with a damp applicator?

The abrading ability of any polish can be changed by their application method (i.e. machine or hand application, speed and / or pressure used, using it wet or dry and / or type of foam composition (different foam compositions and / or densities have a differing abrading ability)

JonM
Thanks Jon, I used a Lake County white pad. I did give the pad a spray of detail spay before I started, but only at the very start. Maybe I'll try again using a little water with the SMR.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:29 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about spider like scratches, you will never get rid of every and all fine scratches, but Zaino's will definitly elimanate any and all swirl marks....no question about it.

I used 3M SMR, washed, clayed, washed, dried, apply two coats of Z5, followed up by sprying Z6...the next day, I applied Z2, on coat and the finish,,,,well, I cannot find the words to express the clearity, optical crisp, clear mirror reflection. You cannot see the very fine scratches or anything like that, unless you reallly really looking for them...

If you choose not to use Zaino's, it sounds like you might be putting it on too thick........NXT...that is your first mistake.....

Last edited by C5corvetteman; 01-21-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Jake T
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had swirl marks on my street rod. I used meguiers #7 swirl remover using an electric r/o sander with a 6" foam pad. All the swirls came out..if you walked along the car with it parked in the sun you couldn't see anything but a bright point of light. I topped it off with a coat of wax. The car looks great even now. I went ahead and did the same thing to my vette. Dark red. came out flawless.

Get notified of new replies

To Swirl Mark Question

Quick Reply: Swirl Mark Question