Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

A great American Supercar Challenge Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A great American Supercar Challenge Race

American Super car Challenge Race on Saturday October 1, 2005
National Trail Raceway in Hebron Ohio

The American Supercar Challenge race at National Trail Raceway in Ohio provided some of the best record setting Corvette racing performances that have ever been achieved.

This event also had some of the most spectacular Corvette & Viper races with great performances by Jerry Muniz and his C6 Corvette who won the Original Street Class race against a fast Viper RT/10.

Two new Corvette racers showed up at this race to compete in the Original Street Class, with Michael Stephens racing his C6 up to the final round were he lost to Jerry Muniz in an all C6 final round of competition and Ted Amphaeis also demonstrated some great driving skills in the Original Street Class when he produced a 12.503 at 114 mph in a stock 2004 Z06.

In the Genuine Street Class there was an intense competition for the National Championship between Edgar Perez and Eddie Plybon. But at the end of the day it was Ernest King who won the race by beating both Edgar and Eddie in intense and dramatic Genuine Street racing competition, which resulted with Eddie Plybon winning the Championship by 5 points over Edgar Perez in the closest point’s race imaginable.

Serious Street racer Jerry Land appeared to have some fuel pump problems which took him out of the competition, but Jerry still had more than enough points to take home the class Championship.

In Extreme Street, John Carter and his spectacular nitrous oxide injected 2000 Corvette Convertible had an amazing race against a nitrous oxide injected Viper GTS, with John Carter winning with a 9.9 second elapsed time to the Vipers 10.2 ET with both cars running 139 mph. John Carter went on to win the Extreme Street race with a fantastic solo performance running 9.9 seconds at 138 mph. His final round competitor, Steve MacDonald and the purple C4, did not make it to the final round when the pinion on the IRS broke after MacDonald performed an incredible high flying wheel stand with the purple C4 during a previous run.

In the Modified Super Car Class Angelo Valla laid down an 8.6 second performance during eliminations and won the final round in a solo pass when Paul Major had some problems getting his car to the final round race.

The most spectacular race of the day took place between the two of the world’s fastest independent rear suspension Corvettes with Paul Major and his 2001 Z06 racing Steve & Dennis MacDonald’s Purple 1986 Corvette. This race resulted in the fastest IRS race ever between 2 Corvettes with Paul Major winning with a 9.09 second performance to the MacDonald’s 9.10 second performance. The MacDonald’s dedication to C4 chassis preparation also produced an incredible 60ft time of 1.35 seconds on a drag radial, which certainly set the standard of what can be achieved with a C4 IRS suspension.

The most amazing part of this IRS race record competition was that both cars had more power and better performances available so they went back to the pits to tune up for bigger & better performances. The purple C4 came back out first and produced an incredible wheel stand that was near 3 feet high which resulted in a broken pinion.

Then Paul Major came out and delivered a fantastic record setting IRS performance to make history by producing an 8.90 second elapsed time. This makes Paul Major’s Z06 the fastest independent rear suspension C5 Corvette and the current IRS record holder for the American Supercar Challenge.

Congratulations to Paul Major for setting the IRS record and making history with an 8.90 second ET.

Congratulations to Steve and Dennis MacDonald’s for running a 60 ft time of 1.35 seconds with an IRS on a drag radial.

Congratulations to Jerry Muniz for winning the American Super Car Challenge Original Street Championship.

Congratulations to Eddie Plybon for winning the American Super Car Challenge Genuine Street Championship.

Congratulations to Jerry Land for winning the American Super Car Challenge Serious Street Championship.

Congratulations to John Carter for winning the American Super Car Challenge Extreme Street Championship.

Congratulations to Angelo Valla for winning the American Super Car Challenge Modified Super Car Championship.

Stay tuned to the Amercan Supercar Challenge Speed News section which should be updated with more race information by Friday October 7th at http://www.racesupercars.com/
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to all winners Sorry I missed all the fun.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Ned the series ended with a bang and was a lot of fun.

Several drivers have asked about something at Atco like last year. I forgot to ask you about that in OH.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations to all the class winners , and another Atco race would be great , this series needs more fast Vipers or it should be re-named The Corvette Supercar Shootout .
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 AM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Ned,
Yes, it was my fuel pump - Cartek installed a new one on Monday.
Thanks for all of your hard work and congratulations to all the other winners.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Paul Z,

It’s really too bad that you were unable to attend this race; your SuperCar performances would have made this event even more spectacular.

Edgar P,

Thanks for the feedback and yes we all want to have a race at ATCO, but the problem is getting a race date that works for the track and the racers. There are many Supercar racers that want a race date on a Saturday and we need to determine if we can have a race on an upcoming Saturday at ATCO. If not, we may need to try another track. Jerry Land suggested going back to Numidia if ATCO is not possible. Let me know what you think.

Mike R,

We are going to try and get more fast Vipers out to the race. The best way to do this is might be to help develop some affordable and reliable hardware for Vipers to be more competitive, which is what I am currently working towards doing. The two races between John Carter and the red Viper GTS that produced the 10.2 at 139 are great examples of why we need to have the American Supercar Challenge as a Vette & Viper race, because when fast Vipers attend, this race becomes an exceptional event that delivers a much higher level of excitement and enjoyment.

Jerry L,

Thanks for the support. I’m glad to see that you are back in action and ready for more competition. Hopefully, we will be able to establish another race before the end of the year so that you can end the season on a high note.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Default ASSC Championship Points

The American Supercar Challenge points totals have been updated and the Champions names have been listed beside the name of the class.

http://www.racesupercars.com/points.html
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Major Spray
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ned Erkman
The American Supercar Challenge points totals have been updated and the Champions names have been listed beside the name of the class.

http://www.racesupercars.com/points.html

Very Cool Congrats to all the champs

No lets get the performance records updated

Thank again for a super series
Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Default Photo Gallery and Winners Photos

The Photo Gallery and the winners pictures are now up on the site.

http://www.racesupercars.com/photogallery.html

Paul M,

Your IRS record photo was really easy to take since we didn't have to ask you to smile. Congratulations on a great performance and thanks for your continued support.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats to the winners and a nice write up
Old 10-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Major Spray
Drifting

The Photo Gallery and the winners pictures are now up on the site.

http://www.racesupercars.com/photogallery.html

Paul M,

Your IRS record photo was really easy to take since we didn't have to ask you to smile. Congratulations on a great performance and thanks for your continued support.
Ned
I am still smiling.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Default Race Records

The American Supercar Challenge Race records have been updated.

http://www.racesupercars.com/racerecords.html
Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

The American Supercar Challenge Race records have been updated.

http://www.racesupercars.com/racerecords.html
Hi Ned - Just a thought. There have been a few track days now at Beaver Springs in PA where some of the corvette crew has gone and had a wonderful time. Its north of Harrisburg and is an IHRA track. Bob the proprieter is one of the nicest guys you can meet and work with. You might want to consider a year-end event there or possibly a stop on your tour. First class track to boot.

You have an exciting series and if I ever can get a car together I hope to join the series in 2006.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:27 PM
boogieman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Thanks Ned

It was nice racing in this series Ned, great shots and information on the drivers achievements with the records etc. Heads up Pro Tree is awesome, you got to make sure you aren't caught sleeping or it will be all over from the start. Oh I believe with spray in Ohio bracket race I ran an 11.81. I will look for the slip at let you know. Let me not forget the Racers, nice hanging with you to....

Thanks

The Boogieman

Last edited by boogieman; 10-07-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
sixspdvet
Pro

Paul I bet you do still have a big smile... That was one hell of a run.. Congrats to you..

Ned Thanks for the series, man I'm hooked on it.. I just need a sponsor so i can make all of them next year.. I love the Pro Tree..

Edgar, Thanks for getting me envolved..

Congrats to all the Champs.. They all worked very hard..

Ernie
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Ernie I have a real nice video Vanessa shot of you reeling me in this weekend. I have to make it a little smaller then I will post it.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:42 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

I just uploaded 20 videos from this weekends activities including some qualifying and some really fast vettes

www.challengevideos.com

Get notified of new replies

To A great American Supercar Challenge Race

Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

Cool Videos
Your boy Wilkes' car launchs nice.......
Old 10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asmokegars
Hi Ned - Just a thought. There have been a few track days now at Beaver Springs in PA where some of the corvette crew has gone and had a wonderful time. Its north of Harrisburg and is an IHRA track. Bob the proprieter is one of the nicest guys you can meet and work with. You might want to consider a year-end event there or possibly a stop on your tour. First class track to boot.

You have an exciting series and if I ever can get a car together I hope to join the series in 2006.
Alan,

Thanks for the recomendations. We will definetly consider this as an option as there are many racers who want another American Supercar Challenge event before the end of the year.

Thanks for the compliments about the series and make sure to see the new Supercar Speed News article that we have coming out, it is turning out to be a real good artcle about the last event.

NED
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Ned Erkman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jerrymuniz
It was nice racing in this series Ned, great shots and information on the drivers achievements with the records etc. Heads up Pro Tree is awesome, you got to make sure you aren't caught sleeping or it will be all over from the start. Oh I believe with spray in Ohio bracket race I ran an 11.81. I will look for the slip at let you know. Let me not forget the Racers, nice hanging with you to....

Thanks

The Boogieman
Jerry,

Great to have you particpating in the American Supercar Challenge.

That was a great race between you and the Viper and you have a great video of that race.

Stay tuned for the Supercar Speed News for the race at National Trail Raceway , it will be out real soon.

NED

Quick Reply: A great American Supercar Challenge Race