Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Jim Holland wins WCCC Event #3!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
cc42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jim Holland wins WCCC Event #3!

Saturday, February 25 was a clear, sunny racing day in the California high desert, with the temperatures in the 60s to low 70s at our home track, Los Angeles County Raceway. We shared the track with about a hundred Junior Dragsters, and a couple dozen test and tuners.

In what matched up to be an exiting run down attempt of an 14 second car by an 11 second car, it was decided at the tree when the faster car red-lit by .038. Jim Holland, in his red C5 coupe, took the A & A Corvette Performance winner’s trophy in our third 2006 event. This was Jim’s second overall Challenge victory. Congratulations Jim.

The finalists ran out a close race for the spectators anyway, with Jim within .009 of his dial, 14.309 on a 14.30. Runner up Robert Piroumian ran down Jim to cross the stripe first and was .038 off his dial, 11.688 on 11.65. Robert trapped 124.02 mph on that last run.

Jim got to the final with his victory over semi-finalist Linda Reese, when Linda broke out by .015.

Robert Piroumian won the Cormier Chevrolet sponsored Runner-Up trophy in his black supercharged C5 Z06 over semi-finalist Gary Combs. Robert hit a .015 light and ran down the slower car with a two second head start to advance to the final.

In the first round, Linda Reese earned the Vapor Trail Vettes Closest to Dial trophy with a 14.043 run on a 14.01 dial. Al Carrington, the only C4 rep that day, took the LACR/NAPA Auto Parts sponsored Best Reaction Time with his .018 RT. Both trophies are awarded for performance in the first round of eliminations.

Congratulations to our first round winners Ron Posen, Javier Navarro, and Al Carrington. Al Carrington earned a first round bye with his .003 RT during time trials. The WCCC also welcomes Ron Posen to the 2006 points race. Thanks to first time racer Bernie Marschall for bracket racing with us today.

Robert Piroumian was our fastest in eliminations, with an 11.688 ET at 124.02 mph in his black Z06. Robert also trapped 124.68 in another race that day.

The WCCC appreciated the strong turnout from Robert’s club, Simi Valley Corvettes.

Dale Pitman, Sam Reid, Mike Riley, Steve Cudahy, David Harris, Tim Reid, and Lance Knott joined the WCCC for time trials, hope to see them return another time.

It was good to see Henry Mynatt again, making the long distance trip from Tracy to join us in his silver C5 Z06. In addition, Lloyd Miyashiro returned to race with us in his blue C5 coupe.

Thanks to all our sponsors including NAPA Auto Parts/Los Angeles County Raceway, Cormier Chevrolet, Perez Web Design, Opitima Batteries, Vapor Trail Vettes, and especially Andy and Melissa Green of A&A Corvette Performance

Thanks again to Bernie Longjohn and his crew for another well organized race day at our home track, LACR!

2006 Event #3 Summary
Winner: Jim Holland
Runner-Up: Robert Piroumian
Semi-Finalists: Linda Reese and Gary Combs
Best 1st Round RT: Al Carrington .018
Closest to Dial in 1st Rd: Linda Reese 14.043 on a 14.01.
Low ET in Eliminations: Robert Piroumian with 11.688

Now let’s have the participants post with own stories of the day’s event!

Next WCCC event is Saturday, March 18 at Auto Club Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA.

Last edited by cc42; 02-26-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job Jim, and to think if I wouldn't have red lit by-.003 in our race maybe I would have won, maybe next time. Keep up the good work and congrats to all the winner's
Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Congratualtions on the big win Jim.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 AM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to Jim and Robert!

Mike V
Old 02-27-2006, 10:56 AM
DragNLady
Instructor

Congratuations, Jim! The day was quite interesting, to say the least! Nice to see the drivers from Simi...hope they come back!

A good day to shake up the points...Dave was back in S.C. where the big race was rained out...sad, very sad!!!

R
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Congratulations Jim.

Thanks for all the support racers!

Sorry I stole Dave from ya
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Congrats on the event win Jim. Great job Robert with the runner up spot. Sounds like we had a good turnout.

Thanks for the great showing from the Simi Valley Corvettes. It should be a better experience without the junior dragsters. I hope you enjoyed the day with us, and hope you can make it back to race with us again.

I just got back from the east coast yesterday. Sorry I missed it. I heard that the junior dragster folks made it a long day with lots of waiting, along with having to dodge the idiots driving their golf carts all thru our pits and across staging lanes, in a lot of cases with entire families in tow. I sorry about the bad race day experience, but when the original schedule was coordinated with LACR, the junior event was in the morning, and the Corvettes would run after they were done. For some reason, LACR made the change to run all groups together. Had I know that earlier, I would have not committed to that. I will use it as a lesson learned...don't race with the juniors at the same event if we can avoid it.

I would like to give a big thanks to my wife(AKA DragNLady) for hauling all of the WCCC event stuff(trophies, tables, registration stuff, etc...) out to the track while I was off playing on the east coast...business and National Corvette Challenge attempt which was unfortunately was rained out.

Also thanks to Chris, Gary, Alice, Mike, Phil, & Linda and everyone that helped out in my absence.

-dave
Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Mary and I enjoyed your company Dave. Every time I pass the Cracker Barrel I'll be thinking about ya.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks Bob. I enjoyed meeting you and Mary for dinner in Huntsville. Also, thanks for the offer to run your C5 at Carolina Dragway on Friday during test-N-tune. I really appreciate the offer. I got to meet a lot of good folks at the track that night. Just sorry I didn't get to spend some more time with everyone on Saturday or Sunday.

Sorry I didn't get around to say goodbye to you and Mary on Saturday before I bugged out of town...after I left the track around 10 AM... planning on returning on Sunday morning, I got back to the hotel to find the forum post cancelling the national event all together...so I capitalized on an opportunity to get down to visit some of my family 130 miles southeast of Aiken. Then I got back to Huntsville on Sunday night and flew back to California on Monday. I'll be sure to look you up next time I'm in Huntsville...if you haven't moved on to the next contract.

-dave
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Clcik for event photo gallery
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Web page updated with pictures, points and article
www.corvette-challenge.com

Get notified of new replies

To Jim Holland wins WCCC Event #3!

Quick Reply: Jim Holland wins WCCC Event #3!