Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Burnout tip for stick drivers without line-lock.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:43 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Burnout tip for stick drivers without line-lock.

At the track, I remove my clutch pedal rubber pad. This makes it a little more slippery and very easy to side step the clutch for the best possible burnout, especially if you have a strong pressure plate. With the clutch to the floor, plant your heel against the side of the footwell. Then when you've got the rpms up, simply rotate your foot clockwise off the pedal and let it spring up, then of course get on the brake as quickly as possible. This reduces your chance of being a fool and slipping off the clutch unintentionally, or accidentally getting traction or clutch slip during the burnout.

It would also make it easier to burnout in 2nd gear, although I haven't tried yet.

This works much better than my previous method of smearing motor oil on my left shoe before each run.

I don't think I'll ever get line lock, as burning out this way is much more exciting, letting the *** end swing back and forth.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:53 PM
dr.juice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the burnouts (before I got the line lock) with my right foot(heel side) on the throttle and with my toes on the brakes while working the clutch with left foot. And when getting out of the burnout just rotating my right foot clockwise releasing the brake. It was pretty easy...I think. I do all my burnouts in 2nd gear.
Just sharing....
Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Before the lock, I used to just get them spinning with a fast release, then applied a little brake to keep it there. Add much heat, much smoke and let the 60' slide lower and lower
Dave
PS get a line lock way easier and less cleaning on the rear rims from the dust

Get notified of new replies

To Burnout tip for stick drivers without line-lock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burnout tip for stick drivers without line-lock.