Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Budget Drag Shocks (C5)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Bob
Ya Think?
Seriously Nice up!

I guess we should have asked you what your 60' was to begin with.. Dont you try to tell me that front end in the air is not 1.5 or better 60'

Only 2 things I can think of to kill a 60.. Lack of traction or lack of HP.

My 60's suck cause of traction... That does not look to be your issue in that pic
Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

That is a perfect pic of your front end up !!

They may not have felt like the shocks were working because you do not have traction issues...........

Have fun !!!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Well put it this way..

The last 5 runs with stock shocks, my 60's were 1.55
with the Lakewoods they were 1.58
Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Well put it this way..

The last 5 runs with stock shocks, my 60's were 1.55
with the Lakewoods they were 1.58

Not sure that little amount even counts.. maybe it was too hot out.. lol

Seriously the track at Moroso was so slippery that getting sub 1.6's is a challenge on any night.. Those lakewoods I am certain would help..

Now that the track is being completely rebuild end to end.. I suspect I better have a tow truck follow me to the first Challenge of the season on the new track... My best 60 so far is a 1.695...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Apparently, Sam Strano, a suspension guru over on LS1TECH feels drag shocks on our C5's are worthless:

Let me quote his post:
"PLEASE run your stock shocks on that car. Please.

Background: Base C5's have very little low-speed rebound damping in the front shocks. In short they don't keep the car from weight tranferring and they drive better on the street then "Drag shocks". We PM'ed, we spoke on the phone and explained why (or tried) why the stock shocks are better. Seems that's not sinking in and I can't understand why when he's already seen the stock shocks not only leave better, but drive better than drag shocks why we're still going after a different set.

You need to understand how the shocks work, not just listen to the tag-line "drag shock". How was I unclear exactly? More rebound damping slows the pitch rate (the nose rising). You don't want that in a drag car, but you do want some decent control of it on the road. The fact is base C5 shocks don't have much low-speed force there, which is why the car does move. But they have more forces at higher piston speeds which is why the car doesn't drive like *** at speed. You put a set of Lakewoods on it and made it not better, but worse. What does that tell you?"

I wonder how, Carerra, or HAL, or whoever makes the QA1 Stocker Star "R" series, specifically for C5's will react if I forward them this opinion..

This guy seems to be talking in circles...
He says we don't want front end lift in drag cars, then says stock shocks don't have much rebound..
(lift or extension)..
Then he talks about high piston speed and how the car drives..
I thought we were talking about a drag car at the track..

I'm kinda missing his beat..
Are you??

Last edited by YO-EL; 07-31-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
2000whitec5
Burning Brakes

Location: 10.54 @ 129 346 N/A A4 Record 9.78 @ 139+ on 150 shot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have gone 1.45 on all stock everything, gona take the front sway bar off this week
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2000whitec5
i have gone 1.45 on all stock everything, gona take the front sway bar off this week
Me too... so.....does that mean front drag shocks won't help 60' or launch?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Thoughts on Sam Strano's reply:

PLEASE run your stock shocks on that car. Please.

Background: Base C5's have very little low-speed rebound damping in the front shocks. In short they don't keep the car from weight tranferring and they drive better on the street then "Drag shocks". We PM'ed, we spoke on the phone and explained why (or tried) why the stock shocks are better. Seems that's not sinking in and I can't understand why when he's already seen the stock shocks not only leave better, but drive better than drag shocks why we're still going after a different set.

You need to understand how the shocks work, not just listen to the tag-line "drag shock". How was I unclear exactly? More rebound damping slows the pitch rate (the nose rising). You don't want that in a drag car, but you do want some decent control of it on the road. The fact is base C5 shocks don't have much low-speed force there, which is why the car does move. But they have more forces at higher piston speeds which is why the car doesn't drive like *** at speed. You put a set of Lakewoods on it and made it not better, but worse. What does that tell you?"
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Ellis, your killing me here. I think I'm gonna go outside and do a few hole shots just for $hits and giggles.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Relax Bob...

I'm just a little taken back by Mr Strano's remarks..
Its like I have personally offended him by actually trying drag shocks after he advised me not to..

All I wanted was some advice and his opinion..
His comments are some what contradictory if you read them.
Like I said, it seems he is talking in circles..

Anyway, I'll try the QA1 R series, if they work out, great, if not, so be it.
I can always go back to the Lakewoods or the stock ones..
Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I just came across this post. I have been looking into the QA1s, but for $120 I might try the Lakewoods. However it seems like we are getting conflicting information. One guys says they work, one guy says no difference. So is there a consensus on the 90/10 shocks?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

If your having traction problems - this setup will give you weight transfer.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 AM
u luz
Racer

I can tell you this i did the lakewoods on my car and my 60 foot times went from 1.44-1.46 to 1.50s and i drag race my car a lot. im going back to the stock front shocks i think that our front ends.. mine anyways is to light to even extend this shock fast enough.i have the strange front brakes on my car.i can hardly pull this shock apart when it is compressed all the way its cheap to go back so like yo-el says if you want my lakewood shocks and extentions i will sell thm for 50.00 shipped.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
comecorrect
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of guys with mustangs are getting better results with the 70/30's.

Last edited by comecorrect; 01-11-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Sinfix
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FRC Rob
I followed the advice of another CorvetteForum member about putting budget front drag shocks on my C5 (thanks 123sugey) Here's the rundown for those who might be interested in this sort of thing:

Bought 2 Lakewood 90/10 drag shocks (part # 40101) and a set of Mr Gasket 3 1/2" shock extensions (part # 1290); grand total was right around $100 (vs. ~$500 for C5 specific adjustable shocks) . These are somewhat "universal" shocks that can fit quite a few different vehicles, and come with an assortment of mounting hardware, depending on your application. I re-used my original upper bushings since they were in good shape and seemed better & beefier than the little universal ones provided with the new shocks. I also used the following "shop supplies" during the install: a couple of extra washers for the lower control arm mounts, along with some silicone grease for the bushings and a little loctite on the extensions. Overall, the installation went fast & easy...the original shocks are pretty stiff and required a bit of wrestling to remove, but the Lakewoods went right in.

Now, onto the big question...can you actually drive around on these things? I got the more aggressive 90/10's, which are not recommended for street use, and I'm glad I did. (70/30 versions are also available...Lakewood claims they are okay for "street/strip" vehicles.) This car is my daily driver, and I have been testing them out during normal street driving over the past few days; no track results yet. My front swaybar had already been removed, but the 90/10's are still very driveable. I'm not a corner jockey, but I'd bet that my car still handles better than 90% of the cars on the road, even with drag shocks and no swaybar. It rides a little softer in front, but still drives and corners great. The front end really doesn't lift much at all unless you really nail it from down low, but it settles back down nicely. It isn't floaty nor bouncy, and corners just fine. If any South Florida guys are considering this mod but are concerned about the driveability, get with me at any of the Moroso or Countyline Challenge events...I'd be happy to let you drive the car and see for yourself.

Rob
So um..... How did you get fine thread extensions to mount to coarse thread shocks?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sinfix
So um..... How did you get fine thread extensions to mount to coarse thread shocks?
Not sure if the extensions or shocks have changed over the years but extensions were coarse threads ... extensions being installed without any issues. I have zero doubt the extenders to shocks would have changed.

I had had huge issues with traction back then. Being a street racer I didn’t want to show mods. Or at least ones others would say oh crap. Not being a corner carver they served me well. This combo was for sure the best bang for the buck for better launches on the street and on the track... 1.49’ wasn’t that bad
Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 PM
x TX OuTLawZ x
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 123sugey
Not sure if the extensions or shocks have changed over the years but extensions were coarse threads ... extensions being installed without any issues. I have zero doubt the extenders to shocks would have changed.

I had had huge issues with traction back then. Being a street racer I didn’t want to show mods. Or at least ones others would say oh crap. Not being a corner carver they served me well. This combo was for sure the best bang for the buck for better launches on the street and on the track... 1.49’ wasn’t that bad
I just received my shocks and extensions today and the extensions are not the same thread as the shocks😡
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

That sux and a crappy inconvenience for sure. Ship em back once you confirm what the threads are on the shocks you just received
Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by x TX OuTLawZ x
I just received my shocks and extensions today and the extensions are not the same thread as the shocks😡
I had same issue, I just ran a tap through extension and rethreaded it

Quick Reply: Budget Drag Shocks (C5)