Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Wheels/Tires Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Wheels/Tires Question

I am new and have been to a drag strip once (not with the z). I have searched many threats and have come to this conclusion.

Power Level: 440rwhp
Goals: Have fun, but learn to race safe and right

My questions are these:

1. I have stock 02 zo6 wheels and TSW Interlagos (same size as the stock wheels). What set of wheels should I use for the street and what set should I use for the strip with drag radials?

2. Although there seems to be lots of opinions on drag radials, the M/T's seem to be the most popular correct? What size tires should I go with given the above wheels sizes?

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
My questions are these:

1. I have stock 02 zo6 wheels and TSW Interlagos (same size as the stock wheels). What set of wheels should I use for the street and what set should I use for the strip with drag radials?
It's a personal choice of course and I would normally choose the lightest pair to use for track passes but in this case, considering you'll only be using two rims for the drag radials I would use the stock FRONT (17x9.5) C5 Z06 rims with either Mickey Thompson 275-40-17 drag radials on them or even another brand (Hoosier, Nitto NT05R etc) of drag radial in the same size. Using the 17s on the back is better (and the tires are also cheaper) for this application over using the 18s.
The TSWs might be better for full time street use as they will match front and rear.

2. Although there seems to be lots of opinions on drag radials, the M/T's seem to be the most popular correct? What size tires should I go with given the above wheels sizes?
275-40-17 but you can also squeeze a 315-35-17 on there or even a 295-45-17 if you need something taller (you don't need that right now).
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using 04 rear wheels 18x9.5" and have been using Nitto 555 size 305/35x18" but I just made a few changes & they won't hold consistently, so I just bought a set of BFG 295/35x18" and they should be a lot better...

My 60' with the Nittos was 1.62 - 1.66 when it HOOKED UP.. otherwise my 60' was 2.10 & I'd just give up on the run...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jpee
so I just bought a set of BFG 295/35x18" and they should be a lot better...
I sure hope those work out for you, fortunately Dennis50nj was able to drive that exact same tire/size combo into the 10s (low 1.5x/high 1.4x sixty foots) with his (blue C6 A4) bolt on car before switching to M/Ts and Hoosiers so you should be ok.

My 60' with the Nittos was 1.62 - 1.66 when it HOOKED UP.. otherwise my 60' was 2.10 & I'd just give up on the run...
Probably all temperature related, Nitto 555Rs hate anything under 50 degrees.
I would've stuck with the (longer lasting, slightly more 'street friendly') Nittos through the warmer months and then put the BFGs on in October but that's just me.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I sure hope those work out for you, fortunately Dennis50nj was able to drive that exact same tire/size combo into the 10s (low 1.5x/high 1.4x sixty foots) with his (blue C6 A4) bolt on car before switching to M/Ts and Hoosiers so you should be ok.

Thats good to hear...

Probably all temperature related, Nitto 555Rs hate anything under 50 degrees.
I would've stuck with the (longer lasting, slightly more 'street friendly') Nittos through the warmer months and then put the BFGs on in October but that's just me.
I plan on using my Nittos until I'm past the wear bar, THEN I'll put the BFG's on... Its too much of a bother to remove used Nitto & try to sell them, transport them etc.. I'll just fight it out,, I only have 3- maybe 4 races left in tghem...
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I plan on using my Nittos until I'm past the wear bar, THEN I'll put the BFG's on... Its too much of a bother to remove used Nitto & try to sell them, transport them etc.. I'll just fight it out,, I only have 3- maybe 4 races left in tghem...
As it gets warmer they'll get a little more 'consistent' again (until they get 'too worn' of course). A little longer burnout and another pound or two lower in pressure can go a long way there.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
jpee
Race Director

Thanks Marc.... I'm not sure when I'm racing again... (Atco is too far + its over $30 in tolls round trip for me.. I'll either run at E Town in the CC "bracket" and the Mixed Index..

I did well in the Index last time when I lost to Farley.. I had a .037 light to his 1xx but I spun HARD and gave it up at to 60' clock...

I think if I hooked on that run I could have won with over ..090 advantage on the clock + I was holding about .030 ...

I'm still experimenting as to where I should let off the gas and coast to a 12.0 ET... Last time I had 3 runs all 12.08xx so I just have to fine tune the spot where I let off the gas..

MY RT are all good .040 or better....
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I'm still experimenting as to where I should let off the gas and coast to a 12.0 ET... Last time I had 3 runs all 12.08xx so I just have to fine tune the spot where I let off the gas..
Well, next time it might also be a 500-1000 foot higher DA as well, you might not be 'letting off' or tapping brakes at all LOL.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM
jpee
Race Director

Well, next time it might also be a 500-1000 foot higher DA as well, you might not be 'letting off' or tapping brakes at all LOL.
Very true !! Our next race both the "CC" and "Mixed Index" are May 11th...

I hope E Town will do the same and let the "Index" cars enter with the CC cars for $50... that was a pleasant surprise...

Summit told me the BFG's are back ordered and they should be shipping to me May 2nd or 3rd...

I am almost to the wear bars on my Nitto 555s so there is no sense in me taking them off now... and besides by the time they (Summit) ship them I might have used all thats left in the Nittos..

I honestly don't expect too much life in the BFG's ... You may have to help me with selecting 17" wheels for my car (I'd like something that is close (in looks) to my front 5 spoke polished aluminium)....

Also I have to get a 17" tire with an overall diameter of 26.xx close to what the OEM is..I can't be changing tires at my age That is one reason I went to BFG instead of MT.. I think I'll get a little more use out of the BFG's ... I KNOW the MT will hook better than BFG's but I am trying to burn the candle at both ends.. (TRACTION & Longer Life)

The Nitto's were perfect when I had the stock converter, and stock intake manifold... but since I got the 2800 & Cartek ported my intake etc... etc... The Nitto's are too inconsistent.. I will use them until I get the BFG's and by then in the warmer weather, and using BFG over the Nitto I should be "OK" I'm not sure which tire I'll have on the car by May 11th...

But I am "SURE" I'll be running in the CC bracket & the "Mixed Index" maybe I'll be using my run flat OEM tires by then...
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I hope E Town will do the same and let the "Index" cars enter with the CC cars for $50... that was a pleasant surprise...
Oh they did do that for the Mixed Index/CC combo?
I thought they were only going to do that for the Modern Muscle and CC if people chose that combo.
Good deal.

You may have to help me with selecting 17" wheels for my car (I'd like something that is close (in looks) to my front 5 spoke polished aluminium)....

Also I have to get a 17" tire with an overall diameter of 26.xx close to what the OEM is..
I already have it picked out. The exact rims you're using now also come in a 17x8.5 (stock 2000-2004 C5 LS1 polished front wheels) with a 275-40-17 M/T on them.
They're ever so slightly shorter but not so much so that it will mess with your ABS/active handling at all and only throws the speedometer off ever so slightly (Julio can adjust that as well if need be). The upside is extra ca$h in your pocket every season, better gearing and slightly lighter weight = lower sixty foots/ETs.
You can also go for the 'ebay specials' (polished C6 replicas/reproductions in 17") that are an EXACT match for your stock front wheels but they tend to weigh more and can be more cheaply made sometimes as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

What about these on stock zo6 wheels?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...oductId=753925

Also, being I am new and stupid , do I buy only two and use regular street tires on the front (probably a real stupid question)?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info:

If I use my front stock wheels on the back, then what do I put on the front?

It's a personal choice of course and I would normally choose the lightest pair to use for track passes but in this case, considering you'll only be using two rims for the drag radials I would use the stock FRONT (17x9.5) C5 Z06 rims with either Mickey Thompson 275-40-17 drag radials on them or even another brand (Hoosier, Nitto NT05R etc) of drag radial in the same size. Using the 17s on the back is better (and the tires are also cheaper) for this application over using the 18s.
The TSWs might be better for full time street use as they will match front and rear.

275-40-17 but you can also squeeze a 315-35-17 on there or even a 295-45-17 if you need something taller (you don't need that right now).
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

What about these on stock zo6 wheels?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...oductId=753925
Those would be perfect for the 18x10.5 C5 Z06 rims but you WILL be spending more money on tires (AND probably go ever so slightly slower as well) when going with those 18s over the 275-40-17s.
If it were me, I would (and have) go with the 17x9.5 C5 Z06 front rims with the 17" drag radials, but it's your choice as they'll both work well.

Also, being I am new and stupid , do I buy only two and use regular street tires on the front (probably a real stupid question)?
If I use my front stock wheels on the back, then what do I put on the front?
You can just leave your TSW front wheels/tires on the front and be fine, it won't be an exact match with the rears of course but if it's only for the track then it's no big deal (for most people at least).
If you were going with a bias ply (ie: drag slicks or DOT legal drag slick etc.) then I would recommend against using stock full size radials up front as it can get a little 'squirrelly' up at the top end of the track and getting a pair of 'skinnies' up there instead (which would also help reduce your ETs even further) would be a better choice, but you should be fine when using drag radials.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have come to the point of having a dedicated set of wheels for the track. I went with 275/40/17 Hoosiers Dr's out back on a set of 17" Z06 rims and gto spares up front with M&H racemasters. I had the MT dr's before & have the hoosiers now .Both equal imo.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels/Tires Question

Quick Reply: Wheels/Tires Question