Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Awful news from Englishtown...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...towntopend.jpg

the video is slightly misleading as far as that wall after the sand traps. there's so much speculation that can be done... it's hard to really know what happened beyond the sand.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
0Carmen@TheVetteDoctors
Former Vendor

Location: Amityville 2010 & 2011 NMCA Late Model EFI Champions BEST Service & the BEST prices on the EastCoast

Originally Posted by REDGAR
That is absolutely horrible news
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
MPRTKLR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MillerTime2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...towntopend.jpg

the video is slightly misleading as far as that wall after the sand traps. there's so much speculation that can be done... it's hard to really know what happened beyond the sand.
Again as mentioned, that barrier didn't even stop him which is what it is suppose to do. It is nearly impossible to slow down a car from those speeds safely when the driver is un-conscience. He went into and over that barrier, into the crane arm, into the woods, and hit a tree. I saw the car in the woods. It is just tough to fathom a car not slowing down and crashing at 300 mph. I really do not think you can blame e-town for this as they have quite a long run-off. A top fuel driver was able to slow his car down with no chutes before the sand traps earlier in the day. I believe it was Antoine Brown, but cant remember.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

I am still very upset about this.... When my phone rang earlier and I seen Panuzzo's cell phone # I dont know why but I knew he was going to tell me someone got killed..... And when I was on the phone with him he was pretty sure Scott passed but not sure they anounced that racing was done for the night we knew it was true.... I met Scott years ago, nice guy... Very sad news......
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR
Again as mentioned, that barrier didn't even stop him which is what it is suppose to do. It is nearly impossible to slow down a car from those speeds safely when the driver is un-conscience. He went into and over that barrier, into the crane arm, into the woods, and hit a tree. I saw the car in the woods. It is just tough to fathom a car not slowing down and crashing at 300 mph. I really do not think you can blame e-town for this as they have quite a long run-off. A top fuel driver was able to slow his car down with no chutes before the sand traps earlier in the day. I believe it was Antoine Brown, but cant remember.
oh yeah, my picture was just to illustrate to efranzen that the wall wasn't perpendicular to the track. he was wondering how they could possibly place a cement wall at the end of the track like that
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR
E-town has one of the longest run-offs in the country. In all honesty, there was nothing that could have saved him. It seems that he never even hit the brakes. I would assume he was un-conscience from the initial explosion and the chutes just disintegrated. He went through those sand traps at 300mph. It didn't matter how long the run-off was. That you tube video posted doesn't really show everything. He went over that barrier, hit the crane arm where they have a camera stationed, and then went into the woods and hit a tree. To put it in perspective, a top fuel racer earlier in the day had his chutes fail and was still able to slow down and make the turn before the sand traps. Scott went through the sand traps at full speed. It is a horrible tragedy and after I walked back from the woods, I passed by the Kalitta trailers and it was just a horrible feeling. They actually roped off both sides so noone could cross for a little while out of respect. RIP Scott

I believe sadly, that you are exactly right!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 AM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I just watched the video from ESPN frame by frame and looks like he missed the netting completely and hit the curved part of the wall that is shown in the satellite photo above.

However, in addition to the curved wall, there is also another concrete wall that looks like it was put at the end of the track to protect the camera crane/lift. This wall appears to be perpendicular to the track, however it does not seem this was were most of the impact occurred.

Very, very sad and hope the folks from NHRA take a look at the design of capture devices at the end of the track. If a jet can be captured on an aircraft carrier, there must be a better way to capture runaway race-cars.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Just unbelievable.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

That's really bad news....
Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

he was wondering how they could possibly place a cement wall at the end of the track like that
Face it, had the wall stopped him, what would have the hit at ~300mph done.

I could see a design change of barriers at all NHRA tracks after this crash but, fact it, at those speeds things can happen and all possibilities cannot be taken into account.

It's tough to hear of a driver's death or serious injury...
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tragic.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Nitrous Bob
Another terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers go out to Scott's family and friends.

Terrible, terrible tragic news and my thoughts and prayers go out to Scott Kalitta, his entire family and friend! At least he died doing what he loves best but he went way to young (46)!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 AM
fastphil
Racer

Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We should all pray for Scott and his family--those poor kids.

The only safe thing I could think that the NHRA could implement that would have saved Scott would be a remote control device manned by his pit crew that allows them to brake & steer in the event of a catastrophy wherein their driver is unconscious. Someone needed to hit the brakes for him and his family.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 AM
2manycars
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '14

I had just gotten to the track when this happened. I did not see it, but saw an ambulance head out at speed with sirens/lights.

Another person also passed when this happened. Stories went around about a cameraman being struck, but this turned out to be false. Someone who was either at that end just watching, or who went out to try to get the driver out (conflicting stories circulating) suffered a stroke. He didn't survive either. Just a terrible thing all around. Prayers for the families and friends....

Old 06-22-2008, 01:14 AM
2manycars
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

The only safe thing I could think that the NHRA could implement that would have saved Scott would be a remote control device manned by his pit crew that allows them to brake & steer in the event of a catastrophy wherein their driver is unconscious. Someone needed to hit the brakes for him and his family.
I had this thought as well. I'm sure enough technology exists to implement some form of fail-safe device for the faster cars. It would need to be very carefully sorted out though. How intrusive can it be? What systems to affect (fuel cutoff, chute deployment)? You need to affect only the vehicle in trouble, too. You don't want the solution to be more dangerous than the problem. But I'll bet it's doable.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Awful news from Englishtown...

Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Capps and Pedregon made some interesting comments.....their point was that over the years the cars have gotten faster and faster but the tracks are the same...

Many of the tracks cannot be extended for any number of reasons and that wouldn't help with an unconscious driver anyway...maybe it is time to look into a passive restraint system kind of like on aircraft carriers...using nets or cables they would catch the vehicle and slowly but increasingly apply the pressure to slow it down....this would avoid wrecking the car with a fixed net and the driver wouldn't have anything to do with it...

Seems like with todays technology this would be a fairly simple matter...of course, the NHRA won't even consider this as it might make folks aware of how dangerous the sport is and how reactive that organization is versus being pro-active...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

Monster trucks have a similar device where a crew member can kill the engine. Not sure about steering though.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
onefast99
Melting Slicks

It looked as if the chutes just went up in flames, I wonder if there are any materials that would withstand the intense heat like the ones used for the space shuttle by NASA. My prayers go out for the Kalitta family.

Quick Reply: Awful news from Englishtown...