Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Awful news from Englishtown...

Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

an absolute tragedy. my condolences for the family.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Kalitta family. May Scott Rest In Peace.

I do remember being at the '82 Summernationals at E'town and saw him race for the first time. He went out doing what he loved to do.

He will be sadly missed.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Old 06-22-2008, 11:25 AM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The track has been in hot water with noise and such for quite some time. Hope this isn't the nail in their coffin.

that video sent chills up my spine. May He Rest In Peace.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM
black knight 06
Pro

Was there on Friday with Tony & Rosie. This is so hard to believe.
Rest in peace
Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
MPRTKLR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J Z06
The track has been in hot water with noise and such for quite some time. Hope this isn't the nail in their coffin.

that video sent chills up my spine. May He Rest In Peace.
I don't want to detract from this thread, but it is an absolute joke that the track has had to fight so much with the "locals". That track was there WAY before anyone moved in. Then years later they developed the area and now people are complaining about the noise. If you didn't want to be around noise, you shouldn't have moved next to a freakin' race track. Sorry but it pisses me off to no end that people are fighting with Raceway Park when it was there way before any of these complaining residents, so THEY should move or deal with it. I truly hope these scumbags don't twist this around in their fight against the track. Again I apologize for going a little OT. RIP Scott
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Originally Posted by Turbo Bob
Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Kalitta family. May Scott Rest In Peace.

I do remember being at the '82 Summernationals at E'town and saw him race for the first time. He went out doing what he loved to do.

He will be sadly missed.
My wife and I were there also.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
SpeedRacerGirl
Le Mans Master

Location: Hudson Valley Region, NY The "sonoma/napa" of the Northeast~~~~~ Are we there yet?
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Monster trucks have a similar device where a crew member can kill the engine. Not sure about steering though.
Its called an RII, remote ignition interrupt. I used them in monster trucking days... theres two sides to this.. the good side being that a crew member or safety official in the tower can kill the truck with the push of a button should the driver become unconcious or the truck be out of control.. however.. there are also several accounts where an RII was pushed and the driver was fine, causing him to lose power and not be able to correct his/her own driving thus causing a crash that never would have happened.

In the case of cars with speeds like this... it might be beneficial but you have to remember the sheer momentum that cars travelling these speeds carry.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
SpeedRacerGirl
Le Mans Master

Location: Hudson Valley Region, NY The "sonoma/napa" of the Northeast~~~~~ Are we there yet?
St. Jude Donor '08

Thoughts prayers and compassion go out to Scotts family... as trivial a comfort as it may be to say. He died doing what he loved.

Its a sickening and scary wake up call to those of us who get on the track each sat. in beautiful englishtown. His memory will not soon be forgotten.

Before you go to bed tonight.. thank god that he allows us to do what we do each day
Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 PM
2manycars
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR
I don't want to detract from this thread, but it is an absolute joke that the track has had to fight so much with the "locals". That track was there WAY before anyone moved in. Then years later they developed the area and now people are complaining about the noise. If you didn't want to be around noise, you shouldn't have moved next to a freakin' race track. Sorry but it pisses me off to no end that people are fighting with Raceway Park when it was there way before any of these complaining residents, so THEY should move or deal with it. I truly hope these scumbags don't twist this around in their fight against the track. Again I apologize for going a little OT. RIP Scott
100%
Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

That is bad news I am sorry to hear about that.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:52 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Very sad day. I should not have watched the crash video. That is not an image that I want to remember.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

Very classy move on Team Force's part. Sends a chill down my spine to see the entire team standing there without their car.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Chris
Very classy move on Team Force's part. Sends a chill down my spine to see the entire team standing there without their car.
..... despite having a difficult-separation, I noticed the Team Kalitta members stood next to former Crew Chief Rahn Tobler
Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by J Z06
I agree, while that battle is quite trivial right now in light of this horrible tragedy/loss of a fellow drag racer, I would hate to think that some locals might try to use this as a tool or leverage to boost their chances of getting the track silenced.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Scott's family and friends.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM
ToolMaker427
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

God bless you Scott. You will be missed.

Get notified of new replies

To Awful news from Englishtown...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR
E-town has one of the longest run-offs in the country. In all honesty, there was nothing that could have saved him. It seems that he never even hit the brakes. I would assume he was un-conscience from the initial explosion and the chutes just disintegrated. He went through those sand traps at 300mph. It didn't matter how long the run-off was. That you tube video posted doesn't really show everything. He went over that barrier, hit the crane arm where they have a camera stationed, and then went into the woods and hit a tree. To put it in perspective, a top fuel racer earlier in the day had his chutes fail and was still able to slow down and make the turn before the sand traps. Scott went through the sand traps at full speed. It is a horrible tragedy and after I walked back from the woods, I passed by the Kalitta trailers and it was just a horrible feeling. They actually roped off both sides so noone could cross for a little while out of respect. RIP Scott

This isn't anyones fault. It was just bad luck. The chutes were burned up and even if they had a longer run-off, I don't think it would have mattered as that car was absolutely hauling a$$.

Having an ignition cut-off wouldn't have helped. The engine will run w/o spark from the heat generated by the cylinder pressure and combustion of the prior stroke. (essentially a diesel engine after a certain point)
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shakes up the whole NHRA/IHRA/Drag Racer... RIP Scott

Last edited by Bowtie8; 06-23-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie8
Shakes up the whole NHRA/IHRA/Hobbiest Drag Racer...

Hobby?

Drag racing hasn`t been a hobby for nearly 40 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awful news from Englishtown...