Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

How sleep affect your reaction time

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default How sleep affect your reaction time

While getting for work today there was a little snipet of on sleep that caugt my ear when they read the bullet that said something like get 6 hours or less a night affects your reaction time.

What do you guys think?
Are you a regular 8 hour a night sleeper and do you cut good reaction times?

Do you try to get a good nights rest before a race or maybe the week leading up to a race?

I know when I travel to a race I try to split the drive up into a couple of days so I don't fatigue but on local race pre-night, I am guilty of not getting enough sleep. I never really tried to figure if that affects me or how much.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

I always thought I needed 9 to 10 hours of sleep to be ready for the tree. I won one event with only 2 or 3 hours sleep (Robbie had bad dreams, Katelyn screaming & wife yelling all night). I felt like I was hit by a truck. I was sluggish and punch drunk, when I went around the wall I woke hope and game on. Really weird. Then there are the nights I sleep 10 hours and I am ready for anything.

It seems that I am on the fence here. I have done well with very sleep and with 10 hours sleep. Years ago it did effect me if I did not get at least 8 hours sleep. I guess my body is changing.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

9-10 hrs?
8 hrs?

You gotta be kidding me!

I can't remember the last time I had more than 6 hrs!

Bed @ 11:30-12:00 PM, alarm goes off at 5:45AM

WHO gets 8 hrs sleep & has kids & a job?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some get that much sleep on the tree.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I don't know about sleep or not. IMO too much sleep makes you just as slow at the light as too little helps you redlight... However, I have found that a toss with my sweet wifey always helps my performance the next day!!! One way or another..
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't seen a relationship between the amount of sleep and my RT's.

Once I go through the wall I'm very awake. I always try to hit the exact same spot on the tree and adjust the car if necessary. I wait to see the light come on then hit it. If I need to cut a better light I adjust the car to react faster. Some drink a few red bulls to acomplish the same thing. The amount of sleep time may have more of an effect on drivers who anticipate the tree or use the counting method than those who see and go.

I have had issues with late night return trips from the track after racing with 2-3 hours sleep. Last leg of the 2 hour trip home at 1am is brutal.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
WEB AIR
Pro

Here's the facts from Stanford:

"In a test of reaction times, people who were tired because of disrupted sleep performed about as poorly as subjects who were legally drunk, the researchers report. The study is the first to show severe impairment in people who have only mild to moderate sleep disturbances."

While I personally cannot tell a difference obviously there is. I never sleep more than 6 hrs so am I sleep deprived or am I getting all the sleep I need? There are many more studies that will show we
all require different amounts of sleep. The key here is the word 'disturbances'. If you don't get your normal amount of sleep your reaction times suffer.

Last edited by WEB AIR; 01-14-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WEB AIR
Here's the facts from Stanford:

"In a test of reaction times, people who were tired because of disrupted sleep performed about as poorly as subjects who were legally drunk, the researchers report. The study is the first to show severe impairment in people who have only mild to moderate sleep disturbances."

While I personally cannot tell a difference obviously there is. I never sleep more than 6 hrs so am I sleep deprived or am I getting all the sleep I need? There are many more studies that will show we
all require different amounts of sleep. The key here is the word 'disturbances'. If you don't get your normal amount of sleep your reaction times suffer.
So your telling me I race like I'm legally drunk? May seem that was at times.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

Originally Posted by kazman
So your telling me I race like I'm legally drunk? May seem that was at times.
Not me ol buddy. That's what Stanford says.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Bob you have a link? I thought when i heard the legally drunk think it was preceded with something like those who stay awake for 24 hours are equal to being legally drunk
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Bob you have a link? I thought when i heard the legally drunk think it was preceded with something like those who stay awake for 24 hours are equal to being legally drunk
http://news.stanford.edu/news/1999/s...sleep-929.html
Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

Originally Posted by YO-EL
9-10 hrs?
8 hrs?

You gotta be kidding me!

I can't remember the last time I had more than 6 hrs!

Bed @ 11:30-12:00 PM, alarm goes off at 5:45AM

WHO gets 8 hrs sleep & has kids & a job?
I do have interrupted sleep. Oh do I. I may be laying in bed for 9 to 10 hours. The actually sleep time is probably about 6 hours. Then there is the powder I give the kids the night before a race for them to sleep.

Lately I have been falling asleep around mid night. Waking up at 4 am to give baby a bottle. Sometimes two hours into my sons sleep he will start screaming. That will last for about an hour.

I guess the coffee will counteracts the lack of sleep for me.

Who knows. As Bob said. Everyone is different.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What do you guys think?
Are you a regular 8 hour a night sleeper and do you cut good reaction times?
Do you try to get a good nights rest before a race or maybe the week leading up to a race?
Very interesting (and relevant) discussion.
I have a mild case of insomnia but much of it is my own fault as I spend far too much time on the internet (and watching TV) and am regularly up until 4-5am in the morning (and sleeping until noon (and sometimes later)) as a result of it LOL.
The obvious problem with a sleep schedule such as that is when it comes time to be up at 7am to make it to E-town by 8:30 so as to not get stuck waiting in line at the gate (and tech) is that there is no way to do it properly. I'd basically have to force myself to get up with only a few hours sleep and be potentially sluggish all day (coffee helps though). And I know this was affecting my focus/concentration at the tree as no matter what I tried I just wasn't getting the numbers down from my (at best) typical .9xx to .5xx lights.
When I'd try to go to bed earlier I would simply toss and turn (excitement about raceday, wondering if I'd forgotten anything for the car in preparation etc.) until my normal 4am bed time anyway and still be running on only 2-3 hours sleep.

For the last race I made a seriously conscious effort to not drink coffee or eat any sweets the Friday evening before and to get to bed by 11pm (which ended up being around midnight/not falling asleep until 1am LOL) and I finally had a very comfortable full night's sleep.
My lights improved dramatically that day.
Coincidence? I don't know, but I'll be following that path once again throughout this coming season.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Vetter 1
Some get that much sleep on the tree.
Got a good laugh out of that
Old 01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I don't know about sleep or not. IMO too much sleep makes you just as slow at the light as too little helps you redlight... However, I have found that a toss with my sweet wifey always helps my performance the next day!!! One way or another..

Shezzz... ya think you and she would mind if she helped me with my reaction times too.. ?? J/K repeat j/k

Sorry but you left yourself wide open to sick minds....

I'll apologize once again......

Last edited by jpee; 01-14-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Marc on nights when I fly the next morning, I try to go to bed 9ish and it is hard to sleep. Too early and work and flight stress. This week I was talking with the kids and Tylenol PM came up. I tried two and bam I was out within minutes of hitting the pillow.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Interesting topic. To be honest, I haven't found a real correlation between how am I on the tree and my sleeping habits. For about a year, I was working overnights and had a lot of trouble falling asleep early enough to get a "full night of sleep" for races. I only got 4-5 hours of sleep before the majority of my races in 2008 and I won Street Wars in March on literally 45 minutes of sleep. Thankfully this year I was able to get a more normal job around school and haven't had to worry about that.

Rob, I know exactly what you're talking about when you say your mind auto-focuses once you come around the wall. When I started bracket racing, I was just distracted all the time, and then about 2 years ago I suddenly started being able to focus much better. It seems to work the same when you're feeling sick. Last March I was dealing with some health issues and ran the first Street Wars when I probably should have stayed home. I kept away from everybody cause I didn't wanna make anyone sick. I was literally throwing up between rounds and feeling 100% once I came out from under the tower. I lost 4th round... .004 to Chuck Render's .014, his car ran the #.

Somewhere in this mess, my point is that we're all working off of our runs from that day, so if your body's natural timing is a little slower than usual, I think you subconsciously make minor changes to how you leave on the tree.

Get notified of new replies

To How sleep affect your reaction time

Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Marc on nights when I fly the next morning, I try to go to bed 9ish and it is hard to sleep. Too early and work and flight stress. This week I was talking with the kids and Tylenol PM came up. I tried two and bam I was out within minutes of hitting the pillow.
Yeah I'd imagine that factoring in airport/flight delay issues and possible time zone changes only makes matters worse.
I've tried some sleep aids in the past (Unisom, even an Ambien once) and they work well in putting me right to sleep but always left me in a groggy, almost hangover type state the next day which could of course only hurt concentration on the track as much as lack of sleep can.
Tylenol PM might be a better option though because I think it has more mild ingredients, I might look into it for those Friday nights where I just have to be asleep by a certain hour.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
... I made a seriously conscious effort to not drink coffee or eat any sweets the Friday evening before...
when I was racing twice a week, I eliminated caffeine all-together, and snacks/sweets after 6PM on any night before a race-day:
you wouldn't mix varying ratios of race-gas to pump-gas every week, so why do the same with your body?

I also had read where Gary Ormsby's crew-chief, Lee Beard, had access to former US Naval Aviator information, and it showed that a diet of pasta and/or chicken before a flight improved the way the brain, eyes, and limbs work in-conjunction with each-other, and Ormsby implemented this into his routine:
I ate a lotta chicken-parmesan in those days

I've had very-poor sleep patterns my entire life (you'll see me posting after midnight, and before dawn often), and I have learned to live with it:
my mind just can't unwind...

Beacuse I wanted to be able to function at my best regardless of my sleep, I would often use my practice tree whenever I couldn't sleep (any-wonder why my brain wouldn't slow down?), so I was just 'used' to being this way:
with some Forum-members I've spoken with off-line, I've suggested firing-up their practice tree when they first get outta bed, put on their shoes & socks, and cut a few lights before doing anything, including making coffee or draining the vein, as this may prepare you for-ANYTHING, at ANYTIME.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

who needs sleep, a few cans of red bull prior to the race, and i can go
0'20's or better all day in a race car

Quick Reply: How sleep affect your reaction time