Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

9.50 index rule suggestions and general smack talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Default 9.50 index rule suggestions and general smack talk thread

OK, here's my go on it.

As a sponsor of the event, I'm at all the events I can make, so I would like to see a full season, not five races. Plus there are few other people that would be new to the class that we are getting in the shop now that are going to want a full season too I would think.

I'm fine with it going to a 9.0 index, and would prefer that, but we can go off of a majority rule. I do not want to bump out any new guys that can run 9.5's, but not 9.0's.

If the .400 tree stays, then so does deep staging to equalise the heavier cars. No deep staging, .500 tree, which takes the car out of the R/T, and leaves it all driver.

All cars must be certed to run 9.99 or quicker.

3000lb weight requirement.

I don't care about head lights, windows, etc etc etc, just meet weight, the rest is just BS.

11 race series, same as the challenge and last season, unless you are in the points from day one, you cannot enter into the last three races unless you have been in two other races prior. This eliminates the stacking of the deck we saw this year. I doubt RP would go for that, but since there were little to no ethics towards the end of this season, some kind of rule needs to be in place.

Thats all I can think of at this time, I'm sure other things will come up as the discussion progresses.

Now just to make this perfectly clear, I am not interested in entering into a class were the biggest scum bag wins. I can call friends with eight second mid years to come and stack the deck too, thats not my idea of racing. I'm looking for clean racing, and may the best driver and car win. I respect the Competitive wiring team as racers, but frankly I dont believe a word you say, so the rules need to be cut and dry or forget it.

Hopefully we can keep the 9.5 class as tight racing, and friendly competition like the 10.5 and 11.5, after all this is supposed to be fun.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
tensecvet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
OK, here's my go on it.

As a sponsor of the event, I'm at all the events I can make, so I would like to see a full season, not five races. Plus there are few other people that would be new to the class that we are getting in the shop now that are going to want a full season too I would think.
this is a race in a race series. only 5 races will count for the teams. i do not care about the season championship
I'm fine with it going to a 9.0 index, and would prefer that, but we can go off of a majority rule. I do not want to bump out any new guys that can run 9.5's, but not 9.0's.
leave it at 9.50
If the .400 tree stays, then so does deep staging to equalise the heavier cars. No deep staging, .500 tree, which takes the car out of the R/T, and leaves it all driver.
.400 tree. deep stage is fine as long as autostart is on....on 2nd thought , why don't we just make it a foot race, no car.u just need a CORVETTE Tshirt u guys are miss led thinking r/t comes from a lite car
we agree
Shen is lite of 3000lbs but if you look at his lites , they are almost as bad as Jay's
I don't care about head lights, windows, etc etc etc, just meet weight, the rest is just BS.
we agree
11 race series, same as the challenge and last season, unless you are in the points from day one, you cannot enter into the last three races unless you have been in two other races prior. This eliminates the stacking of the deck we saw this year. I doubt RP would go for that, but since there were little to no ethics towards the end of this season, some kind of rule needs to be in place.
I am not running 11 weekends, not going to happen. You ,Jay, Dave vs Wayne , Dave ,Me . we pick 5 races in the 11 , we all can be there. if you keep wanting 11 races , for the TEAM races points, i'm out, sorry guys. i want it over in 3

Thats all I can think of at this time, I'm sure other things will come up as the discussion progresses.
no cry babys please
Now just to make this perfectly clear, I am not interested in entering into a class were the biggest scum bag wins. I can call friends with eight second mid years to come and stack the deck too, thats not my idea of racing. I'm looking for clean racing, and may the best driver and car win. I respect the Competitive wiring team as racers, but frankly I dont believe a word you say, so the rules need to be cut and dry or forget it.
why haven't you called all of your friends all of these years to race us.......We have more friends too. but lets keep it fair like u just said .... 3 vs 3 for a team championship, 5 races . all others are welcome to play in these 5 races also

Hopefully we can keep the 9.5 class as tight racing, and friendly competition like the 10.5 and 11.5, after all this is supposed to be fun.

just for fun & 1000 cookies
Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tensecvet

... u guys are miss led thinking r/t comes from a lite car
No prob on the bet... Cookies are good too.

I prefer 3,200 pounds min and am still well over that. It takes more torque to start moving my 800 extra lbs off the line - simple physics: Weight, among other factors, does effect R/T.

If all other things were equal, then how does weight matter? Well, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, F=M*A (Force = Mass times acceleration). It logically follows that as mass goes up, accelaration will decline. Force in this case equals torque.

So, maybe Sir Isaac Newton was misled, but I tend to believe him :-)

Last edited by digivex; 11-10-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Corrected my math - ooops, sorry
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
tensecvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digivex
No prob on the bet... Cookies are good too.

I prefer 3,200 pounds min and am still well over that. It takes more torque to start moving my 1600+ extra lbs off the line than a car that's 3/4 ton lighter - simple physics: Weight, among other factors, does effect R/T.

If all other things were equal, then how does weight matter? Well, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, F=M*A (Force = Mass times acceleration). It logically follows that as mass goes up, accelaration will decline. Force in this case equals torque.

So, maybe Sir Isaac Newton was misled, but I tend to believe him :-)
i thought we are are talking about drag racing and r/t....... What kind of car did Sir isaac newton race???.What were his r/ts...

Shen is about 2800lb & racing with us for years & years....change the rules to hurt him. Shen only needs less power to run the number. it does not help him with his lights . u should know that Dave better then anyone.....Shen has had the same motor in the car for over 5 years, no MAJOR mishaps.......longer i think.

if ur so heavy .... thats on u.....lose some lbs if thats all what it takes to kill the tree.....simple fix Dave. How heavy are u? 4300lbs by ur math....does SirIsaac tune your car too..... j/k no jabs.

just so you know i was at 3175lb easy, when we raced ...fact

let the guys have their say...... c where it goes
Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

.400 tree. deep stage is fine as long as autostart is on....on 2nd thought , why don't we just make it a foot race, no car.u just need a CORVETTE Tshirt u guys are miss led thinking r/t comes from a lite car
I'm lighter then you, I think I can run faster. I'm not saying a heavier car cannot RT fast, it just takes more power/converter/etc to make it do it then a lighter car. Remember, you guys have race cars, but this supposed to be a street class. So the field has to be equalised for a street car entering that cannot get out of the hole as fast as a lighter race car. I do not plan on deep staging, or anyone on our team that I know of, so no point in discussing any farther.

Shen is lite of 3000lbs but if you look at his lites , they are almost as bad as Jay's

your rough. I didnt know he was that light, well I certainly do not want to make him add weight, the thinking was more so we do not have 2600lb race cars showing up on these days that are not in the points etc. Again, to ensure a cut and dry rule. Maybe we agree on a "grand father clause" for an excisting racer?

I am not running 11 weekends, not going to happen. You ,Jay, Dave vs Wayne , Dave ,Me . we pick 5 races in the 11 , we all can be there. if you keep wanting 11 races , for the TEAM races points, i'm out, sorry guys. i want it over in 3
ok, we have time to figure that out.

why haven't you called all of your friends all of these years to race us.......We have more friends too. but lets keep it fair like u just said .... 3 vs 3 for a team championship, 5 races . all others are welcome to play in these 5 races also

I've asked several times, the pay out is to small, but I never approached them as a "can you do me a favor".

Exactly, If I cant go grab a beer with the guys I just raced with afterwards, I'll find other groups to race with.

Shen is about 2800lb & racing with us for years & years....change the rules to hurt him. Shen only needs less power to run the number. it does not help him with his lights . u should know that Dave better then anyone.....Shen has had the same motor in the car for over 5 years, no MAJOR mishaps.......longer i think.

No need to dig on his rod breaking, Jay had the same street car build in his car for five years too, Daves lasted 2-3 yrs, thats life. I dont look down on you for having a rocker break the other week.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 11-10-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tensecvet
i thought we are are talking about drag racing and r/t....... What kind of car did Sir isaac newton race???.What were his r/ts...
Sir Newton would have raced one of these:

It had two horsepower, but I heard every now and then his buddies would show up with 3 and 4 horse chariots to the track There were also rumors of some of the horses being given steroids, and being fed a strict diet of amphetamines and exotic foods, while pulling chariots that had no interiors, curtains or seats, and still being called "street" chariots... But I digress...

In all seriousness though, Dave is right; I am sure you realize if we take any car and start adding mass to it, it won't launch as quickly. This is actually true even if you add power to keep the power/weight ratio the same, though to a much lesser degree of course.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 11-10-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
DOUG @ ECS

I need to see formula's to believe you Sam.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to see formula's to believe you Sam.
Will a cartoon help?

http://teachertech.rice.edu/Particip...wton/law2.html

Sorry if my math were a bit off my my car weight. It was ~3600 lbs, running a 346 with a blower, against 2,800 lbs on a 383 with nitrous. It made top end strategy more interesting while putting a lot of strain on the little engine that could (and did).

I intend to keep my car "streetable" - So, there's no diet plan that will get me down to 2800 lbs.

Last edited by digivex; 11-10-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
uniquec5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy running in a heads up all out class so to me it would be nice not to have the 9.50 or the 9.0 index during the qtp 8.. If it is the same as this year I will be running the qtp pro 8.. Heads up is in my blood!!

Im fine with either one..

I like the 400pt or the 500pt.. NO deep staging!! (go but a trans with a trans break)

Agree

Dont agree.. Its index racing not heads up.. If your car runs the # then let it be.. We need more cars in the class..
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking, if you'll older than 50 your tree drops .200 before your opponents.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by uniquec5

I enjoy running in a heads up all out class so to me it would be nice not to have the 9.50 or the 9.0 index during the qtp 8.. If it is the same as this year I will be running the qtp pro 8.. Heads up is in my blood!!

Im fine with either one..

I like the 400pt or the 500pt.. NO deep staging!! (go but a trans with a trans break)

Agree

Dont agree.. Its index racing not heads up.. If your car runs the # then let it be.. We need more cars in the class..

Glad to see your input Sonnie, so if the two are still on the same days, are you out for the 9.50 then?

The only reason why I'm for deep staging is the equalising, again, I do not deep stage, but for street car that needs to to cut a light, it has to be fair, and it's tough to go deep on auto start.

This class will be won or lost at the tree most of the time since every car so far can run much faster then the index. I dont want to deter a foot braker since we need car count.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I'm thinking, if you'll older than 50 your tree drops .200 before your opponents.
Daymmmm ..... how much would I get.. I'm thinking if its enough I'll run my C6 & drive it to and from the track... but I need enough on the tree...

Remember I just had a birthday and am "Older Than Moses"
Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 PM
uniquec5
Drifting

Glad to see your input Sonnie, so if the two are still on the same days, are you out for the 9.50 then?

The only reason why I'm for deep staging is the equalising, again, I do not deep stage, but for street car that needs to to cut a light, it has to be fair, and it's tough to go deep on auto start.

This class will be won or lost at the tree most of the time since every car so far can run much faster then the index. I dont want to deter a foot braker since we need car count.
I will not race the 9.50 I will only run the qtp 8 if they are on the same day..

As it goes for deep staging.. I understand your point.. But If the racer is putting money in there car to make it a reliable 9.50 car then why would they not spend a hundred dollars or so to put a trans break in there car??

Last edited by uniquec5; 11-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 PM
tensecvet
Burning Brakes

Sir Doug
so ur saying. u win the battle at the tree, it helps ur odds of winning greatly .
noooo shhit
Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Exactly, If I cant go grab a beer with the guys I just raced with afterwards, I'll find other groups to race with.
That's key right there.
Ellis, Tommy, Farley and Shay kicked my *** all over that track all season yet all of us (plus Doug and Steve) went straight to Friday's together after the race last Saturday.

I wonder if we'd all still go out afterwards if I eventually beat them someday?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's key right there.
Ellis, Tommy, Farley and Shay kicked my *** all over that track all season yet all of us (plus Doug and Steve) went straight to Friday's together after the race last Saturday.

I didn't get invited. Wait I don't run 11.50s.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetter 1
I didn't get invited. Wait I don't run 11.50s.
You had already left otherwise you would've been.
Doug B was there and he doesn't run the Pro classes either.

Get notified of new replies

To 9.50 index rule suggestions and general smack talk thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM
tomdcarguy
Pro

Location: A.M.R. Pound for Pound-Fastest Stock Bottom LS1 9.1x 10psi

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's key right there.

....If your buying.... .. I only had time for 1, but the win/loss factor is left at the track... Ask Edgar...over the years of the CC.. most of the restructuring was designed on bar napkins
Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Well the powers that be informed me that the 9.50 lost it's title sponsor, so as far as I see it, this class is done.

Time to look for other classes to run, hopefully they do not conflict with CC days.

Sonnie, the EFI heads up class is cool, but the problem I see with it is that next season it wont be heads up, it will be an 8.50 index class. Unless you plan on making your car 7.50 legal (which I do not at this time) the track is going to limit us. I'm sure your new combo will run better then 8.50, I'm confident mine will, Jay can in good weather, and the outcome will be a pissed off RP. It's like going back to the early days of the pro 8 again, which was fun then, but not again.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And besides that, I dought RP with even have the EFI quick 8 class next year.

Quick Reply: 9.50 index rule suggestions and general smack talk thread