Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

PINKS ALL OUT is HISTORY

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PINKS ALL OUT is HISTORY

I guess the rumors were true.

SPEED announced today that grassroots drag-racing television show, PINKS All Out, is taking a hiatus from producing new episodes for 2011.

The most recent episode shot at Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix, which premieres in February, represents the 43rd produced since its inception at the Texas Motorplex during Labor Day Weekend of 2006. The PINKS property has been on SPEED since July 2005, starting with PINKS, and extending to PINKS All Out and PINKS All Outtakes.

“PINKS All Out has been one of the most successful television shows in network history,” said Hunter Nickell, SPEED President. “SPEED would like to thank all the dedicated fans, grassroots racers, track management, the on-air team, Pullin Television and its production crew, SPEED affiliates and all the show’s sponsors over the past four seasons for their support; we couldn’t be more thankful to everyone who’s been associated with the show.

“However, after visiting 34 drag strips in four seasons of production throughout the United States, the network feels the current show model needs further evaluation to determine what new direction we want to take the property,” Nickell added. “The PINKS brand has equity within the drag-racing community, especially at the grassroots level. It’s our hope to continue developing quality grassroots motor sports programming out of what everyone has built with PINKS. It’s a process we are currently undertaking.”
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I know there was a lot of controversy over this series, Yes Rick can be a tool but look at what he did for the sport, where for a $60.00 entry fee could you race with a chance of over $10,000. and not beat the car to death, that was important to me racing on a very limited budget. I made 4 events Memphis 09, and Virgina, Zmax and Bristol this year and had a great time. Let hope Speed and Rich work out their differences I feel the show still has life in it but need the TV exposure to be successful. One can only hope.....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Vettekid1992
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank goddd that show was getting way tooo Hollywood!!!!!!! :will y:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

I only saw a couple episodes. The racing was great, didn't care much for all the drama.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pinks brought money to places where they raced and with this economy everyone needed it. Including E-town.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

There has to be more to this story. Like Rich and Speed not getting along or something. They say it is the most popular show in the history of SpeedTV, and they cancel it.

Once the no compete agreement or what ever deal they made with Rich/Pullin ent. is over, I bet you'll see it return with a lot more SpeedTV input.

I like the show - the drama, not so much, but it's part of the show. I sure wish I had been able to get tickets for Maple Grove this year...

Mackey is right. Where else can you pay that little for a chance at so much in front of those crowds. The concept is solid, they need to just revamp it a bit.

I liked the Arm Drop Live format too, but that only lasted one year. I guess sponsors really would rather be on tv, than on billboards.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

[QUOTE=Capthuff;1576138720]There has to be more to this story. Like Rich and Speed not getting along or something. They say it is the most popular show in the history of SpeedTV, and they cancel it.

Once the no compete agreement or what ever deal they made with Rich/Pullin ent. is over, I bet you'll see it return with a lot more SpeedTV input.

QUOTE]
The feud between Rich/Speed/Pullin was not a secret. I guess what why Rich's new show will be on Spike. Looks like Pass Time is done also.
Look for PAO to return in some for in 2012/2013...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

sounds like a rebirth is in the making and they are just taking a year off
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by REDGAR
sounds like a rebirth is in the making and they are just taking a year off
Whats going to be called "Afterbirth"??
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettekid1992
thank goddd that show was getting way tooo Hollywood!!!!!!! :will y:
Pinks was a show, not real racing. Cars were picked subjectively, and with a 4 tenths or half second spread, the faster car or the sandbagger usually won the toolbox.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

The show did to drag racing what Fast and the furious did to nitrous sales, a huge spike brought on by people who dont really know the sport. Regardless though, it was a major help to drag racing as a whole, which has been consistently dying off over the years, so I hope to see it back without Rich or arm dropping.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
The show did to drag racing what Fast and the furious did to nitrous sales, a huge spike brought on by people who dont really know the sport. Regardless though, it was a major help to drag racing as a whole, which has been consistently dying off over the years, so I hope to see it back without Rich or arm dropping.
best summary of Pinks in general I've read

PASSTIME is a good show, and one of Chicken Man's better ideas (though I'm biased there)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I actually like the arm drop aspect of it.

We, as racers, know what all the bulbs mean - pre-stage, stage, etc and undrstand what a pro tree is.

The general public (the fans and advertisers) have no idea. But everyone understands what an arm drop means.

I, too, like PassTime
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i loved the original pinks but they needed some sort of adjustment as some guys clearly outclassed their opponent and Rich being clearly a non car guy was totally clueless...pinks all out the going too fast aspect while good that needed some adjustment everybody that races knows how much et and mph can and does change when other variables change wind temp, oil downs to name a few
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by K RIPPER
i loved the original pinks but they needed some sort of adjustment as some guys clearly outclassed their opponent and Rich being clearly a non car guy was totally clueless...pinks all out the going too fast aspect while good that needed some adjustment everybody that races knows how much et and mph can and does change when other variables change wind temp, oil downs to name a few
The original Pink was cancelled because it was considered gambling a and fewer and fewer tracked would allow it after the were warned with prosecution. Same thing happened at PAO that's why betting was eliminated this season. The running too fast in most cases guys picked up more than .2 before they were eliminated....
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

One episode I remember the guy lost for supposedly running too fast, but the MOV couldn't have been more than .05 or so since the win was less than a car length. Seems like the show would do anything to make sure the best of 3 final went 3 rounds.

That said, I do realize the show was made to appeal to the broader public.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
larry00
Race Director

As in heads up racing anywhere the most consistent fastest cars are going to be in the finals.

Hot lapping Drag Cars Means Some modifications to most Sportsman Cars.
My Monte Carlo has to get another battery as it doesn't have Alternator and everything is electric [ fans and WP ] .

I was building two cars as a occasional weekend warrior for fun and Pinks All Out so I guess this season I will have plenty of time to make them consistent .
My Son is going to be really disappointed because since he is the best leaver he always gets the nod for money races !

D/FW area is home to 7 tracks and some serious gearheads and the PAO series was really popular.
Last two years entry's were limited with twice as many trying to get in than they could use !

It will be back ! To make it legal the winner could sell his time slip as a commemorative item.
There are ways around everything !

I like Pass Time as well cause it helps teach you to judge the compatition for those occasional grudge matches late on a Fri Night at the track !
Eh in racing ! It's all good !

Get notified of new replies

To PINKS ALL OUT is HISTORY

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
best summary of Pinks in general I've read

PASSTIME is a good show, and one of Chicken Man's better ideas (though I'm biased there)
Pass Time was a good show too, thanks.

Originally Posted by Capthuff
I actually like the arm drop aspect of it.

We, as racers, know what all the bulbs mean - pre-stage, stage, etc and undrstand what a pro tree is.

The general public (the fans and advertisers) have no idea. But everyone understands what an arm drop means.

I, too, like PassTime

Good point, I guess I never looked at it that way, and I bet you do like Pass time!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
redvette1077
Racer

Default Pinks passing

Lots of controversy, lots of input, but the greatest night of Paul Jrs and my racing experience so far for for 12 years of P98 Racing was May 10th 2008 when Jr won Pinks All Out in Atlanta. We competed in 8 events and were picked in 4. We will miss the event, the fans, the other racers, we won't miss Rich. From what we have picked up all of this including Unleashed is going to come out under a format to be announced shortly.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Bill Wilson
Pro

I made one PAO event and two of Rich's Arm Drop events before they went by the way side. I was told the Arm Drop event, while bringing big crowds to several tracks, was dropped after about a year because its format didn't make for a good TV production. That was too bad as I and several of the guys I went with to the events really had a good time. Since I run a high-11 second Corvette I was pretty sure my grouping would not be picked for the final grouping of 32 and I wasn't. But the PAO I attended was a good time and I met several racers that I still go racing with today. I hope Paul Sr. is right and the PAO does come back as I believe any event that shows Drag Racing in a positive light is good for all of us. As for the Un-Leashed series I do hope it returns as I plan on making the 2011 event if the series returns to Atlanta.

Quick Reply: PINKS ALL OUT is HISTORY