Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

GTO spares.. What tire? Radial or bias ply

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
NEMESISVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO spares.. What tire? Radial or bias ply

I guess title says it.. lol. Im going to run M&H or Hoosiers on the back and not sure what to do with the GTO spares up front. I see M&H makes a radial and bias ply sizes that fit the GTO spare. Is the radial dangerous with Hoosier at the track? What are you guys running for front tires on these GTO spares?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NEMESISVETTE
Is the radial dangerous with Hoosier at the track?
No, it shouldn't be. Some will say to never mix bias plies in the rear with radials in the front but I think that mostly applies to those trying to run 'full size/full width' front tires, not skinnies.
Lots of guys run the M&H or even the M/T 18" radials up front with bias plies on the back.

Hoosier also makes one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-19055/
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I have M&H skinnys and M/T drag radials. I havent taken it to the track yet, but from what ive seen from others, it should work just fine.

I'll report back a week from tonight.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

From what I have heard the radial handles much, much better on the street if your driving to the track. They also wear much better. The bias ply is slightly cheaper and about 7 lbs. lighter per tire. As started above you really shouldn't have an issue with mixing the tires. I am planning on getting the radial because of the road handling and I'm betting on MT releasing an ET Street Pro in a 17" size in the next year or so.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EVL JAKE
From what I have heard the radial handles much, much better on the street if your driving to the track. They also wear much better.
As started above you really shouldn't have an issue with mixing the tires. I am planning on getting the radial because of the road handling and I'm betting on MT releasing an ET Street Pro in a 17" size in the next year or so.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I'm running the stock radial tires that are standard on the GTO spares. There has been zero problems at the track or driving them to and from the track. Many of us are running this stock tire with MT street radials and or Hoosier Drag radials in the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To GTO spares.. What tire? Radial or bias ply

Quick Reply: GTO spares.. What tire? Radial or bias ply