Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

C5 Drag Guys- Trailer Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default C5 Drag Guys- Trailer Recommendation

I am planning to stop pushing my luck on driving to and from the track. I would appreciate Forum recommendations for trailers (enclosed or open) for a C5. Tow vehicle will be a 2008 Escalade.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
DBN
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

BRI-MAR open trailer for me.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My trailer is cheap, but it's light and I love it. They make them to spec so you can get low fenders and a lower ride hight. Your C5 will drive right on to it and both doors will open. They will even deliver it for free. Again, not the prettiest or best but mines been flawless to date. Also, I pull it with an 08 Denali, so your Escalade will have no issues.
http://www.econotrailer.com/
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
My trailer is cheap, but it's light and I love it. They make them to spec so you can get low fenders and a lower ride hight. Your C5 will drive right on to it and both doors will open. They will even deliver it for free. Again, not the prettiest or best but mines been flawless to date. Also, I pull it with an 08 Denali, so your Escalade will have no issues.
http://www.econotrailer.com/

Have the same one and love opening my door without removing the fender or having to climbing out..
Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/open%20car%20haulers

or

http://www.fthr.com/bumper-pull-car-...0-car-trailer/
Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I am planning to stop pushing my luck on driving to and from the track. I would appreciate Forum recommendations for trailers (enclosed or open) for a C5. Tow vehicle will be a 2008 Escalade.

Thanks in advance.
PM sent Jim with regard to the Econo Trailer, which could be an option if you are interested in an open car hauler.

It tracks straight and true, and at $2249.00, brand new, you can save $150.00 by picking it up yourself and paying cash. The price is tough to beat for what you get with it, brakes on both axles, etc. And as already mentioned, you can open your car doors past the fenders on it. Open deck will allow you access to underneath the car if need be to change oil, etc.

http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html

A couple of people on this forum use it, and turned me on to it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...-for-sale.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...o-trailer.html

After buying one, I just had a winch mount welded to mine.

The winch is bolted to the winch tray, so removal of the whole assembly is easy if you don't want to leave the winch out in the weather or don't want to make it a target for theft.

Plugged into the receiver tube.

It's not going anywhere. The solid steel brick welded to the tongue of the trailer is not going to move.

Now I need a spot to mount the battery.

I have a tow hook mounted to the frame of my car, which you can see in the picture, but here I'm using a 6ft nylon V bridle hooked into the front frame holes where you would typically place jacking pucks, to load the car onto the trailer.

I tow mine with my 2011 Ford F150. I don't know the towing capabilities of your 2008 Escalade, but I'm betting you are going to want to stay as light as you can, which is another advantage of the open deck.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-19-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

nice winch setup
Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDGAR
nice winch setup
Thanks REDGAR.

Hardest thing to figure out.

Had to determine how high the winch needed to be up and off the trailer to avoid having the cable drag across the axles and the rear angle iron of the trailer, which would lead to the cable sawing into both and fraying the cable in the process, when the car was being pulled on.

The 4 1/2 thickness of the solid steel brick mount plus the receiver tube welded to the top of it, and I'm at just the right height to avoid having the cable contact the trailer at any point during loading the car. It's just high enough to allow the cable to clear everything, but if I had it do do over again, I'd go with a 5 1/2 inch steel brick, as I have less than an inch of clearance between the cable and the last bend of channel iron near the dovetail of the trailer when the car is being pulled onto the trailer..

But I have to say, it took some measuring, and "trial runs" with the car on the pavement and at the ends of the ramps and the cable free spooled back to the car, to get it right.

Doing this also changed the tongue weight of the trailer with the car on it, so that now I don't need to pull the car quite as far forward to balance the load onto the trailer.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an 18' open aluminum trailer. Works great for both the C5 and C6.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

I strongly suggest an open center on a open trailer. This way you can view or work under the car. Also make sure the fenders are low enough to open the doors or you need to modify the trailer.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But an open trailer can only be used for a car. If you get the full deck, you can use the trailer for other things like moving furniture, picking up large packages at stores, yard waste, etc..

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE
I strongly suggest an open center on a open trailer. This way you can view or work under the car. Also make sure the fenders are low enough to open the doors or you need to modify the trailer.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
But an open trailer can only be used for a car. If you get the full deck, you can use the trailer for other things like moving furniture, picking up large packages at stores, yard waste, etc..
ATVs, snowblowers, lawn tractors, and other motorized vehicles with a narrower wheel base than a car can also be hauled on the full deck, so there is big advantage if you think you're going to be hauling that kind of stuff.

Almost anything that won't fit into, or that you don't want to put into the bed of your truck, or into the back of your SUV if your tow vehicle is an SUV, can be put on that full deck.

But the full deck comes at a weight penalty if all else is equal in terms of other features when comparing trailers, and full decks usually cost more as well all else equal.

Plus, some of the things you mention above, and stuff like plywood, dry wall and things that will go across the open part of the deck, can possibly still be secured and hauled on an open deck trailer in a pinch.

But you are right in that the full deck is much more versatile when it comes to hauling a wide variety of other stuff.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

HYDRAULIC TILT-BED CAR HAULER as shown in this link
http://www.ssitrailers.com/html/car.html

I have used this to move heavy safes to working on the car with the tilt engaged, etc..
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle
HYDRAULIC TILT-BED CAR HAULER as shown in this link
http://www.ssitrailers.com/html/car.html

I have used this to move heavy safes to working on the car with the tilt engaged, etc..
That is a cool trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Drag Guys- Trailer Recommendation

Quick Reply: C5 Drag Guys- Trailer Recommendation