Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

06+ C6 rear end strength...how fragile is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I've got a stock Z51 MZ6 trans in mine, with the 2.97 first gear. I believe that tall gear and my 4.10's is how I have 494 passes on my OE clutch and how I can get the 1.4's. I broke the third gear blocker ring at least once... I have the broken one in my console, maybe twice. I stopped shifting super fast after I broke the second one.

Your choice of a 6060 is a good one indeed. If you were planning to drag race a lot I'd encourage the Grand Sport 2.97 first gear and 4.10's unless you plan to go over 500 hp...then 3.90's would be better as you'll be better than 130 in the traps and 6800 redline with 4.10's is about 132 or so with 315-35-17 tires that are about 25" high or so.

Since you are primarily road course, you'll save some money (a lot actually) with the 3.42's and they are great for road course in my opinion. 4.10's are fine too in my experience but I'm not much of a road course guy.

6060 with Zr1 is one stout setup...how much power to you plan to put down? Z06 stuff is VERY stout and I'd have to guess a lot cheaper (and more common), I've never heard of people breaking them, but I have been out of the loop for a bit. Now you can get 4.10's for them, my buddy Craigster05 just got them in his z06. A z06 setup with 4.10's and a 2.97 6060 would make a bullet proof set up that would be a blast on street, strip or track. The 4.10's really make the car feel quick, you should drive one before you buy if you can. It makes a nice difference in feel every time you drive the car even when you're just putting around, it makes it feel so snappy.

There’s no doubt that makes the clutchs life WAY easier

I’m hoping to make 650-700rwhp once I’m all done with the valve train, custom headers, and custom methanol injection setup.

So your diff is an ’06-’08 model? Any mods you did to your diff besides changing the gearing?
In any case, that thing has REALLY been a champ for you whatever it is!!

Last edited by HC Mechanic; 06-15-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
There’s no doubt that makes the clutchs life WAY easier

I’m hoping to make 650-700rwhp once I’m all done with the valve train, custom headers, and custom methanol injection setup. I have thought about just using my t56 and putting Z06 gears in it, and running a bigger diff as it would save a ton of coin. But the ZR1 ratios are really tempting to me..

So your diff is an ’06-’08 model? Any mods you did to your diff besides changing the gearing?
In any case, that thing has REALLY been a champ for you whatever it is!!
I am running a c5 rear diff after I blew my 05 diff with 3.90 gears (on my 301st drag strip pass by the way, and it happened when I shifted to second, the pinion came out the back of the case). The c5 diff has held me for all the 10 second passes that came later after I put heads on. ECS used to make a mount out of a c3 trans mount with ears welded on. I don't think they do anymore. 06+ was expensive when I broke mine and my solution was a lot cheaper.

Your 05 rear and MN6 is not made of glass, I got 300 passes out of mine. Stuff holds up like a champ until you get to about 450 rwhp in my experience and observation, then stuff breaks. But, on the road course, stuff doesn't break. I would recommend a diff cooler for the road course, I have a diff and trans temp gauge in mine and the diff gets hot, up to 280 after 20 minutes or so. The trans stays at 225 or so, along with my oil, as my z51 has factory trans and oil coolers but not diff. Z06 came with a diff cooler.
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I am running a c5 rear diff after I blew my 05 diff with 3.90 gears (on my 301st drag strip pass by the way, and it happened when I shifted to second, the pinion came out the back of the case). The c5 diff has held me for all the 10 second passes that came later after I put heads on. ECS used to make a mount out of a c3 trans mount with ears welded on. I don't think they do anymore. 06+ was expensive when I broke mine and my solution was a lot cheaper.

Your 05 rear and MN6 is not made of glass, I got 300 passes out of mine. Stuff holds up like a champ until you get to about 450 rwhp in my experience and observation, then stuff breaks. But, on the road course, stuff doesn't break. I would recommend a diff cooler for the road course, I have a diff and trans temp gauge in mine and the diff gets hot, up to 280 after 20 minutes or so. The trans stays at 225 or so, along with my oil, as my z51 has factory trans and oil coolers but not diff. Z06 came with a diff cooler.

Thanks Joe, that makes a lot of sense! I’m going to look into some differential coolers
Old 11-10-2023, 04:03 PM
Freshiano
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
You already have the TR6060 with 30 spline main shaft and your differential is no different than a C6 Z06. At your power level, it won't hurt anything. Give it all you got.
this is false.. it is not 30 spline stock for a base, it is 27 spline and different ring and pinion on the differential

Quick Reply: 06+ C6 rear end strength...how fragile is it really?