Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Line lock issues. A little help please

Old 06-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Line lock issues. A little help please

So I ordered this line lock kit: http://www.fastbirdperf.com/C6/C6LL.htm

The new lines were perfectly formed and it made for a very easy install.

I bled the brakes manually then went to a friends house that has a Tech 2 computer and we used it to go through the automated bled process that shuttered ABS values...

And after all of that the line lock will barely hold the car still at idle. If I just barely touch the throttle it pushes through the brakes and they don't hold at all.

So I added new brake pads and had the glaze surfaced off of the rotors.

And then I got the same results. It only holds at idle.

So I contacted Summit Racing. They make the solenoid that comes in the kit. I ordered another solenoid, installed it, bled the brakes again, and used the Tech 2 to do the automatic brake bled.

And it still does the same thing. It will only hold at idle.

Have a gotten two bad solenoids? What is up with this thing?

And I have a 3600 rmp stall converter. And if I hold down the brake peddle (locking front and back brakes) I can stall it up to 2,000 rpm's.

Any ideas are welcome.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had to pump the brakes two or three times to bring up the pressure in the lines, then hold the pedal down hard, then press the line lock button , then release the brake pedal and do my burnout...I don't know how you are doing it...
Old 06-08-2015, 04:06 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I had to pump the brakes two or three times to bring up the pressure in the lines, then hold the pedal down hard, then press the line lock button , then release the brake pedal and do my burnout...I don't know how you are doing it...
I agree this is the correct way to use a line loc--good luck
Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I do exactly the same, always give it a few pumps then hold and hit the button.

OP are you pumping it before you hit the button?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I do exactly the same, always give it a few pumps then hold and hit the button.

OP are you pumping it before you hit the button?
I can pump it up and it helps a little. I can even pump it up after hitting the button and that helps a little too.

Still the brakes don't hold and it just rolls through.

The S-10 tube chassis car that I drive also uses a line lock. I hit the brakes once then hold the button down. It holds the brakes hard enough that the only way the car will move is to skid the front tires across the ground.

I am wondering if the anti-lock brake system is letting pressure bleed back through or if a reported by-pass value in the Summit solenoid is letting pressure bleed through.

I unplugged the fuss in the ABS system to shut it off, but that didn't help either.

Anyone ever install two solenoids with each one being after the anti-lock brake system?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Surely a dumb question but are you sure you installed it in the right brake line, which is the rear line from the master cylinder? At least that's the correct line on my 05...

One the solenoid is set you shouldn't be able to pump any more pressure in the system.

Last edited by Joe_G; 06-08-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Surely a dumb question but are you sure you installed it in the right brake line, which is the rear line from the master cylinder? At least that's the correct line on my 05...

One the solenoid is set you shouldn't be able to pump any more pressure in the system.
Yep, I installed it on the rear line from the master cylinder.

And I have the in's and out's correct on the line lock.

Someone reported a by-pass value in this model that allows pressure to be added even after it is locked. I read it in a thread about the Summit solenoid, but I have not opened one up to confirm that.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Have you tried jacking up the front end, applying the line lock and seeing if both tires are locked?

Sounds to me like only one side is. I may be off base but I thought I read at some point the left and right sides are fed from different circuits, so the LF is linked to the RR circuit.

I might be wrong on this but have you ever checked to see that both are locked?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Have you tried jacking up the front end, applying the line lock and seeing if both tires are locked?

Sounds to me like only one side is. I may be off base but I thought I read at some point the left and right sides are fed from different circuits, so the LF is linked to the RR circuit.

I might be wrong on this but have you ever checked to see that both are locked?
I'll try to jack it up tomorrow and see if the problem is with both sides or not.

Thanks for brain storming with me. It is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

My pleasure Danny...I like trying to figure things out.

The line lock is usually so reliable, I'm a bit at a loss here.

Just to be clear your not skidding the tires through the lights are you? Sounds like you are rolling through but wanted to be sure.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

What year is your car? I remembered a thread on problems a while back...here it is, doesn't sound like the same problem however.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-be-easy.html
Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Just to be clear your not skidding the tires through the lights are you? Sounds like you are rolling through but wanted to be sure.
The brakes won't lock up. They easily let the car roll forward. I can just barely touch the gas peddle and it rolls forward.

What year is your car? I remembered a thread on problems a while back...here it is, doesn't sound like the same problem however.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-be-easy.html
Mine is a 2006 with a Grand Sport body. We chatted in this thread last year.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-tires-2.html

Last edited by Danny Richie; 06-08-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
Mine is a 2006 with a Grand Sport body. We chatted in this thread last year.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-tires-2.html
Ahh yes I thought your car looked familiar. And very nice I must say.

Your line lock should be working. Let's see what happens with the test if both fronts are locked...and meanwhile, maybe someone smarter than me will pipe up with a bright idea on this problem.

Did you call the vendor you bought it from to see what they say? Perhaps they have heard of this before.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Ahh yes I thought your car looked familiar. And very nice I must say.

Your line lock should be working. Let's see what happens with the test if both fronts are locked...and meanwhile, maybe someone smarter than me will pipe up with a bright idea on this problem.

Did you call the vendor you bought it from to see what they say? Perhaps they have heard of this before.
I called Summit about their solenoid. They have had some issues with them and thought it was the problem. That got me to trying a second one. Surely I didn't get two bad ones...
Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I called Summit about their solenoid. They have had some issues with them and thought it was the problem. That got me to trying a second one. Surely I didn't get two bad ones...
Given your symptoms, I think that is the most likely issue..these are simple devices..when they work!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

The tech at Summit says that my car is seeing the RMP rise and brake pressure high at the ABS but with the brake peddle not down and the computer is over riding it and opening the dump valve in the ABS.

It sounds like I am going to have to use a solenoid at each wheel to make this work properly. I have tried everything else. Maybe the tech is correct.

But it looks like everyone installs them before the anti-lock brakes and several kits come that way.

Still stumped....

Last edited by Danny Richie; 06-16-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

The tech at Summit says that my car is seeing the RMP rise and brake pressure high at the ABS but with the brake peddle not down and the computer is over riding it and opening the dump valve in the ABS.

Looks like I am going to have to use a solenoid at each wheel to make this work properly.

I have tried everything else. I have a strong feeling the tech is correct.
That's not correct. I'm not an ABS expert but there are thousands of us with simple line locks on our Vettes with no problem and there's just no way this is true.

Silly question...you didn't install the solenoid backwards by mistake did you? I can't remember if it's directional, but, if it is, I think this would cause your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Line lock issues. A little help please

Old 06-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

That's not correct. I'm not an ABS expert but there are thousands of us with simple line locks on our Vettes with no problem and there's just no way this is true.

Silly question...you didn't install the solenoid backwards by mistake did you? I can't remember if it's directional, but, if it is, I think this would cause your problem.
Yep, I know there are lots of them out there. The extremely helpful owner of Fastbird Performance has a lot of them out there as well. His kit was really nice too. All the lines were perfectly shaped and pretty easy to install.

I have triple and quadruple checked the in and out lines on the solenoid. But thanks for asking.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yep, I know there are lots of them out there. The extremely helpful owner of Fastbird Performance has a lot of them out there as well. His kit was really nice too. All the lines were perfectly shaped and pretty easy to install.

I have triple and quadruple checked the in and out lines on the solenoid. But thanks for asking.
Any chance the sticker in/out was put on wrong?

I'm just stumped here like you but I'm not buying the need for a separate solenoid on each front line.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Any chance the sticker in/out was put on wrong?

I'm just stumped here like you but I'm not buying the need for a separate solenoid on each front line.
I checked the instructions that came with the kit and the instructions from Summit on their solenoid. In's and out's are in agreement and correct.

I also just jacked up the car and checked each wheel. The line lock does lock the front brakes hard enough that I can't turn either wheel by hand.

And the line lock will hold the car up to about 1,200 rpm's then it pushes through the front brakes and the wheels are allowed to turn. Even on my slick garage floor the front tires do not skid across it when it pushes the car forward. It rolls through the brakes and turns the wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Line lock issues. A little help please