Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Bringing in the New Year right....

Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Bringing in the New Year right....

with a ton of drag racing!...

I raced the New Years Nationals at South Georgia Motorsports Park last weekend...what a blast...I made 13 passes in two days so this will be a bit long...

I hit the road on Thursday morning for Adel, Ga....got there at 2PM unloaded the race car and went to the motel...came back to the track for the new years eve party at 5PM...cooked on the grill for a couple of hours helping out...the weather was lousy, raining pretty good...none the less a ton of folks showed up and we had a ball...20' screen to watch the bowl games, great food and much, much more all courtesy of Rob and Tony......sweet!...

Friday the rain was in and out but they kept trying to dry the track...finally at 2PM we lined up for the first $5 grander...I was third car back for my one time shot and after my burn out the rain came again.....sheesh!...they decided to re-dry one more time and have open time runs at 5PM...I put my stuff up and went visiting the gazillion cars that showed up...btw, for a brand new event they ended up with over 380 cars, not entries, cars...holy macaroni!...

So, it is Friday night and they are having a pit vehicle race...was to be $500 to win but there are so many entries (110) they up it to $800 to win+++...I put "Cheers to the New Year" banners on the sides of my scooter, tape a white feathers and sparkles Happy new year thingy on top of my helmet and wear giant sparkly 2016 glasses to run this race...yes, I am a goofball...

The race is to the 330' mark and on my first time shot I forget to look up at my time...oops...we get a second time shot so I look up and I see my time...OK, it is time to dial my helmet but wait....what the heck did I run again?...crappola, I cannot recall...damn CRS disease...lol...I seem to remember a 65 so I put 16.65...yeah, that sounds right...I am so ready to go...I get an electric golf cart and we are off...well, at least I am...he is tied to a stump so I am honking my horn and having a ball...I go through the finish but his win light comes on...what you say?...I look back and he hasn't even left the starting line yet...

Turns out his parking brake was stuck and he kept whacking it with his foot to no avail...LMAO...it now occurred to me what I had run in the second time shot...it was 11.65 so I was only holding 50 numbers...holy guacamole!!!...what a dufus...my sides hurt from laughing so much...I went through in 12 something, btw...

It was decided to run two $5 granders back to back on Saturday...the day dawned bright but chilly as the front came through...the Yankees were walking around in shorts and us Florida folk were wearing every bit of clothing we could fine and mechanics gloves for warmth...I looked like the Pillsbury doughboy with a long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, sweathoody and fire jacket on...yes, it was 48 degrees....lol...

To me it was our version of Joisey air and my first time shot I went 6.79 a new best, one of many it turned out...I got a second because I was double entered...I went 6.77 on that one...the question is: how do you dial a personal best?...the answer is you don't...unless you have a crystal ball...the DA was -400 which was unknown territory for us southern folk...lol...

Some of y'all may have watched on MMTV but now you will know what really happened...sometimes it is different than it looked...

First round I get an S Dime dialed 7.54...I dial 6.78 on a guess...he trees me but something went wrong for him and I coast to a win...I'll take it...I have to come right back to the lanes without stopping for my second entry...damn if I don't get a good friend in his 62 chevy twice...he dials 7.01 to my 6.77...my 330' on the previous run was a new best of 4.32...I had a 4.34 on my 6.77 time shot so I think I am holding something, who knows what...I tree him and am ripping at the finish line...yikes!, I break out going 6.768...two lousy thou...grrrr...another new best and whomping at that...

I decide to make the walk of shame and buy back my second entry...they run all the buy backs against each other so off I go...I catch a mustang dialed 7.37 and I put 6.76 on my window...I'll probably go 75 for goodness sakes...anyway, he leaves good with an .011 tree but wait, there's more....I get him with a .009 and whomping take him through FTW...I am back into round two with both entries...cool...

I line up my first entry in round two with...here we go...the same white chevy deuce of my buddy...he dials 7.07, holding ya think?...I dial 6.77 he he...I spin on the hit and it is o ver...I run it out hoping to push him but no chance....I run dead on 9 but only because I spun...probly did not look that way on MMTV...

I come back around for my second entry and catch a guy dialed 7.86...I leave 77 on mine, why not...I tree him slightly and park it to go dead 4 for the win...on to round three with one entry at least...

They call us up for the third round...this is where the round money starts with a win...50 bucks...woot!...I pull up and...yup...I get the white 62 chevy of my buddy again...good grief!...he dials 7.03 to my 6.76...my car is not wanting to idle and I know something is not right...I launch and it seems sluggish...I run 6.79 out the back door for the loss...I cannot make it off the track...car dies just before the turn off...dead battery...I get it to start one more time and make it back to the pits...this was my fault since I should have charged it sooner...I run an alternator but it obviously could not keep up with all the runs and the cold air...oh well, live and learn...it is now 9pm and they have announced there is no time for the second race so we will race tomorrow for $10 grand to win, everything is doubled...wow!...I am off for a late supper and a welcome bed...

Sunday morning and it is chilly...40* at 8AM...Man o Manischewitz, I'm ffffffreezing....OK, I fully charged my battery last night and she sounds like a real race car now...I am ready to rock and roll for 10 grand...they call us up for first round and who do I pull up next to...you got it so all I'll say is it's a white car...qwap!...he dials 7.03 to my 6.76...we are off and it is real close....too close for him...he takes the stripe by .005 running 3 under...I go through dead on with a 5...I was .015 on the tree and got him there...my turn you little deuce box...lol...

I come around for entry two and get a guy I beat in the semi's at Savannah last year...he remembers and I won't repeat what he said...I promptly told him I just won with a 20 pack...he he he....he dials 6.79 and I leave 76 on my glass...over at the tree...I am .007 and go dead 3 for a 10 pack...see ya my friend...into round two with both entries...

Round two and I pull up on a nice nova called Julio's Joy...he dials 6.52 to my 6.76....hey, it's working so far...I leave and he is not catching me...I go to the whomp fest for the win...no wonder as I am .006 on the tree....no joy for Julio and my whip is running good...

I come back around and, hard to believe but, one more time it is the white chebby...5 times, would you believe it...we are both double entered which is how this happens sometimes...anyway, he dials 7.02 to my 6.76...I am ready for him this time...or so I thought...I am dead late with a .075 and it is over...where in the heck did that come from?...

I am in round three with one entry and they call us up...there are like 2 cars in the left staging and 20 in the right...I get a newer mustang and since he is in line ahead of me he gets lane choice...just luck is all...no biggie so I go over to the left lane...I am ready and dialed 6.75 based on my previous 330' time...he is at 7.11...he leaves green and I follow, but wait...I feel my slicks spin so I chase for all it's worth trying to push him out...no chance as I can only go 6.80 all out for the loss...folks told me they saw smoke off my slicks at the launch on MMTV...oh well...no regrets on my part...

Well, that is all folks...I had way too much fun...the weather was unseasonably off but that did not stop anyone from having a blast...great racing and comraderie...Rob and Tony put on a wonderful event and their hard work showed...I am a bit stiff today but will be ready to go again tomorrow for this event...great job fella's....

I am off to watch myself race on the MMTV archives...so cool to be able to do that...thanks to all the sponsors for having them there...I almost forgot to thank my great buddy Mike for letting me use his entry as my second...he couldn't make it but wanted to support the event...thanks again, big guy!...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 01-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
...I put "Cheers to the New Year" banners on the sides of my scooter, tape a white feathers and sparkles Happy new year thingy on top of my helmet and wear giant sparkly 2016 glasses to run this race...
that, which can't be unseen
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks to MMTV it was the next best thing to being there and GREAT racing entertainment. Maybe next year I will male it to the mix. Super write-up and play by play description!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FyA...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Fuzzy,

Caught a number of your runs on the video stream. Great racing and some killer packages! Looked like a great time.

BIGMAC
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Mac...you need to come with next time...it is a blast...they got over 380 cars...nothing but fun...darn good racers but so what...cut a light and run the number and they all fall...

See you soon at OSW, buddy...
Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Nice job, sir! And happy new year!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Nice job, sir! And happy new year!
Thanks Pete...it was a lot of fun...they kept the footbrakers and trans brakers separate in bottom bulb until they couldn't anymore...pretty cool deal...

That was my last foot feed event for a while...I am now going to the button for bottom bulbing...first attempt coming up on the 16 at Palm Beach...woohoo!....here I go...

Happy and healthy new year to you as well...

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing in the New Year right....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bringing in the New Year right....