Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Out with the Old....In with the New...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Out with the Old....In with the New...

Yesterday was a big day in my drag racing life...I sold my car and bought another one...I sold my 81 Camaro as a roller...

I bought this one...a 79 Monte Carlo roller...back halfed, big tire...Dana 60, 5:13 gears...all electronics including a K & R cube...car went 6.30's with a 383 in it...we are going to drop my new 496 in it with my glide...car is fairly light...2750 lbs. with small block in it...should move pretty good with my motor pushing it...yipers!...painted recently with satin silver...
Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Yesterday was a big day in my drag racing life...I sold my car and bought another one...I sold my 81 Camaro as a roller...

I bought this one...a 79 Monte Carlo roller...back halfed, big tire...Dana 60, 5:13 gears...all electronics including a K & R cube...car went 6.30's with a 383 in it...we are going to drop my new 496 in it with my glide...car is fairly light...2750 lbs. with small block in it...should move pretty good with my motor pushing it...yipers!...painted recently with satin silver...
Dan,

Wow! Give us the backstory! What led to the decision to sell the trusty Camaro and buy the Monte?

Jim
Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I couldn't add the pic of the monte above so here it is...

Mac....the decision arose out of concerns with hooking up my small tire leaf spring car with the new motor...more hp and much more torque...the added price between selling mine and buying this was so small it was a no brainer...my concern is going too fast...I cannot and will not go below 6.45 in the 1/8...with my motor the monte may be in the 6.10 range...no good...not only would the physical be an issue but the license, extra costs for safety, etc. are all things I do not need at this point in my racing career...

We will detune her to where I need to be...hope to be back out with this beast by april 1st...
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

I couldn't add the pic of the monte above so here it is...

Mac....the decision arose out of concerns with hooking up my small tire leaf spring car with the new motor...more hp and much more torque...the added price between selling mine and buying this was so small it was a no brainer...my concern is going too fast...I cannot and will not go below 6.45 in the 1/8...with my motor the monte may be in the 6.10 range...no good...not only would the physical be an issue but the license, extra costs for safety, etc. are all things I do not need at this point in my racing career...

We will detune her to where I need to be...hope to be back out with this beast by april 1st...
Understood. With luck I will have the same issue (going too fast ) with my "new" 2012 Grand Sport. I had it at the "Cars for the Cure" car show in Lake Mary yesterday and low and behold my builder Matt was there with his customer Brian and Brian's 1400 RWHP C7. Speaking to Matt I am hopeful we can get the long awaited track testing scheduled at Bradenton Motorsports Park in the next two weeks. Perhaps I can debut my "new" car about the same time as you!

Take care.

Jim
Old 02-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Understood. With luck I will have the same issue (going too fast ) with my "new" 2012 Grand Sport. I had it at the "Cars for the Cure" car show in Lake Mary yesterday and low and behold my builder Matt was there with his customer Brian and Brian's 1400 RWHP C7. Speaking to Matt I am hopeful we can get the long awaited track testing scheduled at Bradenton Motorsports Park in the next two weeks. Perhaps I can debut my "new" car about the same time as you!

Take care.

Jim
I hope you get your new buggy out soon.....you have the patience of a saint...when you do, stay away from me with your beast...lol...
Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Best of success with the new ride, Dan. I always like the styling of the Monte Carlo.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:41 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with the new car.......I like it better than the camaro.

4-Link or ladder bar?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

It is a 4 link, Ralph...Glen helped me pick it up today and it now resides in my driveway...here are a couple of pics Glen took today...btw, 6 weeks ago it went 6.25 with the 383 in it...yipers!...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 02-15-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

hope you don't mind me posting this photo myself, Dan, but I am trying to figure-out the 'PAINT' option for pictures that I have stored

in the above profile, I tried to remove the previous driver's name & number from the windows without it looking too-amateurish
Old 02-15-2016, 05:58 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

NICE......
Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Glensgages
hope you don't mind me posting this photo myself, Dan, but I am trying to figure-out the 'PAINT' option for pictures that I have stored

in the above profile, I tried to remove the previous driver's name & number from the windows without it looking too-amateurish
I think it looks great...thanks...
Old 02-27-2016, 01:29 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Congrats Dan
Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking bracket car FD. With the big tire and 4 link that thing should hook on marbles...and with none of the infamous G Body Shuffle.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited by 99ZX9R; 02-27-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I got the word yesterday...I will be bringing the Monte to the shop on Thursday...they will put in the new motor and glide and fix a few other small items...hopefully we will be doing shakedown runs in a couple of weeks or so...
Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

All the best with the new ride Dan. I love that Monte Carlo body style.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Man that thing is straight and crisp. She's gonna hurt some feelings for sure GL with her!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

I got the word yesterday...I will be bringing the Monte to the shop on Thursday...they will put in the new motor and glide and fix a few other small items...hopefully we will be doing shakedown runs in a couple of weeks or so...
April is just-around the corner (or clock), so how is this progressing?

Get notified of new replies

To Out with the Old....In with the New...

Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Glensgages
April is just-around the corner (or clock), so how is this progressing?
We will get back to working on the car this afternoon according to the shop...I had to stop all proceedings due to a medical issue...sciatica knocked me down for 3 weeks...only getting better as of today...I figure the car will be ready in a week or so....

How is your deal coming?...you shaking yours down soon?...
Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

plugging-away at constructing the shop, and some additional house renovations

hope to make squirts during the Summer off-season, and be ready for the cooler racing later this year, and next Spring
Old 05-01-2016, 05:51 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Well, as usual with these things, it took a lot longer than expected...first it was a serious header issue...we finally moved the engine back a bit and got them in...btw, it took three shippings to get them...first they shipped the wrong ones...then UPS ruined the box and parts "fell" out...finally we got the correct headers...sigh...

Next we realized the driveshaft was now too long...had to send it out to be shortened...got it back finally and now the driveshaft loop did not fit and had to be massaged...

Last weekend I made a couple of other decisions which pushed us back a bit more...I decided to change gears before even running the car...the 5:13's are coming out and we will put in less gear...somewhere between 4:56 and 4:30's...need to check on a carrier issue possibly...Dana 60's are all new to me...

Lastly, I decided to pull out the air shift deal and replace it with an electric shift solenoid...I did not want to drag a generator and air compressor to the track with me to refill the tank all the time...

Anyway, we are now shooting for next Friday to test the car...if all goes well, I will leave it at the track and race in the IHRA points event the next day...fingers crossed...the good news is the IHRA has waived getting a physical to get a license for a 9 second car...I would still need to do the on track tests but that is no problem...I am still trying to keep the car above 10 seconds...

Quick Reply: Out with the Old....In with the New...