Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

A bittersweet race Report.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default A bittersweet race Report.....

I went to the last points race of the season at Orlando Speedworld...I have already made the team for Palm Beach but needed some seat time in my new ride...

Arrived at the track at 2PM today...it was stupid hot again at 94* and humid...in fact we went through a rain shower a mile from the track...they dried it out and we made our first time shot at 3:50PM...the track temp was shot with a laser and it was 147*...sheesh...

I wnet a 6.82 with a 60 tree...not good but better than 2 weeks ago at palm beach...our second time shot came at 6:30PM and I went 6.85 with a 49 tree...getting a little better but was not sure why I slowed down...might have been in a couple inches deeper on staging...

First round was called at 8:20PM and it was still 90* out...not a breath of breeze either...not fun...I lined up with an old friend in her mustang vert with a 409 chebby motor...we have raced each other since 2004 at Bradenton...she dialed 6.46 and put 6.84 on my dial board...I left first and felt OK about my light...she left green as well and I led her through by half a car...her win light came on...I was way under with a 6.79 which came out of nowhere...I was .013 on the tree but she hammered me with a .007...oh well...

Big Mike made the walk of shame for me and I bought back in...they called second round at 10PM...I lined up with a second gen Camaro...he dialed 7.26 and I put 6.79 on my board...he went red by .008 and I had a 49 tree but ran it out to go 6.84...WTF?...5 numbers high...good grief...

This is not going as planned, sport fans...Round three is called and it is now 11:40PM...gonna be a late night...I pull into the staging lanes and who pulls up on me but the same lady in the mustang vert from round one...we laughed about it but this is where the bittersweet part comes in...

We were next up to the head of the staging lane and she pulled on up...I fired up the car but it would not move in 1st gear...ruh roh!....I final got her to move in high gear (I have a glide) and got back to my pit...all the other gears worked but first...put it on the trailer and I was done...

The sad part is I had the tranny freshened up not two months and 21 passes ago counting tonite even though it really did not need it...it is an FTI piece and I know darn well they will fix it at no charge...my problem is I only have 48 hours until I leave for the division finals at south Georgia.......I will be at FTI at 8AM on Monday morning and pray they can figure out a way to pull the tranny fix it and put it back in for me to go...I know if Greg Samuels can do it he will...

I really thought the curse of the Camaro was behind me....I am not a happy camper right about now...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 09-11-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I really enjoy reading your race reports. And, as you already know, if racing was easy, we'd all be grand champions. Hang in there. You'll have a run of good luck one day because of this I'm sure.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

wow, FD..

Good luck with the transmission, and the Division Finals!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Capn'...I was at FTI early this morning...Greg found the problem in under a minute...turns out the cord going to the trans brake button on the steering wheel was worn and grounded out...this caused the brake to be on at all time...no wonder the car would not move in first gear..sheesh...

The good news is it is all good to go so I am off to Georgia in the morning...woot!!!...we simply disconnected the brake for the time being...I am foot feeding now anyway...
Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Woot!!! love the simple fixes!

Safe travels
Old 09-12-2016, 10:34 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Great news....Leaving wednesday morning see you up there....Can't wait. Save a spot for me...................................... ........
Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another interesting read. Good luck to you guys at the finals
Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

The division 2 east finals have been postponed...weather report is horrible all week until next Monday...don't know when or where they will end up but I will be there...obviously they need to hold the race prior to October 20th when the world finals begin at Memphis...

OK, update time...the division II finals have been rescheduled for the house of hook, Carolina Dragway, on October 5th to the 9th...looking forward to it...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 09-13-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A bittersweet race Report.....

Quick Reply: A bittersweet race Report.....