Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

The "Not so Big Buck Blast".....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default The "Not so Big Buck Blast".....

I attended this event and just got back...I won't go round by round since I went 19 rounds over the weekend...here are the high and low lights...lol...

I arrived at South Georgia Motorsports Park at about 5 PM on Friday afternoon...unloaded the rig and got ready for the test n tune and gamblers race that night...I just put in a tweaked FTI converter and glide...first time out...I felt the converter was a bit tight so they loosened it 500 rpm at launch...same stall at about 5500...

The car hit good from the first pass...I entered the gamblers and off I went...I averaged .021 on the tree for 5 rounds and made the final...sadly the switch that controls both my cooling fan and water pump froze in the off position...a buddy made the final as well so we split the money...I tried for a .000 tree just for fun and went .021 red, shutting down...oh well...at least I paid for my entire weekend up front...woot!...

The funny part is the car never once ran the number, not even close...I won hitting the tree and driving the finish line...I thought it might be the fuel regulator we had to epoxy since it was spouting like "old faithful"...obviously broken inside...

Anyway, Saturday morning arrived freezing to us puzzies...48 degrees....yipers!!!!...by our first time shot it was all the way up to 60...brrrrrrrrrrrr...my whip was flying and went 6.72 and 6.75...time to start racing for the first $5 grander...I win two rounds and in the third round I am ahead a ripping like crazy at the finish line...I kill 5 mph and still go 6.70 on my 6.75 dial...sheesh...my 330' says I was going 6.68...good grief!...

OK now it is time for the 32 car shoot out...pays $2500 to win...I am dartboard dialing at this point...first round I tree my guy .030 to his .078...see ya...second round I get a friend and killer.....he runs a 72 Nova in high gear only...he dials 6.52 and I leave 6.72 on mine...I leave green, as he does...he is not catching me like he should and then it happens...the front of my car dips down like I hit the brakes...WTF?!!!...I realize that the car did not shift to high...qwap!...I slam it into high manually but it is too late...he passes me and takes the stripe for an easy win...fooey!!!...

Back in the pits the time slip says I had a .012 tree to his .045...I then go find the dunce cap and sit in the corner...I had forgotten to check my air shifter tank...apparently 14 passes is the limit....sigh...I pumped it back up, charged my battery, filled the fuel call and was ready for tomorrow...they had another gamblers but I was too beat to go...

This morning comes and it is freezing again...go ahead and laugh...my one time shot is 6.72 with a 1.45 short time...first round I catch a guy in in a blazer dialed 6.98...I put 6.72 on mine and off we go...I catch him early and take him through ripping a good bit...I killed 4 mph and went 6.74 for the win...wait, how could it go that fast ripping?...oops, my 330' time showed I was heading for a low 71 or high 70...

Round next I get a hitter with a Malibu wagon that does giant wheelies every time...his name is Jon Siegel...we are friends but, oh well...he dials 6.37 so I leave mine at 72...we both leave green and at the finish line it is tight as a tick...he takes me through by .004...my car ran 4 numbers high with a 6.76...he was 3 numbers high with a 6.40...damn!...we were close on the tree with me being .020 and him at .028...my car let me down...

I drove well all weekend averaging .022 for 18 passes not counting the red eye and driving the finish line tight....we have work to do replacing the switch panel, rebuilding the fuel regulator and I have decided the compressed air shifter is not for me...we plan to replace it with a C02 cartridge if the current plumbing allows...

Next up is a $2500 to win No Box event at Gainesville on December 3rd...to think this is the cliff notes version...lmao...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 11-06-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:03 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Good deal, sir! Thanks for the recap.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:32 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Fuzzy,

Nice weekend. Compare yours to mine. Took the new build 2012 GS out for the first time to OSW Sunday T&T. I expected traction problems on the NT05R 345/30/19 DR's and some tuning gremlins but never in my wildest imagination expected things to go so badly. Keep in mind this car did 736 RWHP on the dyno and should be easily in the 9's @ 145 MPH.

Run #1 Spun badly, clicked it off at the 1/8, 60': 1.839, 1/8: 7.199 @ 100.59

Run #2 Spun badly, stayed in it all the way, 60': 1.704, 1/8: 7.193 @ 99.68, 1/4: 11.143 @ 125.12

Run #3 Blew up "built" A6 trans on launch. (Run #3 on the trans)

What a bummer. With my builder out of business I am taking the car to a local LSX shop but he can't take it until 11/21.

Looking on the bright side, at least I did not blow up the motor or put the car into the wall. Things can only get better from here. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

BIGMAC
Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I am so sorry to hear this Mac...you have the patience of a saint...I wish you all the best with the new whip...

My junk is coming around...it went a 6.701 with a 1.42 short in that cool air...once we get the latest round of problems fixed she should be good for a while (fingers crossed)...lol...

Thanks Cap'n...
Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan, if you and your car were ever working at the same time, you'd be very hard to beat.
The following users liked this post:
Fuzzy Dice (11-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To The "Not so Big Buck Blast".....

Quick Reply: The "Not so Big Buck Blast".....