Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Early exit for Yours Truly....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Early exit for Yours Truly....

Today I raced the NHRA points event at orlando speedworld...weather was wonderful...high of 72 and humidity of 52%...light breeze from the north...I got to the track at 10AM and took my first of two time shots at 11:30...I went 6.73 with a .062 tree...I tried staging a bit higher at 2700 rpm but pushed in a bit...oh well...

Second time shot at 1:15...I staged at 2500 rpm and it was much better...went 6.64 with a .021 tree...I am ready...they call us up at 3PM for first round...I catch a second gen camaro dialed 7.01...I have 6.65 on my board...

We leave at almost the same time so I know he is in deep do do...I am way ahead so I rip it scrubbing 7 mph and running 6.70 ftw...now they call round two at 5PM...who pulls up next to me but the same guy I beat in round one...oops...based on my 330' number from round one I dial 6.64...I was heading for a 62 looked like...my light was .031...

He was not much better on the tree and I ripped like crazy again scrubbing 11mph this time and running 6.72 ftw...my 330' said I was heading for a 6.60/59...I was .035 on the tree...

Round three and I dial 6.62 thinking I am holding 2 to 4...I get a newer stock eliminator mustang dialed 8.39...he leaves and I follow green...my car starts moving around and I cannot catch him or even get near him...I go 6.73 flat out for all she's got...sadly, the re-prepped the track just before we ran and something was amiss...btw, I was .041 on the tree to his .089...sigh...

So that is how my day ended early and frustrating...hate doing my job and losing anyway...oh well....good news is the car ran good and never missed a beat...

OK, I have an update...this morning I looked at my time slips very closely...turns out my first time shot matched up with my third round loss almost exactly...the 60' was exact to the 1/1000...this tells me I was staged a hair deeper than I should have been...I know I was a tad deeper than I want on my first time shot...oops...

This is not the first time this has happened...I have decided to drop my stage/launch rpm to 2300 and see if this lets me stage more consistently...the car will run slower and I will probably need to adjust my spot on the tree but I need to figure this deal out before my first big money footbrake event...sigh...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 03-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

FD,

The weather was great, your car ran well, and you went some rounds. I call that a pretty good day...but that comes from a guy with two broken race cars. (BTW, I hate to run the same guy twice particularly back-to-back.)

I hated to miss another race but my shop has been too busy to take my C5 to fix the broken harmonic balancer. Things have a way of working out however as my wife is under the weather and I would have felt bad leaving her alone.

On my C6 GS I had a setback when the shop had it all back together only to have trans fluid leaking from the back of the trans. The shop feared there was a crack in the trans case that was not discovered when the broken rear shaft and adapter plate was repaired in Dec. Everything had to come back out to send the trans back to the trans shop. I did get some good news on Friday (for a change) as it turns out the case is good and the problem was a bad rear shaft seal. Trans will be on the way back Monday. I have been afraid this car is truly cursed and I have been thinking about asking my pastor to perform an exorcism to drive out the demons!

I hope to be at the next race.

BIGMAC
1998 C5 (Avatar)
2012 C6 GS (Build going on 3 years and still not functional )
Old 03-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I looked for you Mac and figured something was still broken...glad to hear your stuff is working it's way back...hopefully see you next time...

I always have fun but it is frustrating when you tree a guy so bad and lose...it was my own fault (see edit above)...anyway, car is running good and once I get this staging nonsense figured out I will be dangerous....see you soon, bud...
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would deep stage keep my spot on the tree and launch around 1500 rmp while holding .05-.07. Another way to skin the cat.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hey Kaz...I trust all is well with you...I will get this right soon...I only have about 30 elim passes on this car so far so I am still kinda getting used to it...pretty different from my small tire Camaro...lol....
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Hey Kaz...I trust all is well with you...I will get this right soon...I only have about 30 elim passes on this car so far so I am still kinda getting used to it...pretty different from my small tire Camaro...lol....
Hope to get back to the track in the fall for some seat time in prep for the 2018 season. I don't know what I will be racing but I will be racing. The firebird was sold a month ago to a bracket racer in Gainsville. The "blue car" is up north and a buddy will pick it up and take it to his place in Jersey for belts, brakes, and battery. If I run that I will have to get something to tow lol. I can't get the car until August so we will see what pans out.

Get notified of new replies

To Early exit for Yours Truly....

Quick Reply: Early exit for Yours Truly....