Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

C5Z mid 5s on blower

Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by scott5
Are you talking about John with the red c5 of terry with the black c5z?

This one. He's gone back and added quite a bit of power since this pull. This car is really heavy so I'd think it would be even harder on transmissions than my car.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 03-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

BTW, Peter Huff has shown us that by getting a car light and making it very efficient, big power isn't necessary to run great numbers in the 1/8th. His car runs very close what mine did last year and he's all motor. If he was to add some N2O to his car, he'd be able to run times I could only dream of. I've been trying to follow his lead by making my car light and efficient this year as well as adding some power via the new head unit and FAST LSXR 102 from Tony Mamo.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 AM
scott5
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea that's the John I am thinking of, built by Tick performance. I am not 100% sure but I don't think the car has been down the track. I know I have seen him and it at cars and coffee shows though or atleast hasn't been down the track since I have known of the car in the past year.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 AM
scott5
Instructor

Terry's cars on a 4.xx pulley went 5.56 on a level X 4L60 at full weight plus cage and safety features in his Z and dynod at 997rwhp I believe. I am hoping to get some videos of his car this weekend as most of the vettes will be in stick class including me
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by scott5
Yea that's the John I am thinking of, built by Tick performance. I am not 100% sure but I don't think the car has been down the track. I know I have seen him and it at cars and coffee shows though or at least hasn't been down the track since I have known of the car in the past year.

He's been down the track many, many times. We trade notes and vids back and forth between track visits. He runs about like I do but does it in a slightly different way because he's waaaaaaaaaaay heavier but has 350 more horsepower up top than I had last year. He also launches on a transbrake. We launch off idle. He hasn't run a 1/4 since his latest tune up but given our similar times and MPH's in the 1/8th, I'm sure he's a tenth or two quicker in a 1/4 mile than my car at 5-6 more MPH at least. He's another guy that keeps telling me something was just not adding up with my car and that's it's some sort of freak to run what it does. Then I feel pretty good until another guy pops up with 300 less horsepower than I have and claims to run quicker and faster than I do at a similar weight so who really knows, right???? That's actually happened several times and they might just be trolls/kids because when I hear that it's someone talking **** and not engaging in meaningful conversation. I know I'm expecting 5.50's @ 126-127 on slicks with the conservative tune up that's going in the car at first (Mid 900's to the tires according to Jay @ Mayhem Motorsports) and then hoping for 5.30's @ 130 once we turn the tuner loose with the new FAST LSXR 102 and ported throttle body from Tony Mamo that's yet to be installed and see how much power a F1-A blown 4 bolt combo can really make. I've even got a .2" smaller supercharger pulley in reserve just in case the power falls way short of 1100 to help bring it nearer to the goal. If I get 1100RWHP the numbers show the car should be capable of 5.30's @ ~130. I'll report back as it happens no matter what it runs.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
scott5
Instructor

Hopefully he brings it out Saturday to see what it does. Going to be a few mid 4 to mid 5 sec cars there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5Z mid 5s on blower