Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

NHRA roll cage rules for 9.99

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default NHRA roll cage rules for 9.99

2012 C6, removable top, not a vert but not really a hardtop.

NHRA 2013 amendment:
Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage. The amendment, as its phrased in the NHRA’s 2012 to 2013 amendment document states:

in addition:
except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Regardless of the amendments, I'll be putting a cage/bar in the car but would like to use a 4 point. Car is a weekend driver and should see occasional times in the 9s when it does go to the track. Since I won't be participating in events, I'm willing to run most of the day above 9.99 and do 1 or 2 blasts under that and hopefully just get yelled at and not permanently booted. Will be running at Atco, Island and eTown in Jersey.

Question is does my removable top count as a "hard top" or considered a "T-Top" and can I really run 10.0 with just a 4 point? Sounds way too good to be true.

Last edited by NJ_phil; 03-10-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

NO! You need a 5 point bar to run from 11.49 to 10.00. Faster than 9.99 you need a full cage 6 points + 2 door bars. The 3 tracks you mentioned are the toughest when it come to enforcing these rules. All being NHRA tracks but also in Jersey the State Police enforces motor racing rules.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
NO! You need a 5 point bar to run from 11.49 to 10.00. Faster than 9.99 you need a full cage 6 points + 2 door bars. The 3 tracks you mentioned are the toughest when it come to enforcing these rules. All being NHRA tracks but also in Jersey the State Police enforces motor racing rules.
Not trying to disagree with you in the least, especially after seeing your creds....but how are people posting videos of late model vettes running 9s at ATCO...without full cages? and what's my limits with no cage and limits with a 4 point?

All I need from the track is to dial the car in and can break that up in 3 stages...launch/low end/top end and don't need a 9s slip when all is done. I'm 10 miles from Island and closer to the PA border than other tracks so taking the car to PA is possible.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
mackeyred96 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Not trying to disagree with you in the least, especially after seeing your creds....but how are people posting videos of late model vettes running 9s at ATCO...without full cages? and what's my limits with no cage and limits with a 4 point?

All I need from the track is to dial the car in and can break that up in 3 stages...launch/low end/top end and don't need a 9s slip when all is done. I'm 10 miles from Island and closer to the PA border than other tracks so taking the car to PA is possible.

Thanks
Technically you will be limited to 11.50. I assume that you will be running a power adder of some sort to achieve those times that you state. This will automatically prevent you from using that above mentioned rule.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Technically you will be limited to 11.50. I assume that you will be running a power adder of some sort to achieve those times that you state. This will automatically prevent you from using that above mentioned rule.
Sounds like I'm legal if I keep the 1/4, 11.5 or over...1/8th, 7.50 or over and limit mph to 120. If so, I'll be happy with that till I figure out the cage. Wife won't be happy snagging her nylons on the lower door bar mount or climbing over bars when she goes food shopping
Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

That should work for you.

When it comes time for you to pull the trigger on a bar, do some research and get a custom bar built for your car.

When properly built, they can be very unobtrusive with a removable door bar.

Be sure to look at some of the installed bars when you go to the track. You'll find several of us at atco.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:48 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capthuff
That should work for you.

When it comes time for you to pull the trigger on a bar, do some research and get a custom bar built for your car.

When properly built, they can be very unobtrusive with a removable door bar.

Be sure to look at some of the installed bars when you go to the track. You'll find several of us at atco.

Looking at the RPM 5pt with the additional rear brace. Looks pretty solid and good to 9.99. Esthetics are important and installation doesn't look that bad either. Please PM me if you guys plan to get together at ATCO so I can check out a few.

Thanks
Phil
Old 03-12-2017, 02:54 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks
Those runs at Atco are done at a private track rental where 20 or so car get together pay $200 or more each to make unlimited runs. On these day they look the other way and no rules apply.
Ps, I was involved (I was a pain in their ***) with NHRA to get the roll bar rule changed from 12.00 to 11.50. I wanted it even lower because of how fast these Corvettes are right off the show room floor but NHRA is afraid of insurance and liability cost. That 12.00 roll bar rule was established back in the mid '60s when cars were much slower.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:57 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

A 4 point bar is treated as if you have no bar. 5 point is the minimum required.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM
davered00ss
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Does the cage need to be padded? Looking at running the car at New England Dragway or Lebanon Valley.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Does the cage need to be padded? Looking at running the car at New England Dragway or Lebanon Valley.
Cage must be padded in the area that would come in contact with the driver in his/her seat!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:07 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davered00ss
10:6 HEAD PROTECTOR
In any car where a roll bar or roll cage is installed, a padded
head protector must be provided at the back of the driver’s head
and constructed in an attempt to prevent whiplash upon impact.
The roll bar or cage must be padded wherever it may come in
contact with the driver’s helmet. Adequate padding should permit
minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1. The use
of weather stripping and similar thin or low impact resisting
materials is prohibited.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like I'm legal if I keep the 1/4, 11.5 or over...1/8th, 7.50 or over and limit mph to 120. If so, I'll be happy with that till I figure out the cage. Wife won't be happy snagging her nylons on the lower door bar mount or climbing over bars when she goes food shopping
Get the right cage builder and you'll never even know its there...

DMC Racing...cough cough.

- Travis
Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking at the RPM 5pt with the additional rear brace. Looks pretty solid and good to 9.99. Esthetics are important and installation doesn't look that bad either. Please PM me if you guys plan to get together at ATCO so I can check out a few.

Thanks
Phil
If you're looking for just a 6pt bolt in bar I'd highly recommend the RSD bar. Very easy to install and with the door bars removed you'll never notice its there.

- Travis

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA roll cage rules for 9.99

Quick Reply: NHRA roll cage rules for 9.99