Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Chief Dan Blackcloud is in Da House....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Chief Dan Blackcloud is in Da House....

and he kicked my butt today...I went to the Summit points event at Orlando today...gorgeous weather...high of 82* and humidity at 55% with a nice breeze...gates opened at 2Pm and racing began at 3...

My first time shot I ran a poor 6.73 with a .041 light for some reason and found out why when I got back to my pit...my coolant temp was at 230* and climbing with a bullet...turns out the hot wire to my water pump had come out of the connector...sigh...fortunately I don't think I hurt the motor...we jury rigged the wire with electricians tape and put water back in the radiator...temps dropped and all was good...whew!...

Went up for my second time shot and it went much better...had an .032 tree and ran a 6.64...alrighty, OK...I put 6.65 on the window and waited for the first round...

They call us up and I catch a buddy in his 72 firebird dialed 7.98...he is a good racer...sadly he completely missed the tree with a .101 light to my .034...oh well...my increments said I was on a 6.63 run...

Round two and I line up with a guy dialed 6.42 in his gen 3 Camaro...I leave 6.65 on my window...he is 90 on the tree to my .029...oops, see ya buddy...looked like I was headed for another 63...

In round 3 I am paired with another friend in his 78 Malibu...fairly quick with a 6.12 dial...I leave 6.65 on mine...all of a sudden I look over at the gauges on my air bottle for my shifter...it is down to a big fat ZERO...qwap...guess I have a leak since it was at 1000 lbs. at the beginning of the event...

I do the only thing I can and turn it off to shift my self...I am lousy at this but I will not give up...I am going to try to hit the tree hard and get to the finish line first...I leave first and do my job with a .012 light to his .050...unfortunately I short shifted too early and was in high gear way too long...he caught me and led me through for the win...fooey con fooey...

I forgot to tell y'all we had to replace my valve springs this week since I found a piece of one on my oil pan drain plug...a new set of Manley's and I thought I was good to go...Chief Dan had other ideas....lol...

Now it is back to the shop to find the leak on the shifter deal, put on a new connector for the water pump and replace the coolant temp sensor which I have to tap with a wrench to make it work...

Am I having fun yet?...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 05-06-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Chief Dan Blackcloud is in Da House....