Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Need help understanding my timeslips

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:41 PM
DozerC6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need help understanding my timeslips

I have a 2016 Callaway Z06 A8 3LZ that I’ve taken to the track a couple of times. I have attached my two slips from last night. I’m confused by my 2nd pass. I had a better 60’ time but then the performance drops off (not sure why) but then my ¼ MPH is higher than my 1st pass. How can all of the other measures be worse for most of the pass but then the MPH be better at the end?

I’m new to drag racing so this doesn’t seem logical to me.

Thanks,
-Paul

Last edited by DozerC6; 05-11-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Are you paddle shifting or leaving in D? Looks like your shift between 60' -330' were different RPM or you had some wheelspin after 60' on #2. What was the wind doing? Head or tail from one run to the other or stronger from one run to the other? Also that 60' in the second run could indicate you were much shallower in the beam so had more run at the start line when the timer is tripped. Your MPH at 1/8th is down 1 mph in the second pass as well so either different shift point or wheelspin.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keith Richards:
bigsapper (05-14-2017), DozerC6 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM
DozerC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
Are you paddle shifting or leaving in D? Looks like your shift between 60' -330' were different RPM or you had some wheelspin after 60' on #2. What was the wind doing? Head or tail from one run to the other or stronger from one run to the other? Also that 60' in the second run could indicate you were much shallower in the beam so had more run at the start line when the timer is tripped. Your MPH at 1/8th is down 1 mph in the second pass as well so either different shift point or wheelspin.
Thank you very much! That is helpful. I just put it in drive and hold on so I'm not sure when it is shifting. I didn't pay attention to the wind either but I will next time.

Is it an advantage to be shallower in the beam? Is that called deep staging? Do you just barely break the 2nd stage light?

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Shallow staging is just flickering on that 2nd light (staged light) so you have a run at the start beam so to speak, when doing this I aim to stage at about 1000 rpm so the driveline components slack is taken up and leave between the 2nd amber going off and the 3rd amber going on, which is tough. Deep staging is rolling in far enough just to turn off the top (pre-stage) light, so in doing this you turn on the top light then the second light then roll in a bit deeper to turn the top light off again this is very risky of red lighting so if you do this you most likely need to use your visor as a blinder to only see the last amber flash on or you most likely will anticipate the 3rd amber and red light.
For most with a stock car like my '98 C5 I keep it in D as well for consistency...be careful this is addicting it can turn into this.....lol

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-12-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

It does not look like you were staged any deeper on your second run since your short time (60') is actually better...the deeper you stage the closer your wheel is to the starting beam...the closer you are to the starting beam the less running start your car has to get going...while inches may not seem like much, when it comes to getting a heavy object like a car moving it makes a big difference in your ET...

Staging deep or just a bit deeper will better your reaction time but always slow down your ET at all increments...your car slowed after the 60' so you spun or something else happened...

As to your MPH, this is only an indication of how much power you are making...your ET increments have no effect on the MPH...your mph is within 10 thou of each other which tells you your HP is consistent...if you make 500 hp then your mph will be about the same every pass unless you break something...

ET is a measure of how well you apply whatever HP you make to the ground...you can have 1500 HP but if you cannot apply it to the ground effectively your ET's will suck...hope this helps...
The following users liked this post:
DozerC6 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:12 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

nice 60' ., what tires were you using?
DozerC6 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM
DozerC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5wolf
nice 60' ., what tires were you using?
Thanks! I'm using MT ET Street SS 345x18.

-Paul

Last edited by DozerC6; 05-22-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's really hard to analyze the data with only two timeslips. But if I were to venture a guess, it looks like you spun slightly after the 60 ft on your second run. That would explain why you had a better 60' but slower ET on your 2nd pass.

All in all, very impressive times.
DozerC6 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 PM
DozerC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
Shallow staging is just flickering on that 2nd light (staged light) so you have a run at the start beam so to speak, when doing this I aim to stage at about 1000 rpm so the driveline components slack is taken up and leave between the 2nd amber going off and the 3rd amber going on, which is tough. Deep staging is rolling in far enough just to turn off the top (pre-stage) light, so in doing this you turn on the top light then the second light then roll in a bit deeper to turn the top light off again this is very risky of red lighting so if you do this you most likely need to use your visor as a blinder to only see the last amber flash on or you most likely will anticipate the 3rd amber and red light.
For most with a stock car like my '98 C5 I keep it in D as well for consistency...be careful this is addicting it can turn into this.....lol
https://youtu.be/jS3337GrXVU

https://youtu.be/TcEg1KMKu7Q
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing. That's pretty impressive.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM
DozerC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
It's really hard to analyze the data with only two timeslips. But if I were to venture a guess, it looks like you spun slightly after the 60 ft on your second run. That would explain why you had a better 60' but slower ET on your 2nd pass.

All in all, very impressive times.
Thanks... That makes sense but I didn't really feel it and the higher MPH really messes with my head.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help understanding my timeslips

Quick Reply: Need help understanding my timeslips