Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Fall Footbrake Frenzy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Fall Footbrake Frenzy...

I just returned from the above event...in a word, I sucked!....this was a three day event at Piedmont Dragway near Greensboro, N.C....a 20 grand to win sandwiched by two 5 granders...all footbrake...my buddy and I are going to double in my Monte...

We take off at noon on Thanksgiving day...a 10 hour tow later we arrive at the track...it is like 30 degrees with the wind blowin'...stupid cold for us...we roll the car off the trailer and unhook...when we can feel our hands again we head off to the hotel to check in...haven't been that cold in many years...

We get up in the morning and it is 26 degrees at 8AM...are you freakin' kidding me?...nonetheless we head out to the track...took forever to get the race car started and my scooter will not turn over at all...I put a charger on the scooter and go warm up the Monte...they call us for our one time shot...he goes first and has a .000 hit on the tree...he wins a $100 gift card for that...I am .020 on the tree which is fine with me...

BTW, 358 cars show up and the joint is packed...lots of Jersey guys too...I go up first in the first round and am .023 on the tree...sadly my opponent is be 00 take 00...he is .007 and takes the stripe by .006...buy back window for me...my buddy drops to break out by .001...sigh...

In the re-run round I am .029 and behind by 29...yup, my opponent was .000 on me...early soup for me...my buddy wins his re-run but is .003 under for the loss in round 2...we go get some nice italian food and hit the sack..oh yeah, it is feezing cold again and they have to cancel the race when the second round just started when someone went sideways...track too cold...those left got a hundred...

Saturday morning and it is warmer...way up to 31 degrees...scooter will not start again...sigh...no time shots at all this day...I put 6.67 on the window thinking I am holding 3...I tree my guy with a .023 to his .063...he left first but I cannot catch him...WTF?...I run 6.72 with my foot in the radiator...damn!...I don't know why I ran 5 over my number and 8 over if I count what I thought I was going to run...my bud was .001 red...we buy back again...

In the re-run my opponent is .010 on the tree to my .015...we have a race, sort of...I dialed 6.70 having figured out what happened in round one...I slid in ever so slightly on staging which stopped me from getting there...my own darn fault...anyway, my guy is dialed 6.91...I come up on him like he is tied to a stump...I give mine two good whomps and lead him through...oops!...I go 6.65 and under by a big 5...qwap!...I was going so fast I took a ton of stripe as well...

So far I have pulled into the staging lanes against the wrong person two times and screwed myself staging which killed my chance to dial properly the next round...not my best event...lol...

We go off and get a nice meal and a good nights sleep...we had not realized they don't start on Sundays until Noon...can't even fire your engine...church country, I guess...with a 10 hour tow home this is not great news...so they start running at 1PM with no time shots again...I dial 6.65 but kill it red and my bud goes .006 red as well...we buy back but rethink it and decide to hit the road...it is 3:30PM with a long ride ahead for us...glad we did since someone hit the wall for a delay just as we left and then another guy mashed his stuff up later on...they did finish the race at 10:30PM...

We pulled in at 2AM to my place...my buddy is still crashed out in my guest room and has 1.5 hour drive to his place when he wakes up...I won't be going back to that event for two reasons...way too cold for me and that late Sunday start with a long tow home...he also has the family deal and missing Thanksgiving as another reason he won't return...

I am skipping a $2500 to win at gainesville in two weeks since I have to move...I plan to race at Orlando on the 23rd and then the 3 day New Years Nats on the 29th...three 5K's to win at Gainesville...I plan to do a lot better then...lol...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 11-27-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Wishing you better Luck for your next race Dan. Stay well.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

These puppies play ruff. I need a lot of work before I can make an attempt at big buck racing.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Bob...yes, the big money crowd is tough for sure, Kaz...I plan to do a lot better at the new years event..it is on MMTV so we'll all see...the good news is the car is running well which is no small matter for me....lol...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Heading to Gainesville New Year's Eve Nationals. Can't wait.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Tough weekend Dan, glad you made it home safe. Better luck at the next outing!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Pete...we did make it home safe and sound except for one thing...we heard a loud crack driving up there but did not find anything wrong...I found it yesterday...a 4" crack in the windshield along the A-pillar on the drivers side...oh well....lol...
Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
...I found it yesterday...a 4" crack in the windshield along the A-pillar on the drivers side...oh well....lol...
There’s the Dan Black Cloud that we all know and love... sigh... ugh...

Get notified of new replies

To Fall Footbrake Frenzy...

Quick Reply: Fall Footbrake Frenzy...