Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Somewhat General gear ratio question

Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Eddie&Aria.S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat General gear ratio question

Okay so I have this question which is probably not worded right for the answer I'm looking for but is the only way I can spit it forward.... So if you all can answer multiple ways would be great... So here it is Say one car has like 150tq and another car has 480qt but they ran the exact same gear ratios from 1st to final drive what you think the would be differences being that they have the same transmission except obviously the gears and the same motor except one is say stock and the other modified(drivetrain, intake, exhaust, tune) not very realistic gains but it is only to understand something separate I think. Haha... Well have at it guys and if any gals. Looking fwd to this thread conversation! Thank you to all in advance! Throw jokes if you really must, BUT keep it peaceful please. I also have a secondary kind of reverse question, how would the same exact 250tq motor act with different gears like going from those stock to a lower grade(guessing) not for performance gear set. What would those consequences be. These could be stupid questions I know but I know nothing transmissions... 👍
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Acceleration is determined by effective torque delivered to rear wheels. Effective torque is engine torque x transmission x final drive.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Eddie&Aria.S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Acceleration is determined by effective torque delivered to rear wheels. Effective torque is engine torque x transmission x final drive.
Not at all what I was expecting but none the less great info but just to clearly say the motor has 200tq(easier math) you multiply that with any chosen gear being x:1(the decimal)say 2.15 and then you multiply that answer(430) with the never changing final drive ratio say 3.59 giving an answer of 1543.7 which would represent acceleration in what manors and units just to better understand exactly what is being put forward. Thank you for a quick and smart first reply!

Get notified of new replies

To Somewhat General gear ratio question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Somewhat General gear ratio question