Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

New Years Nationals is in the Books...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default New Years Nationals is in the Books...

and I officially suck....lol...

I made the short 4 hour tow up to Gainesville for the event...arrived thursday around 4PM...unloaded the race car and got set up in the pits...registered for my credentials, teched in the car and went off to my hotel and dinner...it was unseasonably cool but the weather report was for great weather...

I got up bright and early on Friday to a very cold day...high 30's...brrrrrrr...there was a light mist in the air as well...we could not begin running until noon time...sheesh...the track was too cold and damp...the day ended up being a bust with the first 5 grander cancelled...we all got one time shot in...mine was a mess...the starter stopped me right at the end of my burn out...I had to back up and do another...it was too much and my car went 5 numbers high on the 60'...oh well...it ran a 6.63...that was it for the day and I went to hang out until the racer appreciation party...

Woke up Saturday morning to the news that they added fridays purse to saturdays so we were running for $10K to win...everything was doubled....woot!...one time shot and mine was another disaster...there was something on the track in my right groove...I asked them to clean it up and they tried but they had 400 cars to run through so we had to keep moving...I launched and got awful wheel hop and spin all the way down...ran a 6.72...sigh...

They finally call first round and I decide to treat it as a $100 time shot...throw any old dial on the car and run it out no matter what...buy backs are a $100, hence the 100 buck time shot...I line up with a good friend in his 68 Camaro...he is a pastor and a very fine racer...we agree to split the buyback...he dials 7.80 which is way high for him....hmmmm...he runs 5:55 gears and leaves in high gear...I put 6.63 on mine which is a WAG to be sure...he goes .005 red so I run mine out...I go dead on with a 1...go figure...

Second round I line up with Lucas Walker in his 5.89 mustang...he is a nationally known hitter...I am ready, kinda sorta...the DA is dropping like a rock and I ran 63 with a one so I drop down to a 6.62 dial...off I go green and he leaves green as well...I have my foot in the radiator pushing hard but I have no chance of getting there...he catches me and hammers me good, parking at the stripe...turns out he was .012 on the tree to my .018...I spun all the way down going 6.72 on my 62 dial...oh well...sigh...they only get most of the way through the second round before they have to stop the race due to a cold, scary track...

Sunday morning they begin to finish the 10 grander...they cancel the last 5 grand race and give us money back...they do plan on running the shootouts though...I am in the no box shootout so I hang out all day for that...at 4:30PM they call us up for a shoot out time shot...I was dozing and a bit lazy but I do my best...I did not do very well...I completely missed the tree with an .089 and spun going 4 numbers high on my short time...I ran a 6.67...good grief!...what the heck do I dial now?...

I get back to my pit and realize I never checked my tires...qwap!...my slick have 12 pounds in them no wonder I spun...I dropped them back to 9 lbs. and dialed a 6.67 thinking I was holding a few if I hooked...I planned to drive the stripe if that happened...I line up with an S Dime SUV out of Jax that I know...he dials 6.51 to my 67...I leave but a bit to hard and go .004 red...sheesh...I run it out for smiles and go 6.64...of course he had a .098 light...

So my event was over...got home last night about 10PM...put everything up...next Saturday is another event at Orlando and hope to do better...if y'all watched on MMTV now, like Paul Harvey, you know "the rest of the story"...lol...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 01-01-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Better than a day at work!

Happy new year, sir!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:57 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Better than a day at work!

Happy new year, sir!
That is for sure. I'm looking forward in spending some "bad" days at the track this year.

Dan, I'm sure I can find additional ways to have bad days. lol

Last edited by kazman; 01-03-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Happy and healthy new year Pete and Kaz...maybe I will see y'all around the water cooler one of these days...I plan to race PBIR on the 27th...I was gonna race orlando this saturday but decided to skip it...we will be changing out the coil, rpm switch and MSD box in the meantime...

Get notified of new replies

To New Years Nationals is in the Books...

Quick Reply: New Years Nationals is in the Books...