Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Ron Higgins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad ending Had a lot of good times racing at E town. Made a bunch of great friends We had something special. Sad it's over
Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 PM
1stvette94
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

End of an iconic track. I started going there in the mid 80's to the summer nationals, car shows, as well as doing some racing. I will surely miss racing there and all the people I've met over the years. A great place to be because we were all there for the same reason, cars and racing.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Sad to hear.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Sad day. I live/work within 15 minutes of the track and have run my cars there on occasion since high school. Been a spectator to many events and Summernationals as well. Took my son last summer. Really sucks that it's just shutting down! Hope someone can undo this, but money talks and apparently storing cars is more profitable than racing them.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Higgins
Sad ending Had a lot of good times racing at E town. Made a bunch of great friends We had something special. Sad it's over

Sad to hear. From what I've read Moto X, drifiting, carts and the Road Race track will still be operational. Also the swap meets and car shows and concerts etc.
Sad though, 1965 is when the drag racing there began and 2018 is when it ended 53 years. Too bad it couldn't have been longer. I remember going there back in the early 70s and saw Jungle Jim race his funny car there. The CC were fun days and I met a lot of great people. Atco and Island raceways are still operational and at least we have that......for now. So, wonder where the Summer Nationals go now since the venue is gone? Atco maybe ?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

Sad news indeed. I raced there a few times in the late 60's and early 70's along with Pocono Drag Lodge, Island Dragway and Lebanon Valley (Lived near Port Jervis, NY). I live in Mid Missouri now and have to drive 2 hours to Gateway or 3 1/2 to Heartland Park.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Sorry to hear. Seems like it's a sign of the times. Sacramento Raceway is rumored to close in the coming years. Developers are taking over racetracks throughout the country.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Sorry to hear. Seems like it's a sign of the times. Sacramento Raceway is rumored to close in the coming years. Developers are taking over racetracks throughout the country.

Raceway park is staying open, they are just ceasing the drag race track. So it's not going to developers, at least not yet.

They say they are concentrating on Motocross and Drifting as well as hosting tough mudder events. Might be a lie, as they lied to all the employees and told them drag racing was staying.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just one more that closed.
My list of tracks where I've raced is now at 10 closed and 14 still open. Irwindale just got a reprieve as a 2 year lease was approved to avoid a shutdown scheduled for the end of this month.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I remember when you showed up one day when I was there with the Corvette Challenge in your C6 with Arizona plates. It was a first class facility and since moving down here to SW Florida the closest real track is 100 miles away. But as you said, they're closing them down everywhere.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

WOW! Its been years since I've been there.... Great memories....
Old 01-19-2018, 12:55 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

A while back they were involved in a battle over noise affecting the surrounding neighbors - intensified when a mosque or something was built nearby....

Maybe that fight got too expensive....
Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Glad to have met so many good people at the track; especially at CC races. This I will truly cherish.

As for the track, I could not really care less. Only 30 minutes away from Etown but preferred to go to Atco where I was treated and still being treated much better. (However, I must state that Jeanne, Alan and Michele are awesome people.) Most of the time, track personnel busted chops about running a couple hundredths under 11.50 prior to the 2008 ruling. Very frustrating considering we were attempting to qualify in an index race and had no reason to run under. As for track prep, it was almost non existent at times. I know that even auto cars had issues down track at certain races. (Banging gears and getting loose at over 100 mph is not my idea of fun.) They even cancelled one of our races because a better opportunity for a Mudders Event was put together. They did not even have enough class to discuss it with our organizer (Edgar). Etown decided to run their business in that direction and could care less about any of its supporters (racers). Sounds like the Napps will survive with the deal that they have put together.

I have no regrets due to the many good people I have met over the years.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

wow , real surprised to hear this news

Raced the Corvette Challenge for many years.

Was looking forward to the 2018 season.

I wish they gave notice like " this is the last year of drag racing"

Vic
Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oh1vette
A while back they were involved in a battle over noise affecting the surrounding neighbors - intensified when a mosque or something was built nearby....

Maybe that fight got too expensive....
Its possible, probably they had to look at the revenue they were taking in from the drag strip operations and weigh it against what it was costing in legal fee's and track operations. Less overall liability to store cars on the property than to run the drag strip. And it seems more profitable as well.

So, anyway, the only music that fits the mood in my honest opinion is the piano exit from Layla. If I get time I'll try to put a slide show together with it.

End of an Era for sure, but, glad that I can say "I raced there" though.

Last edited by Tsab; 01-20-2018 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Going there since 76. Murphy as governor and now this NJ gets worse every day. Well if you have a track record it stands forever.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Eljay
Going there since 76. Murphy as governor and now this NJ gets worse every day. Well if you have a track record it stands forever.

I don't have high hopes for the new Governor either.

Get notified of new replies

To RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:57 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought with a the attention given to drag racing from the TV shows on Discovery channel
that the attendance and participation at all the tracks in the country was up. I was thinking that this was the best time in decades for this activity. I wonder how the last year was compared to the previous 4-5 years???
Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

NJ is simply out of control and the most unfriendliest state to do business in. Between ridiculous EPA requirements, insurance costs, labor costs, local and state ordinances, it's a wonder they stayed in business this long.

I believe the EPA shut down Island a few years back because their septic system couldn't handle the theoretical max attendance numbers. So they had to shut it down because of the inability to process 3 tons of **** from 10,000 people, just in case that many showed up on a Sunday afternoon. Porta potties helped fix that one.

I would bet ETown shutdown wasn't caused by lack of revenue, more like rising costs.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
NJ is simply out of control and the most unfriendliest state to do business in. Between ridiculous EPA requirements, insurance costs, labor costs, local and state ordinances, it's a wonder they stayed in business this long.

I believe the EPA shut down Island a few years back because their septic system couldn't handle the theoretical max attendance numbers. So they had to shut it down because of the inability to process 3 tons of **** from 10,000 people, just in case that many showed up on a Sunday afternoon. Porta potties helped fix that one.

I would bet ETown shutdown wasn't caused by lack of revenue, more like rising costs.
Yep, and according to United Van Lines NJ is second in the nation for Outbound Migration.

I believe it too. A couple of years ago I tried to rent a truck to move some equipment. The Budget rental nearby had didn't have any trucks because they were all going out of state one way. By the way, NJ was number one for outward migration in 14, 15, and 16.

Quick Reply: RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.