Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

There is a petition to keep it open:

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/364/...way-park-open/
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DblTrbl

That ship has sailed, they leased the space to Insurance companies to store cars.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:13 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by DblTrbl

The only thing thats gonna do is get you on some stupid mailing list..
Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Ellis is right. Best thing is see if another track will fit you in. It sucks but I do remember at E Town's CC guys coming from Maryland and Delaware, Connecticut, PA and even further. Since I've moved down here to SW Florida the closest 1/4 mile strips are both 100 plus miles away. How many people do you know that traveled that far just to E Town? Just saying.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Still got Atco, and Island. Not exactly convenient for some, but, they are still around. I like Atco, set some personal bests there a while back. Hope they stay open. Etown had its faults and such, but I never wanted to see it halt the Drag Racing there. Drag Racing is what put it on the map so to speak. I will always remember the the "Shake Down" at Etown. I liked it better than the Pro's. Spectators had a good view of the track from just about anywhere in the stands at Etown as well. Anyway, fond memories of days gone by. One of the most fun days I had at Etown was running the GM EFI back in 09 0r 10 after the Corvette challenge.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Ellis is right. Best thing is see if another track will fit you in. It sucks but I do remember at E Town's CC guys coming from Maryland and Delaware, Connecticut, PA and even further. Since I've moved down here to SW Florida the closest 1/4 mile strips are both 100 plus miles away. How many people do you know that traveled that far just to E Town? Just saying.
I have been going once every summer from Long Island(99 miles trom my house). Less than two hours to get there and over three coming home in traffic. Not sure whether Atco or Island will be closer to me now.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

I stumbled across this today. Another Icon from the past some people may recognize it. Things always change.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Just another for old time sake.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Due to health reasons I dropped out of the CC a few years ago and was thinking of revisiting this season...
I just heard the E-Town news while watching the NHRA at Pomona on Fri. evening...

Maybe I'll make it out to Island with the Vette this season; haven't been there since I raced the '86 IROC-Z in the late 1990s.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eljay
Going there since 76. Murphy as governor and now this NJ gets worse every day. Well if you have a track record it stands forever.
How true! Going to try and get out of this state now, Alex and crew finally made the decision very easy for us.

And I was talking to my wife about your track record remark when the bombshell was dropped on us.

I am the only 3 time King Of The Track winner at E-Town. No one else has done it and now no one else will ever have a chance. My buddy Bob Mullaney won it twice, and my second win was over him, lucky for me otherwise he would have the 3 time crown!

I was the last ever Top Street Champ, and my wife was the last ever 11.50 Index Champ.

I would rather have seen the drag racing remain, but it is what it is....
Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Heard a rumor that the car parking deal fell through for Etown ? Can anyone confirm ?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Jerseyvinny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsab
Heard a rumor that the car parking deal fell through for Etown ? Can anyone confirm ?
I’ve heard the same story from different sources including one fellow who told me his friend was on the board and they will not allow the car carriers to come through. I’ve also been told the timing equipment was sold to Island dragway to use as backup. Also heard NHRA is pissed and will not certify the track. So there the rumors stand. I don’t know if they would have to reapply to the zoning board to get their permit back. The noise issues might pop up there. Or they could lease it out for someone else to run. All this is gossip so, like, Tsab, I’d be interested in reading what others have heard. Maybe we’ll get the track back. If you’ve ever run at Island, you appreciate Englishtown.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseyvinny

I’ve heard the same story from different sources including one fellow who told me his friend was on the board and they will not allow the car carriers to come through. I’ve also been told the timing equipment was sold to Island dragway to use as backup. Also heard NHRA is pissed and will not certify the track. So there the rumors stand. I don’t know if they would have to reapply to the zoning board to get their permit back. The noise issues might pop up there. Or they could lease it out for someone else to run. All this is gossip so, like, Tsab, I’d be interested in reading what others have heard. Maybe we’ll get the track back. If you’ve ever run at Island, you appreciate Englishtown.
I'd like to think that e-town management was smart enough to have a plan B which would allow them to re-open the track again someday. But given the mis-steps I have seen so far, it seems unlikely.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

copart and iaai,have been using that place since hurr sandy,3-5 years now,car carriers have been in and out of there 24/7 since too

try going out on long island,to Calverton [the old gurman aircraft factory] copart has been there too
Old 07-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

The Story I heard is that, who ever they struck the deal with wanted improvements to the road or something and the town shot it down. Like I said its unconfirmed.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jerseyvinny

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
I'd like to think that e-town management was smart enough to have a plan B which would allow them to re-open the track again someday. But given the mis-steps I have seen so far, it seems unlikely.
Eric, I would tend to agree with you. Based upon some of the earlier decisions which seemed to go against conventional logic, I'm not sure that they had a plan B filed away just in case.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Hmmm, They are having the Diesel Trucking Nationals this year along with other activities minus the drag racing. Makes you wonder if that rumor might be true about the car parking deal falling through?

http://racewaypark.com/

Last edited by Tsab; 07-18-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM
PK4268
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blast from the past circa mid-1970s. This is the Raceway Park I remember as a young teenager in the early 1970s and loved best before track owners were forced to build a sound barrier wall which changed the look and character of the original track and eventually morphing into a modern super track design which was eventually copied by many other tracks doing away with the look and feel of the original drag strips.

More drag racing photos from the 1970s here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ag-racing.html

Last edited by PK4268; 07-24-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 PM
PK4268
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another angle.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Jerseyvinny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PK4268
Another angle.

Englishtown still had that early drag strip feel but it was on the 1/8 mile track. I had been running the 1/8 track the last couple of years as the 1/4 mile was too crowded since they went over to Sunday only racing. If you run Tsab's clip posted in this tread on 02/03/2018 you can see the 1/8 mile track in action. Waiting to find out what Englishtown's plan B for the drag strip will be.

Quick Reply: RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.