Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

If it walks like a Duck and....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default If it walks like a Duck and....

quacks like a duck...it must be me at the drag strip...lol...

I raced on Orlando's first points event of the season yesterday...I was just a duck on the pond for all comers...it was cloudy and about 65*, actually a very nice day to race...I didn't cook like a Christmas turkey in the staging lanes...

My frist time shot at around noontime was good...6.69 @ 102 with an .018 tree...then it began...sigh...my second shot was 6.76 @ 102 with an .013 light...wth!...I spun off the line...this almost never happens with my 32x14 slicks...

Well, time for the first elim so I put 6.71 on the board and take my chances...I get a buddy from this board, Big Mac in his supercharged vette...he turns it a tick red so I run it out to see what's up...I was a lucky boy...I spun really bad this time to a 6.90...sheesh...

I ask around and some folks are spinning, some not...big and small tire as well...second round I get another friend in his 74 Dart...he puts 7.80 on his whip and I have no idea what to dial...I have taken a pound out of the slicks so I guess with 6.78 dial...he leaves and I chase, both green...well, chase is not quite correct...I immediately go left, correct and go right, then left again then I pedal, then I lift and get back on it...complete joke spinning like crazy...I end up at 7.09 and on the trailer...

The wear holes on my slicks show plenty of rubber left...they have 170 runs on them and should be fine until around 240-250 runs...seems to me it is one of two things...the track was bad or the sidewalls on my slicks are shot...I do run stiff sidewall slicks, btw...my car weighs 3270 with me in it...

I am going to go back to Orlando for another event on the 17th...if it spins again I will know it is most likely my tires...if so, I may try the new MT pro bracket radials in the 32x14 size...

p.s. I should have mentioned it might be shocks as well...we'll see...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 02-06-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

How was Orlando? Get any traction?

When's your next PBIR visit?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Orlando did not go as planned last weekend...the tire pressure issue worked out fine and 11 lbs. looks like my new number for the slicks...sadly, my car developed a miss on my first elim...I could not run the number and put her on the trailer...going in the shop next monday...

I plan to be at PBIR on March 3rd for that IHRA points event...hope to see you, my friend...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

If my schedule stays as it is now, I’ll see you there.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Capthuff
If my schedule stays as it is now, I’ll see you there.
Cool...look forward to it...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Orlando did not go as planned last weekend...the tire pressure issue worked out fine and 11 lbs. looks like my new number for the slicks...sadly, my car developed a miss on my first elim...I could not run the number and put her on the trailer...going in the shop next monday...

I plan to be at PBIR on March 3rd for that IHRA points event...hope to see you, my friend...
FD,

I came by to see you and saw the car on the trailer after R1...wondered what happened.

I went out in R1 in Pro as I took a nap at the tree. I did go to R4 in Sportsman and lost when I took too much stripe and broke out. On the last few runs the car started making a terrible grinding noise on the way down the return road...the rear end may be going south. This is on top of my continuing tuning problems. Car goes to the shop this Thursday so I hope it will be ready for the next points race on March 3.

Good luck with your ride.

BIGMAC
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Mac...always something, huh?...lol...I am hoping the miss is a minor fix...we'll see...I raced Casey in his newer vette...he was 30 on the tree to my 33...my short time was best of the day but then she began missing so I could not get to my number...oh well...

Good luck with your whip, my friend...

Get notified of new replies

To If it walks like a Duck and....

Quick Reply: If it walks like a Duck and....