Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Mickey Thompson Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson Tire

I have an 05 Base with M6. The car makes 450whp. I am considering using Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S as a street tire for this car that gets a few thousand miles a year in mostly good weather. I realize this tire is not good in the rain however how well does it do as a street tire. I am considering these as I'm afraid pilot sports wont offer enough traction for intended use.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly N Low
I have an 05 Base with M6. The car makes 450whp. I am considering using Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S as a street tire for this car that gets a few thousand miles a year in mostly good weather. I realize this tire is not good in the rain however how well does it do as a street tire. I am considering these as I'm afraid pilot sports wont offer enough traction for intended use.
I would not run the M/T S/S for regular street use. I recommend the Nitto NT05R if you are going to put on street miles. The Nitto does not hook quite as well at the track but works much better on the street.

BIGMAC
Old 02-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I would not run the M/T S/S for regular street use. I recommend the Nitto NT05R if you are going to put on street miles. The Nitto does not hook quite as well at the track but works much better on the street.

BIGMAC
Thanks BIGMAC
I looked at the NT05R but they don't make many 19's so closest one would be a 12" tire on a 10" wheel. That was kind why I was looking at MT SS.
So you think the MT's don't have very good street manners?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks BIGMAC
I looked at the NT05R but they don't make many 19's so closest one would be a 12" tire on a 10" wheel. That was kind why I was looking at MT SS.
So you think the MT's don't have very good street manners?
The M/T will wear quickly and if you ever get caught in the rain make sure you have an extra pair of undershorts with you...

BIGMAC
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
The M/T will wear quickly and if you ever get caught in the rain make sure you have an extra pair of undershorts with you...

BIGMAC
Oh OK
Maybe a bad idea. I guess I'll just get a set of Pilot Sport 4s. Then I'll have to get the MT's mounted on some spare wheels. Just tryin to save some tire money. I've seen some cars at the performance shop I deal with using the MT on the street and thought I would check it out
Old 02-23-2018, 10:56 AM
dieselracer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NT05R 305/35r19 is what I run as my everyday tire. Drives much better then the M/T SS.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Third set of MT ET SS drags

Absolutely love my MT ET SS drags on my Z06. I have had great results with these tires as my DD, drag strip, and AutoX event tires
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dieselracer
NT05R 305/35r19 is what I run as my everyday tire. Drives much better then the M/T SS.
What size wheel are you running the 305's on?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 AM
dieselracer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What size wheel are you running the 305's on?
I run them on a 12", they recommend the range to be 10 to 12" wheel for that tire. So I am on the maximum.

Get notified of new replies

To Mickey Thompson Tire

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson Tire