Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

2014 C7 drag race question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 2014 C7 drag race question

I have a 2014 Base C7, Auto, and the only mods are the addition of an AFE CAI and drag radials on stock rims. I've only had just over a half dozen passes on the car and only 3 on the drag radials, but I'm somewhat disappointed in it's performance. A couple of years ago, I had another 2014 with all the same options, although a different brand of drag radials, and it went 11.88 @ 117 done in July, yesterday, July 21st my "newest" 2014 only went 12.02 @ 116.06. The only between the two cars is the fact the 12 second car is a 2LT and the 11 second car was a 3LT, and of course the "brand" of drag radials, and even the burnout procedure was the same. As the first car was over two years ago, I can't remember for sure if the runs 2 years ago had the same condition on launch, but yesterday it seemed like the car was very sluggish on the launch, compared to what it feels like on the street, but of course it did not spin the tires on the track. What I'd like to know is if anybody else has had similar experiences with a car equipped the same, and did NOT have an aftermarket tune in the car. I really don't want to do any other mods to the car, even an aftermarket tune for that matter, as one of my other Corvettes is a 10.30 / 130 mph dual purpose car (it's for sale if anybody is interested) as I like the 2014 being this close to "factory stock" condition, as it's my DD and don't want to compromise it in any way, but I'd like to see it perform a little better "down low" at the track....any suggestions??
Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Dave-T
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaBlue14
I have a 2014 Base C7, Auto, and the only mods are the addition of an AFE CAI and drag radials on stock rims. I've only had just over a half dozen passes on the car and only 3 on the drag radials, but I'm somewhat disappointed in it's performance. A couple of years ago, I had another 2014 with all the same options, although a different brand of drag radials, and it went 11.88 @ 117 done in July, yesterday, July 21st my "newest" 2014 only went 12.02 @ 116.06. The only between the two cars is the fact the 12 second car is a 2LT and the 11 second car was a 3LT, and of course the "brand" of drag radials, and even the burnout procedure was the same. As the first car was over two years ago, I can't remember for sure if the runs 2 years ago had the same condition on launch, but yesterday it seemed like the car was very sluggish on the launch, compared to what it feels like on the street, but of course it did not spin the tires on the track. What I'd like to know is if anybody else has had similar experiences with a car equipped the same, and did NOT have an aftermarket tune in the car. I really don't want to do any other mods to the car, even an aftermarket tune for that matter, as one of my other Corvettes is a 10.30 / 130 mph dual purpose car (it's for sale if anybody is interested) as I like the 2014 being this close to "factory stock" condition, as it's my DD and don't want to compromise it in any way, but I'd like to see it perform a little better "down low" at the track....any suggestions??
That is a difference of 0.14 in ET and 1 MPH. That difference can easily be seen with weather conditions. Even though both days were in July you could have still had big differences in weather. BP and amount of moisture in the air effect DA which will effect how much HP you make and of course your ET. Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. Also compare the 60 foot times from both runs.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 PM
oklahoma
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The stock program on the C7 begins to retard ignition timing at 86 degrees as much as 10+degrees and coolant temp can also retard timing above 210 degrees these two variables will explain the difference in your performance.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-T
That is a difference of 0.14 in ET and 1 MPH. That difference can easily be seen with weather conditions. Even though both days were in July you could have still had big differences in weather. BP and amount of moisture in the air effect DA which will effect how much HP you make and of course your ET. Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. Also compare the 60 foot times from both runs.
Just tires being diff & weather can more than make this small diff. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 drag race question

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 drag race question