Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Close but no Cigar....

Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Close but no Cigar....

I raced in a charity event today at Palm Beach...it was the Drag Race for the Cure benefiting Cystic Fibrosis...I entered the No Box class...up this morning at 3:45AM and on the road at 5:20...gates opened at 7:20AM...it turned out to be another Africa hot day...the high was 91 with a DA of +3450...sigh...my first time shot was at 10:40AM...I went 6.710...I completely missed the tree with a .073 light...I got my second time shot about 2.5 hours later...I went 6.706...my car is finally coming around after the dyno tune and carb work...yippee!!!...sadly my tree was an awful -.041...no bueno...

First round was called and I drew a fast mustang dialed 6.20...I put 6.71 on my glass and off we went...he never showed up at the big end so I whomped and scrubbed 10 mph for the win...he goofed something up with a .336 light...oh my!...good thing he did since I was a sparkling .066 myself...good grief...oh well, on to the round next...

They called us up for second round and I went right up...wth?...I ended up last in line for the right lane...folks must have gone up without being called to the lanes...I hate that qwap...anyway, I get the bye run and he puts me in the left lane...he dials 6.89 to my 6.72...we both leave green and I catch him by the 330' mark...we both drive the stripe whompimg like crazy...he parks his at the last second but I am ready and mash the gas...I take the stripe from him ftw...I beat him on the tree but it was still a real good race...btw, he is a young gun and a hitter...

On to round three...I get a 70 chevelle dialed 7.42...he is a good racer...I leave 6.72 on my board...he is off and I follow green..we get to the stripe and I am looking at him hard...can I take the stripe or should I feed it to him?...hmmmm...he never even turns his head and I decide I can take the stripe...oops...I goofed up and he took it by .003...btw, I ran dead on with a 2 but he had me by 11 on the tree...fooey!!!...early night for me but at least I got to shake off some rust...my car was deadly so I am thrilled about that...now I need to tighten up my lights...

Next up may be the IHRA division 2 east finals at Darlington in SC this coming weekend...I have not decided to go or not yet...lol...then on to Rockingham NC on the 25th to 28th for a 5 race event...then the Fl panhandle on Nov. 8th to 11th for three $10K's off the foot...then the Citrus Nationals at Palm Beach on Thanksgiving weekend for two $5 granders...then three events in December culminating with the New Years Nationals and three $5 granders...phew!!...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 10-08-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Nice to see the car coming around. Now, you have faith in it. As you know, that helps a lot in this game.

Good of luck at your next event!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Nice to see the car coming around. Now, you have faith in it. As you know, that helps a lot in this game.

Good of luck at your next event!
Thanks Pete...yes, it has been a two year fight to get the car right for brackets...pump gas can be a beotch...lol...I am really looking forward to a busy fall season now...I am shooting for one of those trailer checks...he he...
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Next up may be the IHRA division 2 east finals at Darlington in SC this coming weekend...I have not decided to go or not yet...lol...then on to Rockingham NC on the 25th to 28th for a 5 race event...then the Fl panhandle on Nov. 8th to 11th for three $10K's off the foot...then the Citrus Nationals at Palm Beach on Thanksgiving weekend for two $5 granders...then three events in December culminating with the New Years Nationals and three $5 granders...phew!!...
most are parking their rides, licking their financial wounds, and preparing for next year, while you are just gearing-up
Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Glensgages
most are parking their rides, licking their financial wounds, and preparing for next year, while you are just gearing-up
That is true, Glen, but fall and winter racing down this way is the best...it sure feels good to be back at it...woot!...

Get notified of new replies

To Close but no Cigar....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Close but no Cigar....