Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

So much for this Bright Idea...

Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default So much for this Bright Idea...

I decided to race an event at Orlando Speedworld this weekend...They had 13 classes but I did not fit in any...all the index classes were either too fast or 1/4 mile...my car is set up for 1/8 mile racing...I decided to run Super Pro which is a full electronics class...I ran it off the bottom bulb using the button...I admit it was fun watching the Pro Mods go a 1/4 mile in 5.70 seconds at 255 mph...anyway, my buddy and I arrived at 9AM on Saturday...he ran open comp...we were supposed to get 4 time shots but we got only three...my idea was to get some seat time and maybe hurt some feelings along the way...oops!...no bueno...

My first run I went 6.593 with a stinky .063 light...I tightened the tree up a bit on my second pass going 6.594 and .018 on the tree...the car was deadly , the driver, not so much...my last pass I tried to kill the tree on purpose and I killed it alright....021 red...sigh...

This morning the elims began with no time runs...I put 6.59 on the window wanting to dial hard...I knew I was one of the slowest cars in the class so driving the stripe was pretty much out of the question...I lined up with a friend in his dragster dialed 4.62...I left green and so did he...I looked around and could not see him...then I did exactly what I knew not to do...I whomped and scrubbed a full 4 mph to go 5 over my number...he went by me like I was tied to a stump...I went through the traps at 98 to his 143 mph...truth be told he was 27 on the tree and 11 thou above for a 38 pack...I was 38 on the tree so I had no chance but I could have made it a lot closer race...naturally my 60 and 330' numbers showed I was going to go dead on...crapola!...

I buy back in and in round two I get another friend in his 70 camaro...he dials 5.48 and I put 6.60 on mine...I stage my first bulbs and wait...and wait....and wait...and wait...I am sure he broke and I will get a comp bye run...but no, there's more...I am watching my coolant temp rise to 15* over my normal launch temp...I know then I will not run my number...my car, like most pump gas cars, slows down the hotter it gets... finally he creeps in...I leave green and feel like I am 20 something on the tree...yeah right...I was .051...missed it completely...I run it out the back door and go 6.619...no surprise there but the early numbers said I was going dead on...he killed me with a 30 pack...I found out later his in car dial board was not lit up and he did not know it...he fiddled with it and got it going which took some time...oh well...I still lose if I am dead on so it made no difference...

I am having a rough time with the tree,,,my new routine for the button is fine up to where I press the button and mat the gas pedal...at that point I am on the two step and should be focused on the third amber but I cannot seem to...I look at the entire tree which makes me follow the bulbs down and guess,,,I know how wrong this is but can't seem to shake it right now...I am hoping I can break this with more seat time...I say this from my lips to God's ears...

Next up on the schedule is Palm Beach on the 23rd...I may have sucked but both my opponents gave me an opening which is all I could ask...I had a lot of fun as always...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 03-04-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So much for this Bright Idea...