Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Question on oil change with oil cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 12:44 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be installing oil cooler on my car in next couple of weeks and was wondering how you guys change oil on your cars with the cooler in place. How to drain oil completely from the cooler and than fill it up w/out starving your engine. I am still not sure what kind of cooler I will be installing, but in next couple of days I will make that decision, but based on what I looked at, cooler will hold about 1 quart of oil and that's significant amount of oil to fill before it gets to your engine. I guess what I am asking for is what technique you use to fill and drain your engine oil cooler.
Thanks for all replies and ideas.
Ziggy

Old 07-23-2001, 03:14 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on how you orient the cooler (lines up, down, or side). On mine I put the cooler in so the lines are on top. That way, the cooler doesn't drain when you shut the engine off. The downside is that you can't really completely change the oil because there's still oil left in the cooler.
I'm not sure if I did it the best way or not -- I'd be curious to see what others have done.

Old 07-23-2001, 10:34 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most are oriented that way Mark. My view is that as long as you're on top of your oil changes and didn't blow the motor. that last quart isn't going to do you any harm when dilluted with another 6 - 10 quarts. (depending on your pan, accumulator line length, etc.)
Old 07-24-2001, 12:04 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Looks like I will be getting cooler with top and bottom inlet and outlet. Also does this mean that all the oil will drain back to the oil pan when I park my car?
This is the link for the cooler that I am getting, it's the DB-30616.Click on "FLUIDYNE" products.

http://www.hoerr-racing.com/products.html

Thanks
Ziggy

[This message has been edited by 88WHITE VETTE (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 11:32 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Ziggy,

If you're really worried about it, you could always prime your oil pump first. I have the tool necessary to do the job. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

Old 07-24-2001, 05:00 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ziggy, you might have enough room to mount the cooler sideways (so the inlet/outlet would still be on top). Otherwise, I think at least some of the oil would run back down into the pan after you turned the car off.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:27 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monty:
[B]Ziggy,

If you're really worried about it, you could always prime your oil pump first. I have the tool necessary to do the job. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

Monty,
I am thinking that this might be the case every time. If that's the case, I am not going to prime the engine every time I want to drive it, it would make sense when changing oil, but every time ....no way.
I will make sure that I buy cooler that will "keep" the oil.
Thanks
Ziggy
Old 07-26-2001, 01:44 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkBychowski:
[B]Ziggy, you might have enough room to mount the cooler sideways (so the inlet/outlet would still be on top). Otherwise, I think at least some of the oil would run back down into the pan after you turned the car off.

Thanks Mark,
I will be getting my cooler in couple of days, so I will try your idea.
It should work, also they told me that this should not be a problem with this cooler. I will read the instructions and call the tech sup. to double check before I install it.

Ziggy
Old 07-26-2001, 02:14 AM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the factory oil coolers work as far as draining and priming? Are you saying that the owner's manual in my car may be wrong in the quantity of oil listed?

Larry

Old 07-26-2001, 11:23 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Ziggy,

I was just referring to priming it the first time you use it, to prefill the cooler with oil, so you don't have a momentary period of dry start.

Old 07-26-2001, 08:22 PM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Larry,
Our cars from factory, have liquid to liquid oil cooler. I am installing liquid/air cooler, which is different from stock.

Monty,
I was thinking of filling the cooler before I conect the top hose. I think your idea is much better dough
Are you refering to that shaft that goes on drill and you can spin the pump by it self after removing distributor???
If that's the one, it would be great if I could borrow it from you (I did not know you had it, but than again I am lucky to live so close to you, because you have just about everything, that's needed to work on car ).

I just got the cooler, it looks

Ziggy

Old 07-26-2001, 11:41 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Ziggy,

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Stop by this weekend and you can borrow it. Which cooler did you get, the trick Fluidyne you showed me from the racecar catalog?

Old 07-26-2001, 11:58 PM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Thanks Monty,
DB30616 is the part #, and it's from that catalog that I showed you. It's not chip, at $339 +tax, but quality cost money and you know it!
I also ordered sandwich adapter, once everything is installed I will be heading to MPG for fittings and hoses.
I am going to come over this Saturday, "early" (8 AM) to pick up the tool and show you my "running car"
Ziggy
Old 07-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I can't wait....I'll be in the garage.

BTW, I was planning on going up to MPG tomorrow anyway. I need to get some -10 hose and fittings.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on oil change with oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Question on oil change with oil cooler.