Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Fuel rail removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 08:25 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rail removal problem

I'm trying to remove the TPI intake on my 86 and am having a difficult time getting the fuel rail off. The two torx bolts on the front on the manifold have so far defied all attempts to remove them. So far I have trashed three torx bits. What's a fella to do? Options as I see them are cut off heads and drill out later or cut off heads and drill and helicoil later. I have sprayed them many times with PB and rapped them with the hammer, but still no cigar. There will not be ONE torx bolt on this intake when I get done. 12pt stainless ARP's for me unless someone comes up with a valid reason to use hex heads.

Old 08-25-2001, 02:39 AM
88sk
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel rail removal problem (mash557)

just finished intake upgrade, didnt have problem with mine , came out easy ,try using a manual impact wrench, I always had good luck with them& theyre cheap. :smash:
Old 08-25-2001, 07:20 AM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel rail removal problem (88sk)

dooh, never even thought of that one. Yes, they're real cheap, especially when I already have one from the motorcycle days. Now its out to find a bit. Thanks, saved by the forum again. I'll post the outcome later today. :cheers:
Old 08-25-2001, 06:16 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got an 86 too and had a similar problem some months back.

Torx bits aren't made of strong metal and are relatively each to trash; they're a lot weaker than the bolt they are trying to loosen.

After breaking a couple I realized I had to bite the bullet, so out came my high speed Mikita with it's carbide bit. I ground off the head of the two bolts that wouldn't budge. With the heads off, I could remove the "studs" with only my fingers.

BTW I couldn't use heat (propane torch) because my problem bolts were holding down the fuel rails. Be sure to use lots of anti-seize on the new bolts.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 08-25-2001, 07:21 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel rail removal problem (JAKE)

Jake, what do you think of using 12pt stainless ARP's for all those torx bolts? That's kinda my plan now, unless someone comes up with a good reason not to. Cutting them as you did is last resort, but may have to do it. Thanks
Old 08-27-2001, 01:57 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything short of using a flame is worth a try I guess. I had to grind mine off because by the time I gave up, the heads of the bolts were so rounded off inside that nothing could get a bite.

If you have to resort to grinding them off, make sure everything is buttoned up because they'll be a lot of metal shavings involved.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Jake

[Modified by JAKE, 11:58 PM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-27-2001, 01:57 AM
BIG K
Pro

I too had problems with torx sockets. After getting the set replaced three times at the Auto Zone, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Craftsman.Worked first time.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:53 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Fuel rail removal problem (BIG K)

DITTO'S To BIG K. I bought a set from SNAP-ON.
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel rail removal problem

Quick Reply: Fuel rail removal problem