Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

How to calculate cam lift of current cam??

Old 07-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to calculate cam lift of current cam??

Cam some one explain how to determine the lift in my currently installed non matching number motor. I do have a dial indicator. Thank you. Lee
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Mount your dial indicator parallel to the valve stem, and on top of the retainer, and zero'd out, so that it will read as the retainer moves downward. Roll 'er over "with a wrench", not the starter. It will be easier to do with the plugs out. Start out with the retainer all the way up, then when it starts to move, you can easily watch the dial indicator and count the number of times it goes around. That way you won't get messed up by looking at the secondary dial on the face, if it has one. Keep rolling the motor over until the dial indicator stops going around at max lift. Add up all the dial revolutions and any partial ones to get your lift. That's all there is to it, but make sure your dial indicator has enough travel to follow the valve all the way down.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll try it out next week end.

Get notified of new replies

To How to calculate cam lift of current cam??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to calculate cam lift of current cam??