Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Spark plug hole stripped out. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 PM
clthom2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug hole stripped out. What to do?

I own a 90 Red Vette. One of my spark plug holes are stripped out. A guy wants to charge me $1256.00 to fix it. He says he has to remove the head and re-thread the hole using a heli-coil. Someone else mentioned it should be able to be done without taking the head off. My cousin and I are engine savvy. What should I do?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the guy is right about having to pull the head. I'm not sure about the heli-coil but it is possible.

If you can, pull the head and take it to an engine shop and let them look at it.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I hope that you accidently typed a "1" in the quoted price. The only correct way to helicoil the spark plug hole is with the head off the engine block in a machine shop environment. The aluminum L98 heads have angled plugs so you don't want to screw this job up by guesstimating where to drill for the placement of the helicoil insert.

I would take the head of your Vette, take it to a good machine shop, and have them do the work. If you have to drive the car somewhere for whatever reason, be sure to disconnect the injector harness of the cylinder affected so you don't have unburned fuel washing down your cylinder walls and accumulating in your cat.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is an iron head you cold get the shavings out with a magnet, but if aluminum; head has to come off.

Take head off, heli coil it; and put back on, gaskets, and labor. Estimate sound about right.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

You have an aluminum head, check into repairing it without taking the head off using a heli-coil. Aluminum heads are easy to mess up but they're easy to repair too. Just bring the piston to TDC and vacuum out the combustion chamber with a small flexible tube attached to your shop vac to remove the aluminum shavings after tapping and before the insertion of the heli-coil. Do a search on the internet for "spark plug thread heli-coil" for more info. Should cost less than $50 if you do it yourself...good luck!

Here's a few to get you started:
http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0%01-0%...ead+Repair+Kit
http://timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

This type of repair is done all the time with the head still on the engine. Aluminum is very soft and if any is left in the cylinder, it won't damage anything. It will either burn (yes, aluminum burns) or will get taken out the exhaust.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:21 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1256$? For that price you could get better flowing aftermarket heads and throw them on instead!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
The3
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Just bring the piston to TDC and vacuum out the combustion chamber with a small flexible tube attached to your shop vac to remove the aluminum shavings after tapping and before the insertion of the heli-coil.
I used Timeserts on my 3d Gen Lightning after spitting a few spark plugs. I installed them in each of my plug holes without pulling the heads and never had a problem. The 3d Gen Lightning boys swear by them and some of those guys are running lots of boost. Remember to go to TDC AFTER boaring and tapping. If you are TDC when you start, the seat cutter may hit your piston. Also use grease in the flutes of the cutter to collect the aluminum shavings. The entire job should take less than an hour if you go this route. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM
The3
Racer

Wow, I just looked at the date of this thread and it's old. Sorry to bother everyone.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
jimmyu2
Instructor

Yea it's old alright...but I'm glad I read it. I can never know too much about fixin' my vert!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The3
Wow, I just looked at the date of this thread and it's old. Sorry to bother everyone.
No "bother" for me. Good info is priceless and timeless.

I for one appreciated your input.

Doug
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
machineman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clthom2
I own a 90 Red Vette. One of my spark plug holes are stripped out. A guy wants to charge me $1256.00 to fix it. He says he has to remove the head and re-thread the hole using a heli-coil. Someone else mentioned it should be able to be done without taking the head off. My cousin and I are engine savvy. What should I do?
If it is an aluminum head then I do not recommend a Heli-Coil as that will have an affect on the spark plug's efficiency. There are aluminum inserts that we use but it does require the head to be off the engine.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
machineman
Intermediate

I got fooled by the date too. I assume it is already fixed but I still recommend not using a steel thread insert in an aluminum head.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM
richardfuen
1st Gear

You can also fix this with a time-sert insert.
They have repair kits for stripped spark plug threads.
www.timesert.com

Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM
jinshiyang
3rd Gear

If you have to drive the car somewhere for whatever reasonthread insert helicoil

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug hole stripped out. What to do?

Quick Reply: Spark plug hole stripped out. What to do?