Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Time serts or Heli coils, anyone had to repair them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:37 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Time serts or Heli coils, anyone had to repair them?

I had a time cert and a heli coil back its threads out. Is there a way to repair and replace either or both? The time cert was #8 header bolt , in the back on my C4 and its threads pulled out into the flange of the header. I was snugging up the header to the head prior to torquing. I took header out and the hole is definitely bigger in the head than the original bolt, so I need to repair this.
The other hole was in the head, for the manifold and it stripped and broke its threads, which were Heli Coils. I was doing my first run of 20# torque, so it wasnt over exertion of my arms.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It is easy to fix a hurt helicoil. Just pull it out with needlenose pliers. It will unwind out. Then twist in a fresh insert.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I have the helicoil out, now I need to figure out what to do about the time cert.
I took the header off and the time sert threads backed out and jammed into the hole in the header flange where the bolt goes through. Now I have a little room to work in there. I would prefer not to take the head off, really.

Get notified of new replies

To Time serts or Heli coils, anyone had to repair them?

Quick Reply: Time serts or Heli coils, anyone had to repair them?